• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX6000 series cracked dies and blown voltage rails after December driver update?

Soldato
I don't get the very defensive comments and clearly outright made up posts earlier in the thread claiming this has all been debunked.

Then with no good evidence and pure speculation (some of which may turn out to be correct, but that is yet to be seen as there is no evidence at the moment) people go on the offensive against people raising the issue in the media (who are very objective in what they say). This is possibly the worst conversation thread I've seen on the topic.

No evidence of drivers being the cause either. Unless AMD release a statement, everything else is speculation.

A correlation has been empirically shown. Nothing more nothing less. No one has made up that correlation out of thin air, unlike other things people are making up and stating as facts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
[
I don't get the very defensive comments and clearly outright made up posts earlier in the thread claiming this has all been debunked.

Then with no good evidence and pure speculation (some of which may turn out to be correct, but that is yet to be seen as there is no evidence at the moment) people go on the offensive against people raising the issue in the media (who are very objective in what they say). This is possibly the worst conversation thread I've seen on the topic.

A correlation has been empirically shown. Nothing more nothing less. No one has made up that correlation out of thin air, unlike other things people are making up and stating as facts.

It has been debunked purely for the fact if a driver was causing this issue it would be affecting card worldwide and the numbers affected would be in the thousands, that's the point you seem to gloss over time and time again, it's a few cards in Germany and nowhere else. And they all (for some reason) went to a repair place, do they all "just happen" to be out of warranty as well? I seriously doubt it.

And what correlation has been drawn exactly? That a few people claim using a certain driver on a 6000 series magically cracked the core on their out of warranty cards but it's only cards in Germany that have been affected? Seems legit...

Seriously, Mr Magoo could drive a semi through the holes in this non story.

Soldato
Does anyone here have this issue?

A German repair shop says they've in the last couple weeks received 61 RX6000 GPUs for repair and all of them had blown voltage rails or cracks in the GPU die. Users claim they were gaming, idle or watching YouTube when it died, all cards seem to be using the latest December 2022 drivers

Wont be surprised if all the cards he received were from der8aeur.

Associate
It does appear to have been long enough for me being safe updating my rx6600, if only i could be bothered to :D
If there was anything in this more would have come out by now.

Soldato
It does appear to have been long enough for me being safe updating my rx6600, if only i could be bothered to :D
If there was anything in this more would have come out by now.

How can you be so reasonable, it's been a whole one german repair shop, 50 youtubers echoing the one german repair shop and 500 social media reposters hard at work.

Has their mongering not terrified you :eek:

Associate
There's been an updated video posted today by Kris Fix

TLDW
  • Drivers are NOT the problem
  • All cards tested performed the same with different drivers
  • MBA cards have higher temps due to the stock fan curve
  • The cards had a common source, most were second hand from a cryptominer with damage potentially caused by humidity due to poor storage, cleaning and/or shipping.

Last edited:
Soldato
What a shocker that scumbag crypto miners are the problem. Seems like the cards were probably literally hosed down to clean them, and the moisture introduced has caused havoc when they were sold on and powered up. Also explains why they ended up at a third party repair shop and not returned to AMD via RMA under warranty. I guess you get what you deserve if you support these ****s by helping them offload the cards they've abused.

Shame about the collateral damage. Can't wait for the next decade of Nvidia fanboys bringing up that time AMD's bad drivers caused GPUs to explode.

G J

G J

Associate
So these cards looked brand new as the guy said but they proberly been used and abused and given the water treatment like the videos people where posting a while back with them being jetwashed/hosed down.

I hope but people wont change but stop paying way over the odds or close to second hand and new prices for abused ex mining cards with zero warranty.

Soldato
So these cards looked brand new as the guy said but they proberly been used and abused and given the water treatment like the videos people where posting a while back with them being jetwashed/hosed down.

I hope but people wont change but stop paying way over the odds or close to second hand and new prices for abused ex mining cards with zero warranty.
It wouldn't be such a gamble if second-hand cards were 50-75% of the retail price, at least then it maybe worth taking the risk because if it's FUBAR you can always buy another, but the way things are ATM is ridiculous with second-hand sellers asking for, and people seemingly paying, 80-90% of retail prices.

I'll be honest i had expected the GPU market to have sorted itself out by now but even now there's people asking, and people paying, silly money for GPUs even when they don't have to.

Caporegime
OMG How utterly shocking!!!!!!!!1111111116789

Now can we dispense with the lala land notion that a driver somehow took it upon itself to off 60 or so cards in Germany for ***** and giggles and left the rest of the globe unaffected?

Last edited:
Caporegime
The kris fix video above, they say 47

Regardless of how many it was, how over the top this story got was pathetic. All the clues were there with big **** off flashing arrows over them, yet some people still maintained it has to be an incredibly selective driver with a grudge against Germans causing the issue.

Soldato
It is ridiculous; and when jayztwocents, digital shilleries and hardware unboxed go all out attacking AMD and the drivers, shows exactly their type of journalism

Make stuff up more please, like you did earlier in the thread.

you mean a person removes the cooler to reflow the card and over tightens it then flogs it on? But thats AMD fault? Right? RIGHT?

Good thing you don't do any thing close to journalism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom