• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Associate
Yet to find any game I can't get 'high' FPS on at 4k. Of course, can't run all AAA games 4k all settings max, though 4k medium looks so much better than lower resolutions such as 1440P on max, IMO at leasy. Literally can't stand jagged edges and low resolution graphics.

Like yourself I can't stand jaggies, and I'd always prefer to game at 4K. But certain games like Control, Borderlands, and Even Forza Horizon 5 I'm nowhere near getting 120fps at 4k.

I think some games can still look ok rendered at a lower resolution. Borderlands is a good example, I set the resolution scale (at 4k) to 75% and it isn't jarring.

Associate
4K TV's (LG OLED's) are typically much better than monitors at £1k or under, though these do require big desks, or wall mounting.

4K OLED have been available brand new at £1k or less, also easy to get second hand ones for far less than this.
Ok but for instance in my situation. I have ps5 and series X in my living room for comfortable gaming on a 65 inch Sony and then pc in my office on 32 inch high FPS monitor (1440p), until I can move to a very decent high FPS monitor (doubles for work 9-5) I am not going near 4k. OLED won't do here due to image retention.

Soldato
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-shines-in-the-first-gaming-benchmark

Ryzen 7 5800X3D shines in first gaming benchmarks
XanxoGaming continues to test their Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU, thus far the only media in the world that has the CPU and is not under any embargo. A day after they published synthetic test results of the new AMD CPU, they finally have a gaming benchmark, but it’s probably not what many of us expected.

The publication tested only one game thus far, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, at 720p resolution and custom ultra settings (ultra shadows). Such scenario is commonly used for CPU tests, but more than likely to show smaller differences once the resolution goes higher.

jQvmhNP.jpg

The test has been performed using CapFrameX software with direct help of the developer. This ensures that the process is as accurate and comparable as possible. What is interesting here is that the 5800X3D with RTX 3080 Ti GPU is actually faster than i9-12900KF processor with RTX 3090 Ti, clearly showing that this is a CPU-bound test.

WHINmv8.jpg

XanxoGaming is currently working on 11 game tests at 1080p resolution. Those tests from what we are told are finished, but the data still needs to be compared to Intel system, which may take time. However, we should expect more results in the coming days.

Source: XanxoGaming, @CapFrameX

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Like yourself I can't stand jaggies, and I'd always prefer to game at 4K. But certain games like Control, Borderlands, and Even Forza Horizon 5 I'm nowhere near getting 120fps at 4k.

I think some games can still look ok rendered at a lower resolution. Borderlands is a good example, I set the resolution scale (at 4k) to 75% and it isn't jarring.

Try lowering 'some' settings at 4k, can get huge FPS increases and still keep the crisp sharpness of 4K

Soldato
OP
Ok but for instance in my situation. I have ps5 and series X in my living room for comfortable gaming on a 65 inch Sony and then pc in my office on 32 inch high FPS monitor (1440p), until I can move to a very decent high FPS monitor (doubles for work 9-5) I am not going near 4k. OLED won't do here due to image retention.

I've worked and gamed on a LG CX48 since June 2020. That's several thousand hours for work, games and some media mixed in. 0 image retention, as have thousands of other people. LG have conquered image retention.

Associate
I've worked and gamed on a LG CX48 since June 2020. That's several thousand hours for work, games and some media mixed in. 0 image retention, as have thousands of other people. LG have conquered image retention.

Yeah same here. I've owned an E9 for over 2 years and not suffered any screen burn. Image retention can be normal, and it's only usually temporary.

I really don't think it's a major concern on modern tv's.

Caporegime
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-shines-in-the-first-gaming-benchmark

Ryzen 7 5800X3D shines in first gaming benchmarks
XanxoGaming continues to test their Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU, thus far the only media in the world that has the CPU and is not under any embargo. A day after they published synthetic test results of the new AMD CPU, they finally have a gaming benchmark, but it’s probably not what many of us expected.

The publication tested only one game thus far, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, at 720p resolution and custom ultra settings (ultra shadows). Such scenario is commonly used for CPU tests, but more than likely to show smaller differences once the resolution goes higher.

jQvmhNP.jpg

The test has been performed using CapFrameX software with direct help of the developer. This ensures that the process is as accurate and comparable as possible. What is interesting here is that the 5800X3D with RTX 3080 Ti GPU is actually faster than i9-12900KF processor with RTX 3090 Ti, clearly showing that this is a CPU-bound test.

WHINmv8.jpg

XanxoGaming is currently working on 11 game tests at 1080p resolution. Those tests from what we are told are finished, but the data still needs to be compared to Intel system, which may take time. However, we should expect more results in the coming days.

Source: XanxoGaming, @CapFrameX

1% lows on the right hand side screen cap, 250 FPS, for it to keep frame rates as high as that consistently bodes well for its frame pacing prowess, this thing should be as smooth as slightly warm butter.

Associate
1% lows on the right hand side screen cap, 250 FPS, for it to keep frame rates as high as that consistently bodes well for its frame pacing prowess, this thing should be as smooth as slightly warm butter.

Yeah it's all about "dem lows".

Really has a massive difference to overall smoothness. I'm not bothered about hitting 120fps if I get huge frametime spikes when the fps drops to 65fps. I'd rather have consistency above all else.

I just wish there were more reviews and benchmarks. Are we not going to see any of this until the 20th of April?

Associate
So at a much lower DPI then a 32" 1440 display?

Soldato
10-11% boost in performance (vs 5800x at stock) as seen in Blender is about what I'd expect for what is basically just a cache upgrade.

The numbers look more favourable when compared to the 5800 (non X).

As some others have pointed out, in games the 0.1/1% lows are probably the most important thing.

Zen 4 will upgrade the L2 cache, which might end up more worthwhile.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it might come down to how much AMD allows this thing to be overclocked. If it can at least match the 5800X, it should give a nice boost.

Caporegime
I think it might come down to how much AMD allows this thing to be overclocked. If it can at least match the 5800X, it should give a nice boost.

I think it would have been better if it didn't gain anything at all outside of games, that way at least its firmly just an upgrade for gaming, with small upgrades to other stuff i can see how reviewers might take that as licence to treat it like a generation CPU up grade and with that make their entire narrative about how its not good enough.

Because clicks.

Associate

I'm sure overclocking is not supported, as there are voltage restrictions hence why it can't boost as high. So certainly PBO2 is out the question.

Or do you mean an all core overclock?

Soldato
Not everyone wants to play front of massive screen ? 4k isn't even worth it on smaller screens ain't even gonna notice the difference while sacrificing frames

Pretty sure 1440p is called the sweet spot, picture quality with high frames

This generation doesn't even have much headroom at 4k you need all this upscaling don't know how much lifespan you will have at 4k with current cards , maybe next gen will give the headroom at 4k with higher consistent frames

Console's at 4k sometimes they upscale are capped at like 30-60fps , I couldn't go back to that just feels stuttery to me now
Most of this is true, i did notice the difference from 1440p to 4k, but it's not mind blowing as some would make out (surprise surprise)

4k only pretty recently became good anyway for monitors (IMO) because that's when we had noticeably better pixel response times and higher refresh rates.

So at a much lower DPI then a 32" 1440 display?
He will likely not answer. I've made this argument before. PPI & distance to screen matters.

Associate
I have a 1440P 32" screen, is that bad?

I'd say it's on the edge in terms of screen size for that resolution. The same way 24" was on the edge for 1080P (with regards to monitors anyway). What I mean by edge is any larger with that resolution starts to look bad in my opinion. Some would argue that 27" is the limit for 1440p.

A higher resolution would look nicer, but if you're happy with it then it doesn't matter.

I think the key thing is viewing distance.

Also resolution aside, image quality matters too. I'd rather have a top quality 1080p screen than a budget 1440p.

Back
Top Bottom