• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
ASUS BIOS page:

Clarification needed :) AMD and all motherboard vendors are recommending to upgrade to the latest BIOS. Latest BIOS is beta and isn't covered under warranty? So I guess that's zero motivation for me to upgrade the BIOS then (if I owned AM5), I'd rather install a not-beta BIOS and have all the warranty.

Don’t we all do that anyway when a new chip is launched on an old platform?

New chip release=bios update/weeks/months?

Associate
ASUS BIOS page:

Clarification needed :) AMD and all motherboard vendors are recommending to upgrade to the latest BIOS. Latest BIOS is beta and isn't covered under warranty? So I guess that's zero motivation for me to upgrade the BIOS then (if I owned AM5), I'd rather install a not-beta BIOS and have all the warranty.
I think 1413 is 7000X3D and 1414 is just 7000.

Associate
Ive got a ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS and 7800X3D sitting on my desk ready to be built. I honestly don't know what to do. I REALLY want to stay AMD but all the AM5 problems are concerning. My plan is to wait for the AGESA 1.0.0.7 fixes from AMD to show up for this board in a non-beta BIOS update. I'm prepared to wait but this is far from ideal. Got the next few days off work to build this new system but am worried about this board and CPU without the proper firmware in place. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise :)

Soldato
I am still concerned about malware activating this issue. If it can be fixed by software it can be triggered by software. On two fronts. Firstly is a common ransomware attack: "Pay us or your PC goes pop". The second is more sinister: imagine a state actor infiltrating such malware then triggering it at a critical moment.

I think this requires a hardware solution.

Associate
Read ocuk returns policy and except the standard 14 days they have another one which is 30 days if goods are faulty or not of satisfactory quality (which is exactly what it is IMHO) so if they accept it it will be bye bye amd and hello intel.

Soldato
Ive got a ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS and 7800X3D sitting on my desk ready to be built. I honestly don't know what to do. I REALLY want to stay AMD but all the AM5 problems are concerning. My plan is to wait for the AGESA 1.0.0.7 fixes from AMD to show up for this board in a non-beta BIOS update. I'm prepared to wait but this is far from ideal. Got the next few days off work to build this new system but am worried about this board and CPU without the proper firmware in place. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise :)

List on the MM at -30% restocking fee. Someone will take them off your hands. Problem solved.

But seriously, avoid overvolting and hardcore overclocks, run the latest BIOS and make sure to use a heat sink and fan. RGB/off and blacklist redit in the host file and you should be good.

Soldato
I am still concerned about malware activating this issue. If it can be fixed by software it can be triggered by software. On two fronts. Firstly is a common ransomware attack: "Pay us or your PC goes pop". The second is more sinister: imagine a state actor infiltrating such malware then triggering it at a critical moment.

That's pretty absurd. If malware on your system is capable of adjusting voltages, then it doesn't matter what platform you're on. AM4 or Intel can adjust voltage in software too. Any theoretical malware that could cause this to happen could just as effectively fry any other CPU with voltage. In reality, it's never happened as far as I know (cue examples of it happening).

Soldato
You're on a busy enthusiast forum. No-one has had one go pop. How many did AMD sell? Always good to keep things in context. I'd flash to the latest recommended BIOS and carry on. At worst, given the visibility, you'll get new hardware if anything happens.

4090's are still selling well despite the "burning" GPU stories ;)

Soldato
Read ocuk returns policy and except the standard 14 days they have another one which is 30 days if goods are faulty or not of satisfactory quality (which is exactly what it is IMHO) so if they accept it it will be bye bye amd and hello intel.

MM subtract 30% restocking fee because we all know how dangerous these goods are. Problem solved.

I’m sure you could get a good trade for a 13900 system.

Associate
MM subtract 30% restocking fee because we all know how dangerous these goods are. Problem solved.

I’m sure you could get a good trade for a 13900 system.
I might as well go that route if OCUK doesn’t accept the return.
And it’s not about the goods being dangerous but about it dying in the future due to soc degradation since I can’t run it stable at low Soc voltage.
Those things came out a month ago and are already dying so even with lower voltages they can either die or become unstable with overclocked memory after a year, two or three.
We don’t know it yet and I don’t think AMD does either.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're on a busy enthusiast forum. No-one has had one go pop. How many did AMD sell? Always good to keep things in context. I'd flash to the latest recommended BIOS and carry on. At worst, given the visibility, you'll get new hardware if anything happens.

4090's are still selling well despite the "burning" GPU stories ;)

System For sale.
7950X3D
Asus X670-E Hero
Nvidia RTX4090
Fractal Torrent case

£12 plus hazards goods shipping

User 1
Is the case the X3D Nvidia RTX fire rated asbestos lined version?
Cheers.

Associate
And it’s not about the goods being dangerous but about it dying in the future due to soc degradation since I can’t run it stable at low Soc voltage.
Those things came out a month ago and are already dying so even with lower voltages they can either die or become unstable with overclocked memory after a year, two or three.
The degradation thing is concerning. I'm not gonna lie. At this point no one really knows what that time scale looks like.

Soldato

I’m sure people will take the chance on it for the right money.

Soldato

I agree, never liked these kinds of implementations.
If you keep the system backed up (Arconis True Image) and ever see something like this you can simply format C.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm managing to run soc at 1.2v stable with expo enabled. By stable i mean there were no issues during 8 hours of CSGO and fallen order. Yes the entire evening was a South Park basement moment leave me alone.

Back
Top Bottom