• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
OP
I'm suspecting it is more a systemic issue affecting all motherboards but may be worse on some, it really could just be the LGA socket - after all this is AMD's first venture into LGA with the Ryzen series.
Not really, theyve been doing LGA with Threadripper from the beginning

it would be nice to get hold of a pin out diagram to see roughly what the area being damaged is.

Soldato
Some speculation it is related to bios version 1004 upwards but resolved in 1202. I’ve not updated mine since the release of the 7950X3D so (I would have to check but) I should be running 1001/1002? Whichever one they release at the start of the X3D release.

Soldato
This isn't just Asus motherboards, the majority seem to be Asus but there have been reports of X3D chip failures (burning up) on Asrock & Gigabyte.
There are several (long) reddit threads with people reporting 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D and some non X3d 7 series failures - some burning out the socket and bulging marks on the back side of the CPU.

Reddit threads:

Other:

https://imgur.com/a/1oNS9DC (Asrock 7700X burnt cpu/socket failure, short video and images)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgqlCoL5Qc (Russian YT video, use english translated subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VbutE-Qss (der8auer 7900X died, burnt out itself to the point of de-soldering its HS)

There is something seriously wrong here.....GN are investigating and have been paying people for some damaged mobo's and CPU's.

One theory is it's the bending of the CPU with the LGA socket, causing poor contact and overheating from electrical resistance. A couple of people had issues with random reboots and instability until they installed the thermalright AM5 fixing frame, one guy had to back off the tension from his AIO cooler before it was even remotely stable.
Others are suspecting ASUS mobo's are overvolting too much, even at stock settings.

I'm suspecting it is more a systemic issue affecting all motherboards but may be worse on some, it really could just be the LGA socket - after all this is AMD's first venture into LGA with the Ryzen series.

That would be my guess too

The burning up rtx4000 cards was caused by poor contact between the cable and gpu pins and that could be the case here too - poor contact between the cpu and motherboard pins

Associate
i just upgraded to AM5 last week.....DRATS! MSI B650 and a 7800X3D. Been running without any issues at all....so far :(.Suppose time will tell.
Could be worse, ya coulda just upgraded to a 7800X3D with an Asus Motherboard - like me lol

Although no reports of the ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus having issues. The majority of failures seem to be with the ASUS ROG Strix & Crosshair Hero X670E motherboards.
No reports of MSI failures neither ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not really, theyve been doing LGA with Threadripper from the beginning

it would be nice to get hold of a pin out diagram to see roughly what the area being damaged is.

Its slap bang underneath the 3D chiplet on 2 different socket pics on reddit

But thats Reddit, so hardly a technical breakdown of the component area.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my system up & running today. Core voltages never exceed 1.11v according HWiNfo64

One thing I did notice is the SOC voltage was 1.35v by default - in the past with Zen 2,3 you never ever wanted that to go above 1.2v (and that was high). I've read up to 1.4v is ok on Zen 4.
SOC power was a continuous 20w, even at idle. I dropped it to 1.15v - which dropped it to 13w and hence my package power by 7W under all conditions (idle & full load).

No system instability by dropping it, and i'm running ram at 6200mhz with very tight timings, including sub timings. I suspect they have a higher SOC due to the onchip gfx with Zen 4...since i'm not using that i don't want it continuously burning up extra power unnecessarily.

Edit: SOC voltage is increased from ~1.05v to 1.35v when you enable AMD Expo ram timings, at least on this ASUS mobo. Note this is separate to the RAM voltage increasing to 1.35v for my particular modules (GSkill 2x16gb 6000Mhz 30-38-38-40) when enabling EXPO.

I don't like the idea of EXPO increasing the SOC so much, it's doubling the continuous power draw on the chip from 10w to 20w.
Remember EXPO is a form of overclocking (both the RAM & CPU memory controller) - so i would recommend dropping the SOC voltage down to 1.15v - these were considered safe settings on Zen 3/2.

Also on the ASUS ROG Strix, someone posted their SOC voltage increased to 1.40v when EXPO was enabled. We could be on to something here, possible these SOC voltages are way too high - over doubling SOC on chip power. People using EXPO and certain motherboard bios's setting SOC voltages too high when on EXPO, could be a common link to the CPU failures.

Last edited:
Associate
I highly recommend, as a precaution, to anyone using EXPO RAM settings to manually drop their SOC voltage to a maximum of 1.15v....or just disable EXPO for now if you are not comfortable putting in manual voltage settings.

As discovered, AMD EXPO on certain motherboards (seems to be ASUS specific, but possibly others) is setting high SOC voltages when EXPO is enabled. I'm getting 1.35v SOC voltage on my ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus, and another reddit user posted an even higher 1.4v on a ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING (one of the boards most commonly failing)

The default with EXPO disabled is 1.05v, which results in the SOC package power being < 10W. With the voltage at 1.35v its drawing nearly 21W - over double the stock, non EXPO, setting.

This power consumption doesn't hardly change from idle to load, and a doubling of continuous power consumption just by enabling EXPO is concerning.
This could be causing a localised increase in heat, resulting in thermal runaway from overheating contacts on the LGA socket.

This could all be nothing and normal operation, but I don't like a doubling of power consumption from stock settings - remember EXPO is a form of overclocking, it's bad enough its overclocking the internal memory controller, but with it also cranking up SOC voltage and SOC package power by 100%, it is looking a bit suspect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just got my system up & running today. Core voltages never exceed 1.11v according HWiNfo64

One thing I did notice is the SOC voltage was 1.35v by default - in the past with Zen 2,3 you never ever wanted that to go above 1.2v (and that was high). I've read up to 1.4v is ok on Zen 4.
SOC power was a continuous 20w, even at idle. I dropped it to 1.15v - which dropped it to 13w and hence my package power by 7W under all conditions (idle & full load).

No system instability by dropping it, and i'm running ram at 6200mhz with very tight timings, including sub timings. I suspect they have a higher SOC due to the onchip gfx with Zen 4...since i'm not using that i don't want it continuously burning up extra power unnecessarily.

Edit: SOC voltage is increased from ~1.05v to 1.35v when you enable AMD Expo ram timings, at least on this ASUS mobo. Note this is separate to the RAM voltage increasing to 1.35v for my particular modules (GSkill 2x16gb 6000Mhz 30-38-38-40) when enabling EXPO.

I don't like the idea of EXPO increasing the SOC so much, it's doubling the continuous power draw on the chip from 10w to 20w.
Remember EXPO is a form of overclocking (both the RAM & CPU memory controller) - so i would recommend dropping the SOC voltage down to 1.15v - these were considered safe settings on Zen 3/2.

Also on the ASUS ROG Strix, someone posted their SOC voltage increased to 1.40v when EXPO was enabled. We could be on to something here, possible these SOC voltages are way too high - over doubling SOC on chip power. People using EXPO and certain motherboard bios's setting SOC voltages too high when on EXPO, could be a common link to the CPU failures.

My SOC voltage when first setup was 1.2v, when I enabled expo I and rebooted back to the bios is was 1.35v, so I manually set it to 1.25v as buildzoid recommends, I wouldnt drop it too far as it does have a performance impact, the easiest way to tell is run something simple like cinebench, then test again with it at 1.25v.

You are quite right when you say the limit is 1.4v, however 1.35v is only for ram 6200mhz and upwards, the SOC is completely unlinked from the rest of the CPU in Ryzen 7000 so basically has nothing to do with the core anymore since all these chips basically have a GPU in them, the new Soc voltage is uncore voltage which used to be the 1.2v limit on previous ryzens, it should be around 1.1v on auto in your bios.

Uncore voltage is another voltage all of its own, its not the memory controller as there is a separate option for that in the same list which you'll find is around 1.35-1.39v, then youve got you 2 DRAM voltages (1.35v), the SOC voltage as discussed which I assume is the onboard GPU (ive got the internal GPU on mine disabled in the bios) and then obviously the Core voltage.

Last edited:
Associate
Upgraded this weekend to 7800X3D on Asus x670e-F. Latest BIOS since yesterday. All good so far, temps good using Arctic Freezer ii 360. Other than set EXPO 2 for 6000Mhz cl30 DRAM things at default though.
There is a jumper on the board that allows non safe CPU voltage

Soldato
Asus at it yet again. The z690 hero was burning itself, the z690 apex had major troubles with ram overclocking (a mobo meant to oc ram, can't oc ram, lol) and now this.

Soldato
I highly recommend, as a precaution, to anyone using EXPO RAM settings to manually drop their SOC voltage to a maximum of 1.15v....or just disable EXPO for now if you are not comfortable putting in manual voltage settings.

As discovered, AMD EXPO on certain motherboards (seems to be ASUS specific, but possibly others) is setting high SOC voltages when EXPO is enabled. I'm getting 1.35v SOC voltage on my ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus, and another reddit user posted an even higher 1.4v on a ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING (one of the boards most commonly failing)

The default with EXPO disabled is 1.05v, which results in the SOC package power being < 10W. With the voltage at 1.35v its drawing nearly 21W - over double the stock, non EXPO, setting.

This power consumption doesn't hardly change from idle to load, and a doubling of continuous power consumption just by enabling EXPO is concerning.
This could be causing a localised increase in heat, resulting in thermal runaway from overheating contacts on the LGA socket.

This could all be nothing and normal operation, but I don't like a doubling of power consumption from stock settings - remember EXPO is a form of overclocking, it's bad enough its overclocking the internal memory controller, but with it also cranking up SOC voltage and SOC package power by 100%, it is looking a bit suspect.
There is no way that SoC voltage does this. You'll fry the imc way before you fry the contact pins.

Back
Top Bottom