• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Another one, these are saying applying Expo profiles are causing the voltages to spike on the CPU and causing the burn out: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/tec...p&cvid=6263b8ef6fcf439ab223bfd6a2587ef6&ei=13

There are a lot more threads popping up today that have noticed the high SOC voltages I noticed, as a result of enabling EXPO. It could be unrelated to the sudden surge in X3D chip failures and be a separate, less common issue, or it could be an exacerbator of another underlying issue.

There is at least 1 CPU that burnt up in a similar fashion to the X3D chips, on an Asrock board, but this time the burnt/bulged area was right bang on a specific area of the IO chiplet responsible for various IP blocks powered from VDDCR_SOC.

Regardless if it's related or not, I think it's a good precaution to disable EXPO for the moment (or at least manually lower the SOC voltage).

Associate
I should be getting parts tomorrow to build my new rig - I may just keep EXPO disabled for the time being then. Is there anything else that would be a good idea to keep off? In the terms of the motherboard doing anything to the voyages of the CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another one, these are saying applying Expo profiles are causing the voltages to spike on the CPU and causing the burn out: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/tec...p&cvid=6263b8ef6fcf439ab223bfd6a2587ef6&ei=13

I've noticed that behavior on my e670e Tuf and 7600x, Expo is calling voltages that seem to be excessive.

Are higher voltages required by the memory controller when using memory at it's rated speeds? Is it ok to just diall in the memory speed and timings in manually and sail off into the sunset?

Man of Honour
I've noticed that behavior on my e670e Tuf and 7600x, Expo is calling voltages that seem to be excessive.

Are higher voltages required by the memory controller when using memory at it's rated speeds? Is it ok to just diall in the memory speed and timings in manually and sail off into the sunset?

It used to happen on AM4 boards as well, it is one of the reasons why Ryzen CPU's idle power consumption jumps up above 2666, so I'm assuming they do this because it isn't stable at EXPO speeds and a manual frequency (plus DRAM voltage) will bunk out when stress tested, but happy to be proven wrong.

Associate
I don't use EXPO but configure voltages myself. Currently by MC and SOC are both at 1.15v and memory at 1.43v. But I did notice reported higher than I'd like volts being provided with EXPO.

I will walk down my MC and SOC when time permits as lower is always nicer right :).

Soldato
My VDDR_SOC was also at around 1.33v, set it manually in the bios now to 1.14v as above, that can't do anything but good I'd imagine.

I'm on an ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS WIFI, 1406 bios because the 1408 bios just kept crashing (bsods, even froze in the bios constantly...) and I'm scared to try anything newer because this 'just works'.

What an absolutely mess AM5 is.

Caporegime
My VDDR_SOC was also at around 1.33v, set it manually in the bios now to 1.14v as above, that can't do anything but good I'd imagine.

I'm on an ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS WIFI, 1406 bios because the 1408 bios just kept crashing (bsods, even froze in the bios constantly...) and I'm scared to try anything newer because this 'just works'.

The entire platforms a mess because you're having issues?

Associate

Would say it’s a mess. It’s more teething problems.

Soldato
The entire platforms a mess because you're having issues?
Yep that's exactly what I said isn't it. :rolleyes:

But if we're going to play this game then no - it is not just me that was 'having issues' on many of the ASUS bios', they've churned them out like candy without any clear testing and have tried to hide it, and it's not even just this motherboard either - even the B650 motherboards were having the freezing issues on 1408 and various other ninja versions and deletions.
Not had one issue on AM5 tbf, smooth sailing even on the launch bios and now using 1004 BIOS on the hero. Hopefully you can sort your issues out.
I mean it's working fine here, but whose to say down the line we're not all gonna have issues with these wild voltages being ran for X period of time :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yep that's exactly what I said isn't it. :rolleyes:

But if we're going to play this game then no - it is not just me that was 'having issues' on many of the ASUS bios', they've churned them out like candy without any clear testing and have tried to hide it, and it's not even just this motherboard either - even the B650 motherboards were having the freezing issues on 1408 and various other ninja versions and deletions.

I mean it's working fine here, but whose to say down the line we're not all gonna have issues with these wild voltages being ran for X period of time :)
Sounds like a load of what if nonsense, enjoy your system. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Der8auer has done a video:

He contacted ASUS and asked why the older BIOS's were removed, and the response was quite insightful:

The EFI updates posted on Friday contain some dedicated thermal monitoring mechanisms we've implemented to help protect boards and CPUs. We removed older BIOS's for that reason and also because manual Vcore control was available on previous builds. We're also working with AMD on defining new rules for AMD expo and SoC Voltage. We'll issue new updates for that ASAP. Please bear with us.

The part on the Soc voltage is interesting - seems they are beginning to realise that current Expo 'rules' are too excessive when it comes to SoC voltages. The current BIOS's still set it too high in my opinion (based on the sheer power draw increase of SoC IP blocks at such voltages), so it will be interesting to see what is changed in later BIOS releases.

Soldato
OP
My system only behaves like that when I have memory content restore enabled or on auto, if I disable it then its fine.

Im using Bulidzoids timings and voltages as per the video I posted on the pervious page with Expo disabled, but then I am running a 7900 non X chip, not a 3D chip, I nearly brought the 7800X3D too, im glad I didnt, I was discussing it with the guy I brought my board off and mentioned im not much of a gamer anymore, so then was torn between the 7900 and 7900X, after looking at reviews, there wasnt much difference between the 2 and went for the 65watt part instead of the 170watt part, this thing is super fast enough though.

Its mentioned these along with the X chips can handle voltages better as they are not so sensitive to voltages, my SOC is at 1.25v, im memory testing as im typing this, will probably stop it soon as its been going hours, but I read people were having problems with ram stability with the latest bios, for me so far so good.

fvmroKV.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I’m running EXPO on my 7950X3D and have done since the start. It’s not that causing the issue.

I'm sure it's not all CPU's its going to cause an issue on - even when the cause of failure is found, if it's SoC voltage or VddCR or a combination.....the effects will vary from one CPU to the next. Maybe the majority can handle 1.35v on SoC or higher VddCr voltages, but as always with the silicon lottery you will have some that are less tolerant and eventually let the blue smoke out as a FET shorts etc.

All because yours is fine doesn't mean they're all ok and this isn't the issue (or part of the issue).

Back
Top Bottom