• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
OP
Isn’t SOC everything but the CCD anyway?
Nope not anymore, it's all changed in Ryzen 7000, soc is the onboard GPU only, which is really what it's always been, a little extra helped with the imc in previous ryzens, but now it's completely unlinked, imc has its own voltage setting and you now have uncore for everything else, it's all explained in buildzoids video on ram timings.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up, Kills Itself & The ASUS X670 Motherboard​

I just read that and one thing I was alarmed about was the use of EXPO invalidates the warranty with AMD. From reading several threads on here I always assumed that EXPO was AMD's version of XMP and that EXPO memory kits were certified for AMD but it look's like that isn't the case. This is a mess and Asus/AMD needs to declare what actually caused these as soon as possible.

Soldato
Nope not anymore, it's all changed in Ryzen 7000, soc is the onboard GPU only, which is really what it's always been, a little extra helped with the imc in previous ryzens, but now it's completely unlinked, imc has its own voltage setting and you now have uncore for everything else, it's all explained in buildzoids video on ram timings.
It being the reason for the burning directly under the CCD doesn’t seem likely then.

Associate
My SOC voltage when first setup was 1.2v, when I enabled expo I and rebooted back to the bios is was 1.35v, so I manually set it to 1.25v as buildzoid recommends, I wouldnt drop it too far as it does have a performance impact, the easiest way to tell is run something simple like cinebench, then test again with it at 1.25v.

You are quite right when you say the limit is 1.4v, however 1.35v is only for ram 6200mhz and upwards, the SOC is completely unlinked from the rest of the CPU in Ryzen 7000 so basically has nothing to do with the core anymore since all these chips basically have a GPU in them, the new Soc voltage is uncore voltage which used to be the 1.2v limit on previous ryzens, it should be around 1.1v on auto in your bios.

Uncore voltage is another voltage all of its own, its not the memory controller as there is a separate option for that in the same list which you'll find is around 1.35-1.39v, then youve got you 2 DRAM voltages (1.35v), the SOC voltage as discussed which I assume is the onboard GPU (ive got the internal GPU on mine disabled in the bios) and then obviously the Core voltage.

This is incorrect....

From SkatterBench:

The VDDCR_SOC voltage rail provides the external power for multiple internal voltage regulators on SOC for the various IP blocks, including but not limited to the memory controller, SMU, PSP, graphics, etc. It is essential to know that the VDDCR_SOC voltage must always be lower than VDDIO_MEM_S3 + 100mV. The default VDDCR_SOC voltage is 1.05V.

VDDCR_GFX provides the voltage for the GPU cores on the IO die...

Slide50.png

VDDCR_GFX provides the voltage for the GPU cores on the IO die. The voltage rails can work in either regular mode or bypass mode. In regular mode, the voltage is managed by the integrated voltage regulator and derived from the VDDCR_SOC voltage rail. When the integrated VR is disabled in bypass mode, and the voltage is equal to the VDDCR_SOC voltage rail.

When adjusting the SOC voltage level in the bios, you are adjusting VDDCR_SOC - which is powering the various IP blocks, including the memory controller. This makes sense, as if the SOC voltage was just the GPU voltage, then why would EXPO be increasing it?

Now the EXPO 'spec' is 1.4v max....however EXPO is overclocking, and as AMD have indicated to that one guy on reddit - no warranty when using EXPO, and again I don't like anything that's doubling the power consumption of internal components like the memory controller. As a precaution I would lower the SOC voltage for now or not use EXPO - until we find out more about the cause of failure.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just read that and one thing I was alarmed about was the use of EXPO invalidates the warranty with AMD. From reading several threads on here I always assumed that EXPO was AMD's version of XMP and that EXPO memory kits were certified for AMD but it look's like that isn't the case. This is a mess and Asus/AMD needs to declare what actually caused these as soon as possible.
XMP also invalidates the warranty on Intel. On paper ofc, practically no one can tell

Associate
Yes. No amount of voltage to anything should melt the socket though, your cpu will melt way way before the socket even gives a damn. Something must have gone catastrophically wrong,

Agreed, it is far more likely that something shorted out, got very hot and this caused the burning and oxidisation of the socket contacts. One of the failures on reddit stated that when he came back to his pc when it failed whilst idling, the water block was very hot and the system was still running (just black screen)

The burn mark on the CPU and socket pins is directly below one of the CCD chiplets, and in the case of X3D chips, it's the CCD with the 3D Vcache.

What this actually means - who knows....dd the vcache short out?, did something else die on that CCD or did something kill that CCD (too high an external voltage, internal voltage regulator failure, manufacturing defect etc)

Associate

This just seems to be precautions by the motherboard manufacturers - in effect blaming users for somehow overvolting X3D chips. This doesn't explain why non X3D chips have burnt up in a similar manner, nor the fact it also means that all those on reddit who said they were not overclocking or overvolting - must be lying, and i really don't think they all must be lying.

Associate
This just seems to be precautions by the motherboard manufacturers - in effect blaming users for somehow overvolting X3D chips. This doesn't explain why non X3D chips have burnt up in a similar manner, nor the fact it also means that all those on reddit who said they were not overclocking or overvolting - must be lying, and i really don't think they all must be lying.
it's also either not the issue, or a 'bordering on ludicrous' design defect to allow settings that can deal that amount of physical damage to be set through user-accessible software (BIOS or application).

Soldato
OP
I think the voltage is probably on auto and the board is the thing over volting the chips personally, but hopefully this will stop that from happening.

Associate
Soldato
OP

Pin analysis of the destroyed Ryzen 7800X3D – All burned pins supply the VDDCR (CPU Core Power Supply)​

Obviously overvolted by the board if the voltage was on auto, or overvolted by the end user.

I was looking for a pin out, so thats a good page to save

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom