• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Have been slowly buying AM5 bits over the last few months and was finally ready to buy the 7800x3d...obviously held off with what has come to light but after finally getting everything but the CPU what do i do now? Send it all back? I really dont want to.

Take the plunge with the x3d? Or get a 7600 and see what happens.

Havent upgraded for almost 12 years and was so excited :cry:

It will be fine, update the bios right away and have ago with some settings.

Soldato
Have been slowly buying AM5 bits over the last few months and was finally ready to buy the 7800x3d...obviously held off with what has come to light but after finally getting everything but the CPU what do i do now? Send it all back? I really dont want to.

Take the plunge with the x3d? Or get a 7600 and see what happens.

Havent upgraded for almost 12 years and was so excited :cry:
I'm in a similar boat.
I even made this thread about it.

I've got all the parts here, but I'm nervous about it. I've seen they've limited the SoC voltage but is that enough or does that have knock on effects to other things? I've seen twitter posts saying that the new BIOSes are buggy. Seeing as Asus at least seem to be releasing a bunch of BETA BIOSes all quite close together it would seem that they're perhaps not happy with the solution they have so far. I mean it's understandable that BETA BIOSes are buggy but a little worrying if they're still releasing BIOSes to fix this issue.

Normally, well with an Intel board, it'd be less of an issue as you'd be expecting to replace the board with your next upgrade anyway, but part of the attractiveness of AM5 was that it might last a few generations giving the option of an upgrade path in a few years. But if the X670 and B650 boards have all been patched up with a sticky-plaster (@Scougar I believe you American types call the "Band-Aids" :) ) and then the X770 and B750 boards have hardware solutions (and things like manual vCore, which I believe Asus have removed on X670/B650) then I'm going to be annoyed to be stuck with a current gen board for the life of AM5.

My situation isn't helped by the fact that I'm currently still playing older games so for now I wouldn't see much benefit from the upgrade anyway. By the time I do NEED an upgrade (as opposed to just wanting one) then there might be new hardware out (new Mobos or at least new revisions of current boards, new CPUs, new GPUs, etc.).

Of course now that it's actually here it is quite a challenge to send it back both because shiny new stuff but also lazy and have to organise and pay for the packages to be collected and shipped back.

Soldato
I'm in a similar boat.

I've got all the parts here, but I'm nervous about it. I've seen they've limited the SoC voltage but is that enough or does that have knock on effects to other things? I've seen twitter posts saying that the new BIOSes are buggy. Seeing as Asus at least seem to be releasing a bunch of BETA BIOSes all quite close together it would seem that they're perhaps not happy with the solution they have so far. I mean it's understandable that BETA BIOSes are buggy but a little worrying if they're still releasing BIOSes to fix this issue.

Normally, well with an Intel board, it'd be less of an issue as you'd be expecting to replace the board with your next upgrade anyway, but part of the attractiveness of AM5 was that it might last a few generations giving the option of an upgrade path in a few years. But if the X670 and B650 boards have all been patched up with a sticky-plaster (@Scougar I believe you American types call the "Band-Aids" :) ) and then the X770 and B750 boards have hardware solutions (and things like manual vCore, which I believe Asus have removed on X670/B650) then I'm going to be annoyed to be stuck with a current gen board for the life of AM5.

My situation isn't helped by the fact that I'm currently still playing older games so for now I wouldn't see much benefit from the upgrade anyway. By the time I do NEED an upgrade (as opposed to just wanting one) then there might be new hardware out (new Mobos or at least new revisions of current boards, new CPUs, new GPUs, etc.).

Of course now that it's actually here it is quite a challenge to send it back both because shiny new stuff but also lazy and have to organise and pay for the packages to be collected and shipped back.
I have all the bits here too. I'll be building it on Saturday and putting the latest BIOS on the motherboard.

Associate
I'm in a similar boat.

Go for it, it's a fairly isolated issue, just set your soc voltages manually.
Fingers crossed my water block will arrive on Thursday so i can get mine built before the weekend.

Soldato
OP
ASUS now have a new beta bios 1412 which contains the AGESA 1.0.0.7 Patch A from AMD which is supposed to fix all the bugs found in AGESA 1.0.0.7

Last edited:
Soldato
I have all the bits here too. I'll be building it on Saturday and putting the latest BIOS on the motherboard.

Go for it, it's a fairly isolated issue, just set your soc voltages manually.
Fingers crossed my water block will arrive on Thursday so i can get mine built before the weekend.

My concern is even if they update the BIOS they fix this problem, crudely, but cause other issues in the process. Especially if we've got the AMD AGESA stuff trying to work along side whatever it is that Asus are cooking up.

ouch... burn! (Considering we know each other personally lol).

I can't imagine AMD not warranting it if something did go wrong.
Yeah and I also know that you're not actually American but you've probably had to learn the lingo for a peaceful life!
Also, it's not so much AMD that worries me, it's Asus (although I'm not sure the others would be any better, Asus, it seems, do treat warranties like superstitions (i.e. lots of people believe in them but they're probably not going to do anything)).

Associate
Hello, I've missed all this, been away. how many dead chips have we had?
I built a 7800x3d with a Gigabyte B650M Gaming X AX and 2x16gb Corsair cl36 6000 expo but I did put the latest bios on it F7b a few weeks ago> ~I noticed that the bios is no longer available but there is a new version F7c.
going to check if the cpu is still okay tomorrow morning, hopefully it has as it not been on for more than a couple weeks.

Soldato
This is kinda cool

GN found that when using a microscope and zooming into 1750x magnification, an AMD Logo is visible - these logos are created into the silicon of the IO die and is 60 microns in size

Last edited:
Associate
This is kinda cool

GN found that when using a microscope and zooming into 1750x magnification, an AMD Logo is visible - these logos are created into the silicon of the IO die and is 60 microns in size

They're actually on the metallisation layers, aluminium for the AMD & 2021, copper for the copyright symbol (deeper layer)- still cool though! :)

Pity they didn't etch in 'Max SoC 1.25v'

Soldato
I wonder if amd even has access to the testing equipment that gamers nexus took it to? My guess is amd probably waiting for the gamers nexus analysis and now they got the info a proper fix can be done. Saves money in diagnosing i guess :D
Gonna have to be very careful on buying 2nd hand am5 parts.

Back
Top Bottom