• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
The think that concerns me about all this is the only reason we know about it is because the X3D chips are particularly vulnerable to over-volting, pump them with too much high voltage and they go pop right away.
Other CPU's would still degrade, all be it much more gradually.

I think someone also needs to look at Intel boards because if they are doing it with AMD and we didn't know about it because they don't blow right away you can be sure they are doing exactly the same thing on Intel boards.

LGA1700 CPU's have been on sale so long that we'd have seen evidence of failures by now. I believe the monolithic die CPU's in general have a higher voltage range tolerance.

It'll be interesting to see if Meteor/Arrow Lake (Intel's first desktop chiplet attempt) will start popping after release.

Soldato
LGA1700 CPU's have been on sale so long that we'd have seen evidence of failures by now. I believe the monolithic die CPU's in general have a higher voltage range tolerance.

It'll be interesting to see if Meteor/Arrow Lake (Intel's first desktop chiplet attempt) will start popping after release.

Intel building on massive nodes helps. The bigger the node the more tolerant the chip is to voltage generally.

Plenty of Intel LGA have died/have burn marks/issue running. I was looking at a load just yesterday.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Zen 4 none X3D has been around for a while too and no one noticed, that's my point if you read it :)

Soldato
Zen 4 none X3D has been around for a while too and no one noticed, that's my point if you read it :)
Hardly any Zen4 non X3D have failed though from what I've seen. der8auer's video was probably the first major news source of non X3D being affected (under heavy overclocking conditions).

I think LGA1700 CPU's outnumber AMD at least 10:1 in the wild, we'd have seen it by now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hardly any Zen4 non X3D have failed though from what I've seen. der8auer's video was probably the first major news source of non X3D being affected (under heavy overclocking conditions).

I think LGA1700 CPU's outnumber AMD at least 10:1 in the wild, we'd have seen it by now.

Right, we only know about this because X3D chips started popping like hot corn.

So IMO rather than stopping there this needs deeper investigation, these reckless board vendors don't just make boards for AMD CPU's. Can't do any harm, or can it?

Soldato

I’d doubt Intel are 10-1 very much. Depends on what market I suppose, quad cores with graphics in beige boxes maybe.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if its been mentioned, but 1.0.0.7 AGESA is full of bugs and anyone who has already flashed it they are recommending you to roll back to you previous bios, there will be another new update by the end of may with all the fixes in it and better memory support, it will either be 1.0.0.7a or 1.0.0.9.

Associate
Not sure if its been mentioned, but 1.0.0.7 AGESA is full of bugs and anyone who has already flashed it they are recommending you to roll back to you previous bios, there will be another new update by the end of may with all the fixes in it and better memory support, it will either be 1.0.0.7a or 1.0.0.9.
My machine will stay off. Just picked up a MAC so no real loss.

Soldato
OP
My machine will stay off. Just picked up a MAC so no real loss.

Still using mine, ive just manually set all the voltages excpet vCore, even set them in the AMD Overclocking menu which I normally dont touch, I didnt pay over £1000 for a machine to gather dust, ive got a hoover for that, just stick it in eco mode or reduce the wattage to 65watts, my 7900 performs amazing for a 65watt part, if you cooling is sufficient then there shouldnt be a problem.

heres the link:

Last edited:
Soldato
The CPU-SOC voltage is strange, sometimes its ~1.22 and other times its ~1.27. This is with no load, load takes it up to ~1.28. I am using the latest Beta(1.0.0.7).

Associate
Still using mine, ive just manually set all the voltages excpet vCore, even set them in the AMD Overclocking menu which I normally dont touch, I didnt pay over £1000 for a machine to gather dust, ive got a hoover for that, just stick it in eco mode or reduce the wattage to 65watts, my 7900 performs amazing for a 65watt part, if you cooling is sufficient then there shouldnt be a problem.

heres the link:

I was tuned for volts and timings. Even with manually set volts, motherboards can still pump whatever they want into the SOC. So till they fixed it, I'll stick to the MacBook. Each to their own though, I guess warranty is there if needed if the chip dies before that runs out.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have not noticed any bugs and the CPU-SOC voltage has always been between 1.22 - 1.28. I don’t overclock other than clicking EXPO so will not notice most issues, just disable [wifi, blutooth, iGPU, ASUS rootkit installer] and set ECO 65.
Nope me neither, ive always got HWInfo open in the background at the moment, ive not seen SOC move off what ive manually set it to no matter what im doing, im not using EXPo though, ive manually set everything to do with RAM (Speed, Timings and Voltages)

4j8ql1L.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom