• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
OP
Its probably on auto, I have not changed it.

Unless you hard set it in both the AMD Overclocking menu and you board advanced voltages menu then its going to bounce around like that, but shouldnt go over 1.3v, its the thermal triggers that haven't been implemented yet, so what was happening was too much SOC was killing peoples CPU but even after they died the board continued to whack a tonne of current into the CPU's cooking them to +200oC, but as they were already dead, it didnt have anywhere to go, so the chip swelled up and burned the socket, the thermal triggers either failed or were set too high, in simple terms.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, we only know about this because X3D chips started popping like hot corn.

So IMO rather than stopping there this needs deeper investigation, these reckless board vendors don't just make boards for AMD CPU's. Can't do any harm, or can it?

Yeap, deeper investigation would be good.

That said, I think we'll see some pretty strict limits imposed on Intel's first chiplet CPU's, whether that ends up being 14th or 15th gen. Prob be a CPU to skip as well, doubt Intel will execute as well as AMD can with chiplets, especially for their first attempt.

Man of Honour
Wasn't the thing with the SOC voltage that software won't read the true value and you need an external device to see that actual value?
GN recommended HwInfo as its close enough.

HWInfo will give you a good idea of your voltages, i.e to indicate if you're running SOC at 1.3 and you thought you set it at 1.2.

Its a back-up check, and reasonably accurate, without getting a 'physical' reading with a multi-meter ( which 99% of people wouldn't do ).

For your average user here, it is fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well for what its worth guys, I have been running for a solid two weeks now with EXPO on using Bios 1409 on the Asus TUF X670E and I have been pushing this through its paces for most of that time.

Offset SOC voltage set in the bios and never skipped a beat or had any instability in Windows 11.

VDDCR_SOC runs at 1.17 and never moves during intense gaming or benchmarks. Maybe .01
CPU SOC at 1.2

Asus TUF Gaming X670E-Plus with some relative cheap Kingston FURY Beast EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5
PC5-48000C36 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit (KF560C36BBEK2-32)

Highest CPU temp I have seen is 76 using a Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler

And the funny thing is, I am even enjoying playing Redfall and nearly completed Hogwarts so I must be mad :D

Last edited:
Associate
Well for what its worth guys, I have been running for a solid two weeks now with EXPO on using Bios 1409 on the Asus TUF X670E and I have been pushing this through its paces for most of that time.

Offset SOC voltage set in the bios and never skipped a beat or had any instability in Windows 11.

VDDCR_SOC runs at 1.17 and never moves during intense gaming or benchmarks. Maybe .01
CPU SOC at 1.2

Asus TUF Gaming X670E-Plus with some relative cheap Kingston FURY Beast EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5
PC5-48000C36 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit (KF560C36BBEK2-32)

Highest CPU temp I have seen is 76 using a Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler

And the funny thing is, I am even enjoying playing Redfall and nearly completed Hogwarts so I must be mad :D

Same MB as mine i am running 1413 bios, and just changed my SOC voltage to 1.25 as it was sat at 1.35. AM5 Certainly is keeping us all on our toes ha

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that info, i have not done that and just checked HW Monitor and its gone from 1.35 to the 1.25 any way. But i will certainly go into that and do it any way
I dont normally mess with that menu myself, but Buildzoid did a recent video where he was testing the SOC voltage in different menus with a multimeter attached, granted it was on a Gigabyte board, but as it was with the new AGESA, im going to guess its the same with all of them at the moment, and the only way he could get it to stick was setting it in both menu's, others like me think one setting should override the other, but for some reason, thats not working properly either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've no clue if this is Soc voltage related but since setting it to 1.2v on my new build ive encountered 3 bsod (memory management error) in a week.
So ive increased my RAM voltage to 1.35v and Soc to 1.25v and we'll see how we get on.

Windows memory diagnostic is reporting no errors.

Soldato
OP
I've no clue if this is Soc voltage related but since setting it to 1.2v on my new build ive encountered 3 bsod (memory management error) in a week.
So ive increased my RAM voltage to 1.35v and Soc to 1.25v and we'll see how we get on.

Windows memory diagnostic is reporting no errors.
Are you using memory content restore - enabled in your bios ? if you are you also have to set power down enabled to enabled, if I disable both, I get a mega slow post, if I enable MCR but disable Power down then I get BSOD's, crashes etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Have been slowly buying AM5 bits over the last few months and was finally ready to buy the 7800x3d...obviously held off with what has come to light but after finally getting everything but the CPU what do i do now? Send it all back? I really dont want to.

Take the plunge with the x3d? Or get a 7600 and see what happens.

Havent upgraded for almost 12 years and was so excited :cry:

Associate
Have been slowly buying AM5 bits over the last few months and was finally ready to buy the 7800x3d...obviously held off with what has come to light but after finally getting everything but the CPU what do i do now? Send it all back? I really dont want to.

Take the plunge with the x3d? Or get a 7600 and see what happens.

Havent upgraded for almost 12 years and was so excited :cry:
I feel your pain. Along with wondering which CPU is safe there is minefield of mobo manufactures. I'm building mini itx build which doesn't have much choice. Was gonna go with Asus board but now with how they have delt with this mess it really puts me off them.

Back
Top Bottom