• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Yes i have heard this, many are saying its ASUS boards causing it. I have notiched on the website for my board that a lot of the bios versions have been taken down. I wonder if its just for the X3D chips also.

Soldato
OP
Yes i have heard this, many are saying its ASUS boards causing it. I have notiched on the website for my board that a lot of the bios versions have been taken down. I wonder if its just for the X3D chips also.

Yes, agreed, they have a new bios for my board available this morning, 1202, all the older bioses have gone too except 1 beta bios, ive got the X670E Gene, seems to help with the code 15 hang a bit from a cold boot, a warm boot it still hangs a bit, but I wonder if it has more to do with cooking chips, the agesa version hasnt changed and the bios notes dont really say anything, its says a TPM 2.0 update, the the TPM version hasnt changed in the bios and also says optimise performance for 7000X7D chips, Im guessing the mean 7000X3D chips lol.

069PO7H.jpg

Soldato
OP
Why are these things alway with the CPU I've ordered on the motherboard I've ordered...

Couldn't have been a non-X3D chip on an MSI board could it?

I think ASUS have probably fixed it with the latest bios update and the reason they pulled all the others to prevent you from back flashing to any of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wouldn't be the first time Asus boards have shoved too much voltage into CPUs and cooked them. The Rampage V Extreme had a lovely BIOS bug where it'd just crank your CPU voltage up to over 2V for no reason and kill it. Don't think it was ever fixed either. They just brought out the Edition 10 version and swept the original under the rug.

Soldato
If there's 3-4 examples of this on reddit, then there must be a lot more instances of this occurring "offline". Hope a bios fix fixes this! Also looking forward to the obligatory Gamers Nexus video.

Associate
This isn't just Asus motherboards, the majority seem to be Asus but there have been reports of X3D chip failures (burning up) on Asrock & Gigabyte.
There are several (long) reddit threads with people reporting 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D and some non X3d 7 series failures - some burning out the socket and bulging marks on the back side of the CPU.

Reddit threads:

Other:

https://imgur.com/a/1oNS9DC (Asrock 7700X burnt cpu/socket failure, short video and images)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgqlCoL5Qc (Russian YT video, use english translated subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VbutE-Qss (der8auer 7900X died, burnt out itself to the point of de-soldering its HS)

There is something seriously wrong here.....GN are investigating and have been paying people for some damaged mobo's and CPU's.

One theory is it's the bending of the CPU with the LGA socket, causing poor contact and overheating from electrical resistance. A couple of people had issues with random reboots and instability until they installed the thermalright AM5 fixing frame, one guy had to back off the tension from his AIO cooler before it was even remotely stable.
Others are suspecting ASUS mobo's are overvolting too much, even at stock settings.

I'm suspecting it is more a systemic issue affecting all motherboards but may be worse on some, it really could just be the LGA socket - after all this is AMD's first venture into LGA with the Ryzen series.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I went for the 7900 non X, the performance difference between the X version and non X version wasnt much, unless you spend your life and spare time running benchmarks, and the fact its only 65watts compared to the 170watt counter part, well lets just say I pulled away from Intel because they were toasters in disguise, I have my chip set to throttle at 80oC, however it is under water and never seen it go over 75oC in anything I throw at it.

Im thinking about hard setting the CPU voltage, but at the same time I dont want to stop it boosting, it spends most of its time sitting at 5.3ghz, when im not doing anything with it then it sits around 3.5ghz and seen it more than a few times boost to 5.55ghz.

Last edited:
Soldato
This isn't just Asus motherboards
Every single one of those Reddit links and the Russian Youtube video are all about Asus boards paired with X3D CPUs. I'm sure some AM5 CPUs have died for other reasons in the past six months (I'd already seen the derBauer video, which isn't even remotely similar in terms of mode of failure), because that's just what happens with any electronics. There'll always be manufacturing defects. The single example of it happening with any other motherboard vendor/CPU combo that seems remotely related is the 7700X link, but the point of failure is in a different location. Scorch marks aren't uncommon with LGA chips when something goes wrong power delivery-wise. It seems unlikely to me that it has any relevance to this, given how long the original batch of Ryzen 5000 chips have been on the market. We'd have heard about this before now if it was something widespread affecting those too. Which also makes speculation/scaremongering about things like the socket itself having a design fault or something rather wild and unhelpful at this point IMO. Just like people were accusing drivers of blowing up RDNA 2 cards a few months ago, which turned out to be absolute bunkum.

The main helpful evidence at this point seems to be that the vast majority of reports are regarding Asus boards and X3D chips, and that Asus themselves have apparently hastily removed BIOS updates from their site in response. Seems an odd move on their part if they were confident it's not their fault. Maybe it'll turn out it's not, but widespread panic at this stage seems completely unfounded.

Associate
Every single one of those Reddit links and the Russian Youtube video are all about Asus boards paired with X3D CPUs. I'm sure some AM5 CPUs have died for other reasons in the past six months (I'd already seen the derBauer video, which isn't even remotely similar in terms of mode of failure), because that's just what happens with any electronics. There'll always be manufacturing defects. The single example of it happening with any other motherboard vendor/CPU combo that seems remotely related is the 7700X link, but the point of failure is in a different location. Scorch marks aren't uncommon with LGA chips when something goes wrong power delivery-wise. It seems unlikely to me that it has any relevance to this, given how long the original batch of Ryzen 5000 chips have been on the market. We'd have heard about this before now if it was something widespread affecting those too. Which also makes speculation/scaremongering about things like the socket itself having a design fault or something rather wild and unhelpful at this point IMO. Just like people were accusing drivers of blowing up RDNA 2 cards a few months ago, which turned out to be absolute bunkum.

The main helpful evidence at this point seems to be that the vast majority of reports are regarding Asus boards and X3D chips, and that Asus themselves have apparently hastily removed BIOS updates from their site in response. Seems an odd move on their part if they were confident it's not their fault. Maybe it'll turn out it's not, but widespread panic at this stage seems completely unfounded.

If you read through all the reddit posts there's a couple of people that have an asrock and gigabyte board.
It's those which show a bulge in the CPU on the contact side and burnt pins on the LGA socket that I'm more concerned with.
They all have the same type of failure, usually in the same spot on the CPU (or close to).....this has occured on Asus, Asrock & Gigabyte boards - it's more frequent on Asus boards, but that could be just because they are the most popular board, or it could be something about them that exacerbates the problem.

Either way it is not just isolated to Asus boards, but yes no need for widespread panic at this stage. I'm hoping it is something as simple as LGA socket mounting causing contact problems, which maybe more of a problem with the specific make of LGA socket/bracket used on Asus boards that's exacerbating the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom