• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
OP
Steve: "In the end we came to the conclusion that the AM5 platform is a complete mess"

beta testing is not done, AM5 bios even the newest ones released in the last few days are filled with bugs
Yes I agree, makes me wonder why there is an ASUS bios floating around out there thats not on the boards website but labelled 1410, however there is also a beta bios on the boards website labelled 1401 ???

Sounds like they are fixing a bios thats still in beta but put the beta out anyway, yeah right.......that sounds safe to flash......NOT.

I think the video and findings from GN will spark a lot more bios updates, especially from ASUS

Last edited:
Associate
Steve: "In the end we came to the conclusion that the AM5 platform is a complete mess"

beta testing is not done, AM5 bios even the newest ones released in the last few days are filled with bugs
By the time my future Zen 5 non-X CPU comes out I think they should be out of beta. This is why I don't upgrade to a new socket right away.

Steve did remind us that this is hard to replicate. I assume what he was getting at was he was given this CPU that had the same look as the pads on der8auer's CPU (discoloured CPU pads)?

der8auer in his video tried to replicate it and couldn't kill it. Albeit not for long as Steve was already on the case and didn't really see the point.

If you have a 'problem CPU' but using a newer BIOS then the problem is solved? The usual warnings about warranty void if you overclock/overvolt your CPU is as valid as ever.

Last edited:
Soldato
By the time my future Zen 5 non-X CPU comes out I think they should be out of beta. This is why I don't upgrade to a new socket right away.

Steve did remind us that this is hard to replicate. I assume what he was getting at was he was given this CPU that had the same look as the pads on der8auer's CPU (discoloured CPU pads)?

der8auer in his video tried to replicate it and couldn't kill it. Albeit not for long as Steve was already on the case and didn't really see the point.

If you have a 'problem CPU' but using a newer BIOS then the problem is solved? The usual warnings about warranty void if you overclock/overvolt your CPU is as valid as ever.
Still working through the GN video. It’s a bit odd that these issues only appeared when the 7800X3D came out. I know it has happened on some other non-3D CPUs but so far it is been nearly entirely 7800X3D impacted.

Soldato
What a mess, and impressively so. Ironically said it was a mess earlier on and people were very quick to defend AMD - how do you feel about it now? xD

The fact that ASUS have rushed out so many BIOS versions too is making me pause on upgrading my own purely because I have to question how tested and reliable these updates are, especially given the lack of testing originally. At least it does for the most part still look to come down to SoC voltage, so with mine set manually at 1.2v I can't see any reason to upgrade for now, until the current/next BIOS have matured and been actually tested somewhat.

Last edited:
Associate
ASUS BIOS page:

SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TGB650P.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.
Please note that this is a beta BIOS version of the motherboard which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. The UEFI, its firmware and all content found on it are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. ASUS does not give any warranties, whether express or limited, as to the suitability, compatibility, or usability of the UEFI, its firmware or any of its content. Except as provided in the Product warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by law, ASUS is not responsible for direct, special, incidental or consequential damages resulting from using this beta BIOS.

Clarification needed :) AMD and all motherboard vendors are recommending to upgrade to the latest BIOS. Latest BIOS is beta and isn't covered under warranty? So I guess that's zero motivation for me to upgrade the BIOS then (if I owned AM5), I'd rather install a not-beta BIOS and have all the warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
What a mess, and impressively so. Ironically said it was a mess earlier on and people were very quick to defend AMD - how do you feel about it now? xD

The fact that ASUS have rushed out so many BIOS versions too is making me pause on upgrading my own purely because I have to question how tested and reliable these updates are, especially given the lack of testing originally. At least it does for the most part still look to come down to SoC voltage, so with mine set manually at 1.2v I can't see any reason to upgrade for now, until the current/next BIOS have matured and been actually tested somewhat.
Just hope that it is actually 1.2v. Steve showed that other Gigabyte one which was set in the bios but was 1.4v with the voltage meter attached.

Permabanned
Interesting video.

I think it's really the longevity of the CPUs that concerns me. These handful of owners of chips that have gone belly-up, out of millions, have been really, really unlucky I think. Especially that one where EXPO wasn't even running. Very surprised by that, was really starting to think this was exclusive to X670 chipsets.

So I put the latest BIOS for the Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite (F5B) a few days ago, EXPO back on. SOC is 1.245v in HWinfo64. Tested loads of old saves that became unplayable on my old PC. Rock solid and performance is as expected. Had a couple of crashes in Win11 early on but just teething problems I think.

It's a really weird chip. Idle temps are 45º, but it'll spike to 75º - 80º for no reason. Sometimes it comes back down, sometimes not. Had to shut down to normalise temperatures last night after exiting X4 Foundations. It's as if it still thinks the game was running. But this morning, done nothing but watch that video and write this, temps are sub 50º throughout.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m so ****** off with this I would return this crap if I was still within 14 days return policy.
I don’t want to run soc at 1.3v as GM showed that actuall voltage can be higher by about 0.05v and who knows if not more.
Right now I’m running with manual soc voltage.
Started at 1.23v and had a reboot after few hours of use (it rebooted when idling)
then increased it to 1.24v and again had a reboot after a while.
I’m now at 1.25v.
Should have gone Intel after all. :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom