• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
To be fair they have a lot of industry contacts. A bit more professional than "a random guy".

Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. But lots of these YouTube chaps are hardly authorities when it come to the nuts and bolts of microelectronics.

Last edited:
Associate
I can’t believe all manufacturers have non functional OCP. Sorry chap but I’m not buying it.

I’ve made an attempt to watch the video, but it’s just a random guy that reviews stuff on video at the end of the day.

GamersNexus have been pretty consistent in the past and normally are on the ball when it comes to these kinds of issues so I'd be inclined to trust their analysis

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. But lots of these YouTube chaps are hardly authorities when it’s come to the nuts and bolts of microelectronics.
Agreed some are enthusiastic but clueless. I like GN as they don't pretend they know if they don't, and will get in experts or outsource to professionals. They really are trying to provide the transparency we need in the industry. They, the industry, like to rely on their business being complex and the customer having no clue if they are being BS'd or not.

Soldato
Thats up to you, but its true, just requires a bit of Googling.

Heres one of the ASRock ones, theres another ASRock one floating around which is a video of the chip swollen up, (cant find the link right now, its in this thread somewhere), https://twitter.com/hms1193/status/1650879743947079680?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1650879743947079680|twgr^092e6c481927e11ff2967777267d2251e4f865a5|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-cpu-burns-up.18971154/page-7

This was a 7700X, the only way they swell up like that and burn the pins in the socket is when they are still being fed high current and overheating after already being killed, failure of the OCP.

Der8auer 7900X too did the same thing, and shows the other ASRock chip damaged at 1min 10 seconds in his video, also shows the MSI boards damaging chips: https://youtu.be/arDqhxM8Wog

Thats why all board manufacturers are releasing fixes via bios updates.

That’s a twitter post.

Who is Der8auer sponsored by now?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, one is a post on twitter. The other is a video from a salesman with a sponsorship, who may or may not have a vested interest in a particular brand.
Yup, one post is on twitter from a everyday joe, like every CPU that has died whether it be in an ASUS board, Gigabyte Board, MSI Board or ASRock board, so again, what difference does it make.

Why would you think ASUS are to blame if you cant believe all the other boards are to blame too, maybe non of the boards are to blame and its AMD's fault, they provide the AGESA updates after all to board partners.

Associate
I can’t believe all manufacturers have non functional OCP. Sorry chap but I’m not buying it.

I’ve made an attempt to watch the video, but it’s just a random guy that reviews stuff on video at the end of the day.
I thought the OCP accusation was only at Asus? I thought they said the OCP seemed to work on gigabyte hence why only the CPU died in that case.

The complaint at the other motherboards related to the shut off temperature being too high for the X3D chips.

I definitely think they all seemed to be flying too close to the sun with setting 1.35v and it's clear it can happen on any. However there's something to be said about Asus's shown value being so far off what it was supplying, and the fact it didn't trigger the OCP to shut itself off. It puts me off their boards a bit, not going to lie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. But lots of these YouTube chaps are hardly authorities when it come to the nuts and bolts of microelectronics.
That is certainly true, YouTube is full of small time creators giving really poor advice. They're ill equiped to handle a story like this. GN stand apart from the crowd though, they've been great advocates for consumers of PC gaming hardware.

Soldato
Agreed some are enthusiastic but clueless. I like GN as they don't pretend they know if they don't, and will get in experts or outsource to professionals. They really are trying to provide the transparency we need in the industry. They, the industry, like to rely on their business being complex and the customer having no clue if they are being BS'd or not.

Just watched the video in full (painful) and the conclusion seems to be they don’t fully understand the issue and reached out to engineers, totally understandable, but of course will require follow up videos… although some of us come to the same point as Steve and his team days earlier (pages 9-12) with zero hardware fatalities, but that wouldn’t make for great YouTube content.

So what I learned from Steve and the team is, the Asus bios voltage section seems to also function as random number generator and can’t be set accurately without getting a multimeter out and probing the board, nice job Asus.

0.9v please, drumroll… yeah-nah 1.49v set.

Last edited:
Soldato
Steve: "In the end we came to the conclusion that the AM5 platform is a complete mess"

beta testing is not done, AM5 bios even the newest ones released in the last few days are filled with bugs
Just saw the video, glad i wasnt an early adopter of am5, its been a train wreck from the start.
Now light has been shed on this hopefully amd can get their act together and people haven't lost too much hope in them. A proper permanent fix is what people are still awaiting.

Those who havent had issues yet, im wondering if the life span of the cpus has been hit hard and will end up with issues 5-6 years down the line

Associate
Hopefully the end result of all of this is that reviewers and possibly even motherboard manufacturers will concentrate on things that count, such as board quality, accurate voltages set in the bios etc, instead of the current "gamer" more RGB, more volts = more fps nonsense.

A shame there are no viable no nonsense boards available from any manufacturer, high spec, high quality components, with a nice green no bs pcb. Ohh and proper documentation would be nice. I haven't seen a manual for a bios that actually explains what each setting actually does for years. Nor any real change log for when a new bios is issued.

There is no excuse that a board provides different voltages to what is actually set in in the bios. Currently a lot of the boards supply way over spec voltages to multiple components to either enhance performance or compatibility/stability with ram etc. Even my Asus z690 Intel board with a 13900k using bios defaults massively overvolts the system causing extreme heat & power consumption making it unusable. (not to the extent here - however I have not tried) . The first thing I did was undervolt it. Whilst it's obvious a lot of us here do like a bit over overclocking etc. Having it at default raise things beyond spec to edge out over the competition is a issue here. The push for a couple of fps to try and and validate the cost of a £700+ motherboard is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom