• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Ok I checked the SOC voltage and its at 1.296V with the latest 1410 bios, now does this mean I cant use EXPO? Sorry but as with the price I apid for this board, Im panicing a bit here.

Soldato
Just not the beta bios as it may not have any warranty if you do that lol.
Lol well that is the one that limits the SOC voltage. AS GN says you can't offer a fix, and then say you can't use it as it voids your warranty, to then leave you with a non-beta BIOS that kills your hardware :cry:

Soldato
When I was looking at B650 motherboards Gigabyte seemed competitive on price, but they have a lot of reports of coil whine on the VRM which would put me off them.
Something's changed then as they have the most expensive B650E listed on overclockers and the most expensive B650 too, by a margin in both cases. Their X670E boards start at just £500...

TL:DR , this is all literally Asus doing this with shoddy boards and shoddy customer service
Even the Gigabyte and ASRock issues?

I do think i should try to get this board swapped ( not purhcased at OC ). But looking at other x670e boards they cost way more.
Yeah, I'm having the exact same issue. I've got a Asus Strix X670E-F and can't find anything comparable in that sort of price range.

Soldato
Ok I checked the SOC voltage and its at 1.296V with the latest 1410 bios, now does this mean I cant use EXPO? Sorry but as with the price I apid for this board, Im panicing a bit here.
I notice on the bios for one of the MSI board, don't remember which Carbon I think (not sure if B650 or X670) I think it says that the new 1.3v limit might cause some compatibility issues with some memory kits.
And MSI apparently don't have any issues with high SoC voltages but the 1.3v limit has apparently still impacted them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Something's changed then as they have the most expensive B650E listed on overclockers and the most expensive B650 too, by a margin in both cases. Their X670E boards start at just £500...

Even the Gigabyte and ASRock issues?

Yeah, I'm having the exact same issue. I've got a Asus Strix X670E-F and can't find anything comparable in that sort of price range.
Ive been using an ASUS X670e Gene for months, and I love it, never had a problem with it, its the only X670E board that I liked that came fully loaded with PCI-e 5 and USB 4.

Man of Honour
The BIOS has put a 1.30 maximum in place, you are fine.

No reason why you cant enable EXPO, mines enabled and SOC 1.24 ( Auto set that ).

It will vary slightly depending on memory,board, chip.

Associate
I notice on the bios for one of the MSI board, don't remember which Carbon I think (not sure if B650 or X670) I think it says that the new 1.3v limit might cause some compatibility issues with some memory kits.
And MSI apparently don't have any issues with high SoC voltages but the 1.3v limit has apparently still impacted them.
For what it's worth I think they're just covering their arse just in case. I don't think Ram will be too affected on any board by the limit unless you're wanting to really push it to the limit. Ryzen is pretty bad any way at pushing Ram to it's limits regardless of SoC though.

I've got my 2x16gb 6000c30 kit at 1.15v SoC and I've seen people go even lower. Going beyond those speeds was always a bit tricky, and sometimes even reduced performance anyway.

Associate

No reason why you cant enable EXPO, mines enabled and SOC 1.24 ( Auto set that ).

Ok thanks for that answer, I think Asus will bring a final bios to sort this out and hopefully soon.

Soldato

According to the video even with the limit in place the Asus board tested was still using 1.33v when set to 1.29v in the BIOS.
If you can get it stable with a SoC of 1.25 or below it's probably fine though... maybe...

Man of Honour
Tsmc will have it, amd im not so sure

Amd can fuse CPU's in their labs... TSMC aren't going to test, bin, decide what silicon goes where etc etc etc. Although they do part of the packaging etc. Id eat my hat if they dont have some crazy equipment in their labs. We aren't talking a small company here we are talking one of the biggest chip manufacturers in the world and you can bet your house they will have every bit of kit required to do all kinds of crazy things.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD do test these things, its R&D, if you use AMD's own overclocking menu in the BIOS it will set the correct voltages.

Its only when you use the Asus fancy-shmancy ROG overclocking menu what you presumably pay the Asus tax for that you get the wrong voltages.

Even Steve Bruke said AMD cannot police every BIOS iteration from every board vendor, not even Intel can do that, nor should we be expecting AMD to be Asus's Q&A, its ridiculous to think that AMD should quality check everything Asus do.

AMD would quite rightly expect that after publishing the results from their own testing and laying down some ground rules that motherboard vendors would follow them, and not be stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom