• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Amd can fuse CPU's in their labs... TSMC aren't going to test, bin, decide what silicon goes where etc etc etc. Although they do part of the packaging etc. Id eat my hat if they dont have some crazy equipment in their labs. We aren't talking a small company here we are talking one of the biggest chip manufacturers in the world and you can bet your house they will have every bit of kit required to do all kinds of crazy things.

My thoughts exactly. Looking at the distance AMD are ahead of the competition and it’s release cadence, points to a firm operating at the bleeding edge of science. Nvidia and Intel better hope that’s the case at least.

Last edited:
And they do..... AMD said for the X3D chips specifically that they are more sensitive to high voltage, they know this through R&D, they made this information public. there is no excuse for these board vendors for being stupid.

It is irresponsible and reckless, i think one of the problems is these people like to hire Youtube or HWBot personalities who think they know better than AMD themselves. They don't, AMD are thie ##### experts.

Last edited:
Amd can fuse CPU's in their labs... TSMC aren't going to test, bin, decide what silicon goes where etc etc etc. Although they do part of the packaging etc. Id eat my hat if they dont have some crazy equipment in their labs. We aren't talking a small company here we are talking one of the biggest chip manufacturers in the world and you can bet your house they will have every bit of kit required to do all kinds of crazy things.
Amd's lab is probably one guy with a raspberry pi and some gaffer tape and soldering iron doing some testing and sometimes blagging he done tests without doing them and then we end up in this blowing up cpu situation.
If amd actually did testing in a lab then these cpus would be blowing up in the lab and not in peoples homes.
You have to remember that with zen1 the compiler bug was never spoken of by amd, they just swapped cpus and hoped no one would notice. If they had an idea of what was going on they should have come clean and explained in detail the cause of the issue and the steps they took to resolve it. Shame gamers nexus didnt do an in-depth dive into that issue too.

I have strangely enjoyed scanning this thread. Lot of relevant points and there are major problems with the AM5 platform and not being able to set voltages with a high degree of accuracy and motherboards changing them to whatever they darn well pls.

The main take away I am getting from this fiasco is that Asus have played fast and loose with voltages for ... well forever ..and it has finally come back to bite them in the backside. Pumping 1.4v through the Vsoc when 1.25 was the recommended max is not just lazy or a mistake , it is in my opinion legally negligent. Other mobo manufacturers also have issues but none of them went over the 1.25v limit and it seems Asus tries to ignore the laws of physics.
What people should not forget is that if these cpus had not catastrophically failed, that highlighted this issue, then we would instead be seeing a massively higher than expected number of dead cpus after 12-18months of use.

Lets hope that in the future Asus spend more on engineering and software than they do on marketing and lawyers but I doubt anything will change.

How much does the lower soc voltage affect ram clocks? Amd suffers from slower ram than intel, with the lower soc does ram not clock high enough to take the crown from intel in most benchmarks? And now lowering the soc voltage is kind of a bait and switch tactic where reviews with high ram speed were showing zen4 to be good.
Lot more needs to be addressed still, even gamers nexus said soc voltage alone is not the cause.

Never understood the appeal of Asus motherboards. They are often rife with problems, and the reason I have always given them a wide birth. I'm on my third Gigabyte board and the only problem I've ever had was the primary GPU port failing on my last one. And that took 12 years. Swapped it to secondary, still going. They made a real hash of these BIOS updates, though. Just like Asus, chopping and changing willy-nilly with next to no explanation.

Also, the Asus PG42UQ firmware updates are just as shoddy. No updates since November. Even bricked some monitors with V031. The product itself has numerous complaints, some washed-out colors mostly (Zero of which were highlighted in any review whatsoever). Seems you can get it as advertised, generally speaking, (and it is really good) if you upgrade to Win 11, tweak the settings, get HDR calibration, etc. Another very expensive 'premium' product from Asus. I'll say again, thus far minus the odd random flickering, it's an amazing monitor, but for this kind of money, it should not be plagued with so many issues and the end user should not have to jump through hoops in an attempt to remedy them, as they are doing now.

Anyway...Haven't seen any mention of these chips that went bust happening outside the X670 boards? Other than that weird Gigabyte B650M one where the chip killed itself without EXPO.

And That L1 Tech guy was right. As one of the '10 people' that play Stellaris, these chips are too fast. All DLC, huge galaxy, everywhere is decked out yada yada, and I'm still playing at normal speed. Fast-tick rates, really, really, matter. So it's kinda bizarre marketing from AMD to just blurt out FPS benchmarks, exclusively, and not demonstrate the exemplary performance these X3D chips have over Intel in these crazy number-crunching games. The way I see it, this is where their chips shine, and a 3% gain over Intel in some FPS that's already running at 300 frames or whatever is never going to sell it for me. PDXs performance mega thread did.

Had I not had time to do some research (and not everyone does or perhaps thinks too), I'd have a 13900k build right now, not a 7800X3D. And generally, superb performance thus far on frustratingly what little I have tested. Except for Civ 4 which is a bit hamstrung being 32-bit, but still more than playable. Hoping it'll give my i5 2500k a good run for its money longevity-wise, but all this 'killing me slowly' crap is unnerving when I had an Athlon that started to break down years ago.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same board, but with a 7700. Did you get C30 RAM, and did it hit that rating fine ?
I got the cl32 6000mhz gskill trident ram and used buildzoids timings manually set.
I couldnt get 6000mhz stable but set for 5800mhz as I could prolly tweak it but dont want to run ram on high voltage.
5800mhz was easy and stable with low voltage so, figured its good enough

AMD do test these things, its R&D, if you use AMD's own overclocking menu in the BIOS it will set the correct voltages.

Its only when you use the Asus fancy-shmancy ROG overclocking menu what you presumably pay the Asus tax for that you get the wrong voltages.

Even Steve Bruke said AMD cannot police every BIOS iteration from every board vendor, not even Intel can do that, nor should we be expecting AMD to be Asus's Q&A, its ridiculous to think that AMD should quality check everything Asus do.

AMD would quite rightly expect that after publishing the results from their own testing and laying down some ground rules that motherboard vendors would follow them, and not be stupid.
GamersNexus also said that if you use AMD's overclocking menu it sets a different voltage too low.

Just been reading about this for the first time. I’ve switched off from the YouTubers, they grate on me.

But this sounds like an epic launch.

Dear lord i just watched the gamers nexus video just now, he roasted asus hard :cry:

According to Asus, no one should a ryzen 7000 CPU, you should instead buy a Intel 12th Gen or 13th Gen

AMD will be real happy with Asus, good job Asus

Last edited:
I've decided I'm returning my parts. I didn't pay £400 for a motherboard only to be told not to use EXPO (which they've sorta been making a big thing about) or change any setting off default.
I've been considering the MSI X670E Tomahawk and Carbon but I just don't like the m.2 positioning. Also I'm not that confident that MSI will be much better, I'm not sure if any of them will be.

Like others I was hoping that we might see 2 or 3 CPU generations on AM5, but with the boards like this I don't want to keep a board that long if it's in this state.

According to Asus, no one should a ryzen 7000 CPU, you should instead buy a Intel 12th Gen or 13th Gen

AMD will be real happy with Asus, good job Asus

Most likely Asus have an inventory of Intel boards to shift from the lack of demand.

I've decided I'm returning my parts. I didn't pay £400 for a motherboard only to be told not to use EXPO (which they've sorta been making a big thing about) or change any setting off default.
I've been considering the MSI X670E Tomahawk and Carbon but I just don't like the m.2 positioning. Also I'm not that confident that MSI will be much better, I'm not sure if any of them will be.

Like others I was hoping that we might see 2 or 3 CPU generations on AM5, but with the boards like this I don't want to keep a board that long if it's in this state.

So its literally an Asus issue - but you blame everyone else.

I think you were looking for an excuse to return your purchases.

The main take away I am getting from this fiasco is that Asus have played fast and loose with voltages for ... well forever ..and it has finally come back to bite them in the backside. Pumping 1.4v through the Vsoc when 1.25 was the recommended max is not just lazy or a mistake , it is in my opinion legally negligent.
It's something done intentionally because it allows them to advertise higher memory speeds and potentially top the benchmark charts in reviews, which leads to more sales. It's been going on for years and they've finally had it (literally) blow up in their face.

It's an Asus board I'm looking to send back...
No point having all the other bits without a motherboard, how's that ever going to work?

What I said was that we don't know if the others are any better, there's not been as much testing done (that we know of). Also if it's an Asus issue why have MSI (and I'd guess ASRock and Gigabyte) been releasing BETA BIOSes? What are they fixing?

Not necessarily, This will have a knock-on effect on AMD, purely by association and the idea that everything is all good on the Intel side with Asus.

personally i wouldn't buy an Asus motherboard until they take responsibility for it. We would not have known about this if it wasn't for the X3D chips popping, the same damage will have been caused to the None X3D chips much more slowly and i'm pretty sure they will be doing the same thing on the Intel platform and always will because clearly they don't think they are at fault here.
That MCE which locks the all core boost to the single core boost on Intel CPU's, that nonsense is enabled by default which means if you don't have one of the most expensive coolers on it its throttling constantly at over 100c TJmax, they no doubt would think that is user error.

"Scumbag Asus" i think Steve summed them up perfectly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom