• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 7 aka ZEN NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!

Associate
I'm going to hold off for a few reasons.

1. I don't know how well they overclock.
2. AMD Benchmarks aren't worth jack - unbiased youtubers/websites need to review them.
3. Intel will have a counter price wise.
4. Not many games use 8c 16t ? - correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm really REALLY happy that AMD appear to be back in the game though.

Soldato
Verrry tempting to get an 1700X. Though I will probably wait until reviews are out and then kick myself for all the AM4 motherboards being out of stock and the prices gone up. :)

EDIT: Ah, no ASRock boards yet. That settles it - will wait. I believe one of the ASRocks has dual M.2 sockets which for me is irresistable. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Considering the leaks on prices and videos I've seen on Ryzen, I was expecting cheaper prices. And I was even thinking about whether it could even be worth Ryzen over my 4790k... Looks like we're paying UK tax on AMD CPUs now too. Gone are the days when we could get an i7-level CPU for well under £300. There's nothing in that magic £200-300 price bracket that most would be willing to spend. The only exception here is the 1800X, which is as good as a £1k CPU in terms of performance. It's halfing the cost, but still pricey. The AM4 Mobos have also adopted the higher prices recently set by Intel. There too, gone are the days where one could have a banging mobo for around £100 if not a bit more.

£400+ to change CPU... not worth it for me I'm afraid. this 4790k has got plenty of life in it yet.

Soldato
Took the opportunity to upgrade my 4790k with a Ryzen 1700. Just came into some money recently, so I figured why not :)
That's where I am at the moment; 4790k. Additional cost of DDR4 is a PITA.

Probably a side-grade for most games, due to the lower clock speed, but the extra cores will sure be handy for encoding. Plus.. new and shiny.

Back
Top Bottom