• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

300+ test done regards workstation loads for those interested ***

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=300-3960x-10980xe&num=1

Intel people don't read it

tenor.gif

OcUK Staff
Got these arriving next week too: :)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit (Black) @ £299.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/83729

CMK64GX4M2D3600C18, 3600MHz RAM Speed, CAS 18-22-22-38 Timings, 1.35v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with OcUK.

Only £299.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

I have Corsair working on QUAD kits for us of the above, so 128G 3200MHz and 3600MHz kits should not be far away either for those who don't want to just buy a pair of duals, which by the way is absolutely fine. :)

Man of Honour
I've gone for the ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING motherboard. I built a Ryzen board for a mate with an ASUS board and I was impressed with the BIOS, I found it nicer to use than my own Gibabyte.

Spec so far:
3960x
256GB Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING
Phanteks block.

To go with my 2080 Ti. Should game well enough for me but most importantly I get my office back. Currently I have 3 Supermicro servers in there and they're a bit noisy. They'll be sold and I'll migrate the VMs onto nested ESXi within VMware workstation on this new PC. Then I can move the PC upstairs from the living room, the dining table into the living room where my desk is and I'll get a breakfast bar for the kitchen.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I've gone for the ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING motherboard. I built a Ryzen board for a mate with an ASUS board and I was impressed with the BIOS, I found it nicer to use than my own Gibabyte.

Spec so far:
3960x
256GB Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING
Phanteks block.

To go with my 2080 Ti. Should game well enough for me but most importantly I get my office back. Currently I have 3 Supermicro servers in there and they're a bit noisy. They'll be sold and I'll migrate the VMs onto nested ESXi within VMware workstation on this new PC. Then I can move the PC upstairs from the living room, the dining table into the living room where my desk is and I'll get a breakfast bar for the kitchen.

Sounds good!

Just out of curiosity, what do you need a threadripper chip for specifically? Is it mainly just for VMware

Man of Honour
Sounds good!

Just out of curiosity, what do you need a threadripper chip for specifically? Is it mainly just for VMware
I didn't really, a 3900X or 3950X would have been enough, however the most RAM they support is 128GB. My lab is currently using ~120GB on accross three servers and I plan on expanding it soon. So 128GB would have been a headache to manage. Plus, with the TR, I can really extend the lab out and introduce vRA, vRO, NSX-T and what not. It'll get used that's for sure.

I'll also save on my electricity bill, as my servers are on 24/7 whereas a nested lab in Workstation I can just pause all the VMs when I don't need the lab.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I didn't really, a 3900X or 3950X would have been enough, however the most RAM they support is 128GB. My lab is currently using ~120GB on accross three servers and I plan on expanding it soon. So 128GB would have been a headache to manage. Plus, with the TR, I can really extend the lab out and introduce vRA, vRO, NSX-T and what not. It'll get used that's for sure.

I'll also save on my electricity bill, as my servers are on 24/7 whereas a nested lab in Workstation I can just pause all the VMs when I don't need the lab.

Thanks for the explanation! Im just trying to find out some more use cases for threadripper as im thinking of possibly getting one, so just want to see what people use them for, the extra ram certainly is a good advantage though

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yep we are very happy, over 100 of the 3970X in stock and just shy of 100 on the 3960X, so happy Christmas it is for us, already sold 10 of each today, people want these CPU's.

Also had 22pc on the 3950X land which was great news too. :)
Well you have my 3960x and strix order :)

Soldato
Well just to confirm that the new ASRock Taichi is balls, don't bother with it. Just finished wring a pretty strongly worded e-mail to our FAE about all the issues we have had, I've no idea how we are supposed to develop a 'stable' platform on a board that has so many issues. I am actually in disbelief, I really hope that is its just this single sample that is faulty, but given the alarming amount of issues we have had with the boards BIOS as well I think it will take them a good while to sort it out.

I am just glad this isn't an urgent dev and test build, otherwise I'd be walking way right now, super frustrated with it.

You guys who have ordered are going to love how powerful these CPU's are though, the 3960X really is a shining star (not just 'cause it's hot :p ).

Soldato
Couple of questions before I buy please chaps:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,864.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

I was liking the look of the Asrock Creator (10Gb Aquantia) until I saw the whiny fans on the VRM. I currently have a Fractal 240mm AIO but the plate won't cover TR fully, and the Noctua air cooler has excellent reviews for a reasonable price. I 'only' have 4x 8GB of the 8Pack RAM atm as I bought with my 8700k when prices were insane (you can buy 64GB for the same price now). I'll be adding another 4x sticks to match and fill out the board but for now 32GB will be fine.

The only thing I was hesitant about is my Cougar GX V3 600W PSU. It's still running perfectly and is well regarded (decent build quality), so should easily be enough for 3960x + Vega 64 and 1x PCIe4 NVMe right?

Back
Top Bottom