• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

I’d be after a higher power PSU if I were you.

As I feared. The extra £200 isn't the issue, so much as if I'm buying a board, CPU and PSU I'm basically only a case away from a whole new build and not having to sell the 8700k to get some cash back. :p

ETA: I initially thought I'd be OK as reviews are showing 3960x + 2080Ti as pulling ~400W from the wall.

As I feared. The extra £200 isn't the issue, so much as if I'm buying a board, CPU and PSU I'm basically only a case away from a whole new build and not having to sell the 8700k to get some cash back. :p

ETA: I initially thought I'd be OK as reviews are showing 3960x + 2080Ti as pulling ~400W from the wall.

No way you should be running that kind of machine from essentially a budget PSU. Gold/Platinum 750W or greater and I'd be looking at 1000W for a Ripper. Once you overclock these items the power draw gets higher!

The only part I was going to carry over from my 5960X system was my AX1500i, however cowering in the awe of the ripper it seems to have expired. I went for Coolermaster v1300, which is also in the sale :)

Looks like I'm going to have everything I need on Monday apart from a motherboard! (I'm certainly not complaining as I didn't expect to see the CPU this year :p).

Nice one chaps. Let us know how you find the fans, would you? Pics would be nice too. My order's not due to arrive until in the week (and they may hold off until the board's in stock?) so I have time to change my mind.

I'm not surprised, Gibbo. You may have missed my earlier post, but do you have an eta on the (TRX40) Aorus Pro wifi?

i don’t look after main boards sorry and I’m only one in office as thought I’d pop in and see how sales were going over weekend, needless to say all records broken but of course have an epic AMD CPUs in stock helps a lot with sales.

Back
Top Bottom