• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Does anyone think we will see an 8 or 16 core Zen CPU with a Vega GPU on the same die?

TR4 seems to have enough land for it.

With a 16 core Zen + a 2000ish shader Vega to occupy the place of one of the dummy cores along with 8-16GB of HBM memory for the on board Vega graphics and as an L4 cache for the CPU should be an interesting product.

Would a Vega GPU on a different die occupy the place of one of the dummy cores and be connected via IF? Or is the bandwidth provided by IF in it's current form too slow to accommodate such a configuration?

Permabanned
Now that 32GB DDR4 modules are available from Samsung & co. do we expect TR boards to support them with a BIOS update? Would love to move to 256GB of RAM in my next build.

The max is 128 GB, and if you install 2 kits of 32 GB (4 X 8 GB), you will have 64 GB.

From your signature, I see you already have so.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Can be. Someone needs to test them and see if higher frequencies with the same latencies will be stable.

I'm running 16-18-18-18 @ 3466 on cheapo Avexir ram so I'm not sure what the point of that ram is.

Soldato
The max is 128 GB, and if you install 2 kits of 32 GB (4 X 8 GB), you will have 64 GB.

From your signature, I see you already have so.
Yus - sorry I was not referring to that new kit that was posted (4*8gb), I was wondering if anyone had seen support for 32gb modules discussed anywhere. As I understand it TR supports way more than 128gb, but the limitation at this point is with the motherboard vendors (TR CPU supports 512gb per memory channel theoretically) - though that will never be achieved as no one offers TR board with support for registered memory.

But Samsung did recently announced 32GB unbuffered dimms (highest capacity yet achieved without rdimms):
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/module/M378A4G43MB1-CTD/

Intel have stated they will support the new modules with a BIOS update, at least on some of their newest platforms like Xeon E for example - doubling the memory capacity of some of the boards to 128gb from the 64gb that most of the 4 bank boards currently support. Hoping AMD camp will be able to do something similar at some point :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Posting this here as I have a problem with a Threadripper 1950x, this is really now a cry for help, I've tried multiple MOBOs/PSU/Memory in countless combinations but I can't get this sucker to work. I've sunk litteraly 100s of hours and £££ into this :( I've been building PCs since the 1980s but honestly this has me beat!

So far I've tried
  • Different Memory in many combinations
  • Different PSUs
  • Different Taichi Mobo
  • Aorus X399 Mobo
  • Different GFX cards
  • Removing Mobo battery etc.
I'd convinced myself that the MOBO was the issue so I bought another board, plugged it all together and I get exactly the same error code (90)!!! (you could have knocked me down with a feather).

I've now purchased a Aorus X399 AORUS PRO and I still get the some Code 90 error!

Can't really believe my luck as it had been working up until I upgraded to the 3.60 BIOS (Taichi), the PC just crashed while unattended last and now fails to start! (error code 90, which I have had ever since)

HELP!!

Cheers

HEADRAT

Soldato
Going to sound really, really dumb, but did the post code change if your remove all of the PCI-E devices including the GPU?

Yes, if I remove different components it get stuck on something other than 90, e.g. if I pull all the memory it gets stuck on Q-Code 16.

In regards to flashback I'd try that if it was just one board (in fact the original board is in the process of being RMAd as it won't flashback) but I'v had the same error code (90) on two brand new MOBOs:

1 x Taichi x 399
1 x Aorus X399

I'm really leaning towards that the CPU could be knackered (it's a OEM chip so no warranty, hence why I'm trying everything to get it working).

Thanks all for your suggestions as I'm really left "scratching my head".

Back
Top Bottom