• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Guru has the full article and video here. Sadly my ASUS Prime X399 still has not received a BIOS update so I may return this for the Zenith as the main point for me buying this platform the ability of RAIDing M2's.
I have the same board, I don't expect RAID on the internal M2 will be the way to go with this, separate PCIE cards will offer the fastest solution compared to any current motherboard I would think.

Associate
I have the same board, I don't expect RAID on the internal M2 will be the way to go with this, separate PCIE cards will offer the fastest solution compared to any current motherboard I would think.

If going for 3 or less NVME drives I wouldn't expect any difference as each drive gets dedicated PCIE lanes.

Soldato
I am trying to contact ASUS via their ROG forums, surely a GBP 500+ brand new motherboard has to have an option in BIOS for controlling a fan by the graphics card temperature...

How in gods name are Asus or whomever going to get the info from the GC with no driver apart from basic Vesa on boot ? That and the fact there are than many different GC's all with different hardware/sensors ect

Soldato
The thing for me is to be able to leave my dev tools open while a long test suite completes with a load of VMs - and I can play The Division while I'm waiting :)
Read the other day about being able to switch to using up to 8 cores only for gaming(to remove/reduce latency). Can you still use the other 8 for other stuff do you know, or does the CPU become an 8 core only visible to the OS? I assume it's the latter?
Currentl

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Switching to gaming mode in ryzen master basically shuts an entire die off to the OS. So it essentially becomes half of whatever chip you have. In my case with a 1920x, I get a 1600x in gaming mode. It helps with games that stupidly cannot run when they are presented with a cpu with so many threads available. (like Dirt which doesn't like anything greater than 20)

You can reduce latency by switching the memory access mode from distriibuted (UMA) to local (NUMA), which seems to reduce the latency by about 30ns or so. Ironically, the case for distributed is where higher bandwidth is needed, yet I don't seem to get any significant bandwidth improvements from using it, just a higher latency.

Soldato
The thing for me is to be able to leave my dev tools open while a long test suite completes with a load of VMs - and I can play The Division while I'm waiting :)

Read the other day about being able to switch to using up to 8 cores only for gaming(to remove/reduce latency). Can you still use the other 8 for other stuff do you know, or does the CPU become an 8 core only visible to the OS? I assume it's the latter?
Currentl

If you have AMD GPU also, under Linux it can be done :D
AMD supports pass through over VM, on both CPUs (and mobo resources) and GPU for almost 100% perf on VM.

(NV doesn't support that)

Associate
Ironically OCUK's parent company currently sell it for only £836, and delivery is about a £10 from Germany. I seem to find them very competitively priced, and if you don't mind waiting 2-3 days for delivery.

Aye I just priced up a system elsewhere in the UK and with the same components OCUK is some £200 more. I'm used to paying a bit more on OCUK as they are great but they seem slow off the mark here. Especially G-Skill RAM, way over-priced in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom