• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD To Launch RV770 On June 18th

It would be wise for AMD to have both GDDR3/5 support on the 4870 since a 1GB version of a GDDR5 4870 will probably cost quite a bit. While there are numerous reviews of of 4850 i didn't find any review that compares the 512MB vs 1GB versions of 4850 to see how much it benefits from the extra ram.
Btw the 4870x2 sounds to be very expensive , probably £40-50 more than the GTX280 since it will feature 2 4870 1GB cards.

If the 4870 reviews are reasonable on release (no reason they shouldnt be) I am hoping to build a rig with CrossfireX of two 4870's and a single 3800/4800 for a 2nd screen (as I believe you still cant dual screen with CrossfireX/SLI enabled?)

Have you run any benchies from stock to overclocked ? Does it get near to the perfromance as the 4870 ?

I was going to get a 4870 or 2 today but Im wondering whether overlclcking 4850's might be better bang for buck.

well it will do 750mhz no problem and once I get it under water I'm hoping for another 100 or so mhz for daily usage.

So regarding the 4870 it really comes down to how much of a difference the gDDR5 will really make, and if you want to bother fiddling around with the 4850 or not.

In the anandtech review they bench crysis at 1680x1050 no AA, but it seems their results are high for the "very high" settings, so I think they are just running it on high.

I will try it now and see what i get.

well it will do 750mhz no problem and once I get it under water I'm hoping for another 100 or so mhz for daily usage.

So regarding the 4870 it really comes down to how much of a difference the gDDR5 will really make, and if you want to bother fiddling around with the 4850 or not.

In the anandtech review they bench crysis at 1680x1050 no AA, but it seems their results are high for the "very high" settings, so I think they are just running it on high.

I will try it now and see what i get.

cool, and i dont mind fiddling.

im wonderring too whether the gDDR5 makes any difference. Hopefully your test will show.

How did you know what to pencil mod, can you provide any pics/links ?

...ok well I just ran the crysis bench that anandtech ran and I've already outperformed their 4870 which got 35.6fps...however I would imagine the gDDR5 would come into play more when AA is applied.

and I figured the pencil mod out because it was almost exactly the same as the 38xx series. Just check the modding and bios section on XS for more info.

52649585mq8.png

...ok well I just ran the crysis bench that anandtech ran and I've already outperformed their 4870 which got 35.6fps...however I would imagine the gDDR5 would come into play more when AA is applied.

and I figured the pencil mod out because it was almost exactly the same as the 38xx series. Just check the modding and bios section on XS for more info.

52649585mq8.png

anandtech had shaders set to very high.

shouldnt we close this thread now? people have to read 78 pages, a bit insane really. We should make a new thread all the info about these cards with review links etc, would be a lot easier to maintain and read.

tbh I am too lazy to take the card out and pencil more at the moment. i should be revising for a mechanics/kinematics resit :/ temps are not a problem yet though, max i've seen is 58c under load and thats with 80% fan duty.

anyway here's my result at 750/1100 with shaders at very high. The difference between my 4850 and anandtechs 4870 is a little over 1fps. I don't know whether that's in the margin of error or not as they had a much different system from me (ddr3, 45nm quad, 790i...etc)...so the difference could be more or a little less.

32runqn5.png

Back
Top Bottom