• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD To Launch RV770 On June 18th

Associate
My 8800 GTX got a reprieve when the 9800 GTX/9800 GX2 didn't appear to be sound investments. Hopefully, the new cards will be worth replacing it this time ;)

Caporegime
OP
Can a mod please change this into the Official RV770 thread please.

RV770XT to e-tail for $229

ATI's Radeon RV770XT-based cards powered with GDDR5 memory will end up with a $229 suggested e-tail price and it’s likely to drop quickly to under the $200 mark. This is the price for a 512MB card that should be the top of the mainstream / performance line of ATI RV770 generation.

Naturally, the RV770PRO card with 512MB of GDDR3 memory will end up cheaper and it will launch at under $200 suggested e-tail price.

RV770XT will replace Radeon 3870 512MB cards on the market, while RV770PRO should replace 3850 cards of live on top of them.

We believe that ATI won’t kill its affordable Radeon 3870 and 3850 cards and will make them co-exist with RV770 based products, at least for the time being.

Associate
I wonder, is the (estimated) price an indication of the performance to expect from these cards..? I'd love to give ATI another shot, but not if they don't produce a killer card. I appreciate them making more value oriented solutions, but money isn't an issue with me; why can't they just produce a super fast, expensive video card?

Soldato
why can't they just produce a super fast, expensive video card?
Possibly because they know their cores are simply not going to be as fast as nVidia's. They will probably compete at the high end with their dual core cards vs nVidia's single core offerings. Right now, ATI have the more elegant solution when it comes to multi-core cards and their Crossfire platform is also more flexible than nVidia's SLI and offers certain price/productivity advantages. Where nVidia win out is on overall rendering performance and, at a guess, I would say this is unlikely to change with this next generation of offerings from both companies.

With the high end providing such a small income compared to the other sectors, it would make sense for ATI to concentrate on what these cards are probably going to be best at and offer them at a great price to boot.

Soldato
Faster than the 3870 at around the same price! :) Well that does sound tempting does it not?

from what ive read its even better than that, faster than a 3870x2 at around the same price of a 3870 :eek: looks like my old 1900xt will finaly be going to the great spares pile in the sky.

Soldato
Looks like NV will need a very fast card to justify there curent price range. I will be disappointment if Nv or ATi don't come up with more than x2 performance. Lets not forget that current cards are just raefresh of older cards ie 2900/8800. Will know about the naming fiasco by both companies.

Soldato
I think the rumours this time around sound much better for ati than it did the last time around with the 2900 which is always a decent indication that things have went well. If things are to be believed then ati's 4870 maybe faster than the 3870x2 for half the price which is great news. If they can sort out the 3870x2s flaws with the 4870x2 then they maybe somewhere near to nvidias top end this time around. The only thing that will hamper ati is if nvidia can offer a faster card for the same kind of price as ati's offerings but for me thats the only thing amd have given ati is the better manufacturing process over nvidia with there cpu experience and allows them to make things cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato
If ati bring the 4870 at around 200 i hope nvidia will drop their prices too if not i might just get a 4870 then for around 200,don't really want to pay over 300 for a card when a £200 card should be good enough for almost everything apart from crysis.

Back
Top Bottom