• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well yeah it would be, cheaper and faster than the Ryzens, so a no brainer.

To be honest i usually look to the future and i am pretty sure the way gaming is going with threads and cores that a Ryzen 1600x will last longer and perform better than a 7700k in the near future. I would say it's worth a punt as it's cheaper.

Associate
exactly this! And the average users don't seem to understand this and then you just get the majority calling it a failure.
I always look at it as a new gen console comes out. It's new it takes time for game devs to get used to the new hardware in order to optimise and develop their game engines in order for their games to make the most out of the hardware. It does not just happen overnight lol.
Hence the Dev kits AMD are sending out like you said.

Basically, your average user looks at the average FPS bar graphs, all stacked up nicely on top of each other and aligned to the left. They then look at the Ryzen bar:

Is it the top bar? -> Epic success

Is it not the top bar? -> Epic fail

That's about as far as their mind goes.

Associate
Basically, your average user looks at the average FPS bar graphs, all stacked up nicely on top of each other and aligned to the left. They then look at the Ryzen bar:

Is it the top bar? -> Epic success

Is it not the top bar? -> Epic fail

That's about as far as their mind goes.

Don't give them so much credit mate, the average user thinks Ryzen is some sort of rice cake ...

Soldato
did that really happen ? oh dear ... that would be so unbelievably pathetic behaviour. I really hope you're wrong, I mean I don't like AMD at all but I wouldn't expect such crappy behaviour from them ...

What happened was on the release of the 390/390x Amd used a bios string checker which prevented the 290/290x from installing the magical 15.15 driver. This driver gave around 10-15% improvement and clock for clock it gave the illusion that the 390/390x when compared to 290/290x was new silicon. People including myself were the first to mythbust and indeed Amd were guilty of dirty play here. As to 6 months I don't recall it being that long until Hawaii had parity with Grenada drivers, think it was more like 15.20

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well yeah it would be, cheaper and faster than the Ryzens, so a no brainer.
Yes, but only on games, it loses at pretty much every other thing. On top of that, going forward as games use more cores and they are optimised for Ryzen, the 1700 will be better than a 7700K. It is a no brainer if you are the type that upgrade mobo, cpu, ram every year or two I agree. But for others (majority I would argue) who do not and who plan into the future, they may arrive at a different conclusion ;)

This is OCUK! We don't need real info.
lol. Yeah, we just need more wffctech and videocardz click bait fake news links :p

Soldato
I wonder if it will be like the 390X where AMD withheld performance drivers for 6 months until the rebranded 290x came out and there was a special '390x' driver that gave some fantastic speed boost due to the "extensive architectural changes'. LOL [sic] and behold some people hack the 290X firmware and get the 390x drivers to work and see the exact same performance at the same clocks. AMD quickly back-peddle and release the driver for the 290x series and try and claim how great they are at giving users all this performance. Yeah, why didn't you release that performance 6 months ago. Sadly some people lap up AMD's marketing machine.

580xis a joke of a product given clocks. Still optimistic Vega will perform nicely, just too late to be effective. AMD have some nice tech in the pipeline though for beyond Vega10

You completely forgetting what really happened here LOL The 390X driver was a leaked Review driver that people hacked to get working with other GPUs
The Released official driver that AMD released not long after came with all the performance improvements for all GPUs.

Sorry but the true story don't sound has gripping has yours :( 10/10 Would read again!

Soldato
Well i came to that conclusion after the Fury fail, and since then, we've had the 480 fail, and the Ryzen fail, so....

Fury Fail I agree but the rest I disagree a lot..
The RX 480 has sold well for AMD, Ryzen offers much better than what Intel offers!! Gaming, Media Production, Streaming, Recording Ryzen does it all. The only thing that its lacking in performance and not by much is gaming!! And this will only get better.

Associate

my take away from the video:
1- Vega is a Pro market GPU, and probably lesser for gaming.
2- Vega could have more than expected power draw.
3- AIB will have the ability to really custom their cards, memory, size, cooling, etc ( yay ! )
4- AMD GPUs will have less memory from now on, the HBCC seem to be working well enough to be able to cut cost on packed memory, also means that Vega could be cheap, and low margins for AIB.
5- the switch between single and double precision on the fly seem cool, but will Devs bother intergrating that, if they dont already use it on consoles ( so if scorpio uses vega that would be cool for AMD ), but my guess if this tech works as i think it does, it will need sponsoring or wait untill next gen consoles if AMD manages to make a deal with them.

Permabanned
OP
my take away from the video:
1- Vega is a Pro market GPU, and probably lesser for gaming.
2- Vega could have more than expected power draw.
3- AIB will have the ability to really custom their cards, memory, size, cooling, etc ( yay ! )
4- AMD GPUs will have less memory from now on, the HBCC seem to be working well enough to be able to cut cost on packed memory, also means that Vega could be cheap, and low margins for AIB.
5- the switch between single and double precision on the fly seem cool, but will Devs bother intergrating that, if they dont already use it on consoles ( so if scorpio uses vega that would be cool for AMD ), but my guess if this tech works as i think it does, it will need sponsoring or wait untill next gen consoles if AMD manages to make a deal with them.
I already told a month before that VEGA is mostly for Pros rather than gamers just like Ryzen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You completely forgetting what really happened here LOL The 390X driver was a leaked Review driver that people hacked to get working with other GPUs
The Released official driver that AMD released not long after came with all the performance improvements for all GPUs.

Sorry but the true story don't sound has gripping has yours :( 10/10 Would read again!

I did not respond to what he said as I was not 100% sure, as I no longer update my drivers all the time unless I am about to play a new game or something it no longer makes sense. Many years ago I would update every time, beta or not. More likely to run into issues when one does that imo. In the back of my head I was thinking did that really happen like that? Hm... Looks at poster, moves to next post :p

Anyway, it is hard to take anything D.P. says seriously as whenever he posts it is almost always anti AMD and pro Nvidia. If AMD slips up a little, he finds a way of magnifying it and making it look much worse than it is and paint them as an evil company. Silly childish stuff really when you think about it, as AMD have done nothing that I can think about that is half as bad as what Nvidia pulled with the 970. Yet you still somehow get people singing the praises of one company and trying to bury the other. Just screams agenda to me.

End of the day I want both companies around for healthy competition so we all benefit.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
To save people time, there is no new info in that video. It is basically what raja said before handing out t-shirts. Lol

The info was just delivered more professionally, but this time suffered from lack of passion/excitement when being delivered.

Permabanned
OP
To save people time, there is no new info in that video. It is basically what raja said before handing out t-shirts. Lol

The info was just delivered more professionally, but this time suffered from lack of passion/excitement when being delivered.
The passion comes when someone believe that they have the best and can shake the whole market like Maxwell and Pascal. Even the people sitting there knows that AMD has totally given up on beating nvidia best GPU.

AMD is shift its focus more on professional market for example, people who are gamers and professional as well than VEGA is a very good option for them ,however, if you are gamer and want the best than Pascal high end is the best option for you just like i7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom