• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
didn't read my previous post?

HD7950 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me, replace it with a new R9 280 and I didn't get any black screens after that.

Now on a completely different system the 390 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me.

What do you think is causing all that? I will tell you, AMD incompetence...

Mate I'm not sure if anyone is actually interested. Maybe like someone has already said, you should probably just stick to Nvidia and rid your mind of any potential worries. Life is too short after all. :)

Soldato
didn't read my previous post?

HD7950 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me, replace it with a new R9 280 and I didn't get any black screens after that.

Now on a completely different system the 390 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me.

What do you think is causing all that? I will tell you, AMD incompetence...
PEBKAC.

Man of Honour
Did you do ANY testing at all to come to that conclusion or are you just trying to convince yourself that this could be the only possibility?

It could be anything from an overclock going wonky to a power supply not giving enough power but it has to be the cards right? I have had a 9700pro>X800XT PE>X1900>3870>4870>5870>7970>390X and had no black screen issues whatsoever.

There was a known black screen issue with a small number of 79xx cards IIRC solvable with a firmware update but not 100% on that as its been awhile. Early 200 series were plagued by it (seemed to be down to a dodgy batch of VRAM in >80% of instances) but not aware of anyone reporting the same issues with the 300 series except very isolated cases which are likely to be either the normal failure rate for GPUs or something specific to their setup i.e. dodgy system RAM.

Soldato
I will watch it in the morning, anyone actually staying up until 4am to watch it?

I'll probably watch it and post anything relevant. Maybe do a screen record as the other one was quite fast. Im sure the info will be vital and game changing and only my own perceptions on presentation can uniquely decipher the Vega enigma :p Plus I dont trust websites not to exaggerate

Not sure what exactly you are expecting to hear during AMD's presentation on the 31st, but I'm sure we won't be seeing any trustworthy benchmarks, just fluff and possibly a release date with pricing.
T shirts, new logo designs. So many possibles that could change my day

MuImPGk.png
If they had aimed to first release a lower card compromised version it might have arrived already. They'd steal sales from themselves as people always overbuy if given the two choices at once. Unless their hand is forced or Vega is in the main going to be selling outside of gaming on its other uses then I dont think we see the lower card months before the full blown one. They already said Frontier will release now so they'll do a similar gaming version now (or firstly anyway)

While at the same time I've had an AMD 4670 and GTX 470 since their launches, and are perfectly fine. The GTX 470 went to a friend as her first desktop I put together from salvaged parts, and it's still ticking. While the 4670 is a reliable back up card for me, used it last year for over 3 months. :p
I had a 4870 similar, put it to backup and then recently been using it to play gta5. I estimate its done at least 1 billion rotations on the stock fan assembly now, maybe several billion.
8 or 9 years in use.
On the other hand, had a 7950 went wrong in a few months. A fire started on the circuit board. Replaced but that also a bad chip for the fan speed, at this point I should have just replaced cooling myself but instead I RMA who then lose it in at the couriers sending it back to me. Arrives but never works properly again, no more then a few months did this card ever work and RMA people say buy another one lol total fail.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Everytime I scroll down I get more angry. It's hard to believe people like that are around.

It's like the worst of the YouTube comment section from 2008 bred with /b and gave us wccft comments.

Heh but they're everywhere. Same stuff between most console owners. Does it still happen between processors these days? I remember it was the same between Apple and Microsoft for operating systems many years ago.

Soldato
Heh but they're everywhere. Same stuff between most console owners. Does it still happen between processors these days? I remember it was the same between Apple and Microsoft for operating systems many years ago.

Have a look down there, not a single bit of logic, no arguments, debates nothing, trolling on trolling. It's horrific....

Associate
Did you do ANY testing at all to come to that conclusion or are you just trying to convince yourself that this could be the only possibility?

It could be anything from an overclock going wonky to a power supply not giving enough power but it has to be the cards right? I have had a 9700pro>X800XT PE>X1900>3870>4870>5870>7970>390X and had no black screen issues whatsoever.
Replacing my HD7950 with a new R9 280(same power draw from psu) FIX the issues with black screens, so it is only logical thet the HD7950 was faulty and nothing else, why is that hard for you to get it?
The say is true for the 390, as many people have the same problem with the 390.

Soldato
Replacing my HD7950 with a new R9 280(same power draw from psu) FIX the issues with black screens, so it is only logical thet the HD7950 was faulty and nothing else, why is that hard for you to get it?
The say is true for the 390, as many people have the same problem with the 390.

You have clearly made your mind up, so why not just buy a 1080 now and get it over with?

Soldato
Source?

You obviously don't want an AMD card which is fine, buy Nvidia.

They do exist still on 390 cards, I can vouch for that, and in my time trying to diagnose I've read posts on guru3d, AMD support forums etc with similar issues.

I get black screens when I run any core clock over stock, I have to undervolt my cards to stop it happening. Tried more than a dozen dp cables, it happens over dvi/hdmi as well as dp so I know it's not cables or ports. I've also tried different monitors still black screens. It only happens at higher resolutions and higher refresh rates I've found for mine. On my 1080p tv it doesnt happen. I now run my cards at 1000mhz and -31mv, it's the only way when gaming on my 1440p screen I can stop the brief black screens occurring. They last less than a second, but bloody annoying when gaming.

I even borrowed a couple of Kaapstads rx480s a couple months back to test, no black screens on them.

Last edited:
Associate
my 390 apart from sounding like a jet taking off, doesnt black screen, mind you it is a replacement for previous r390 that artifacted from the get go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom