• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I had similar issues with my 7950 - thought it was a write-off for a while - but i took the heatsink off and the thermal compound was just everywhere, all over the caps and network resistors next to the core etc. cleaned it up, heatsink back on, no more issues. Still runs fine to this day..

Permabanned
It is common knowledge that black screens are a real problem with AMD cards

Complaints about black screeens happened years ago and they're not relevant today. It's like refusing to buy an RS Focus because your RS 2000's cabin was noisy when on the motorway.

and i have had multiple amd / ati card and had zero issues at all.

Same here, I may of forgot some but as far as I can remember right now the only card that's failed on me was an Asus DCUII 560ti.

Permabanned
I loved the Sapphire X1950XTX cards. They were solid though a tad noisy since they were blower. Red, silver and copper. Yum.

Didn't XFX used to get a lot of bad reputation? Though I didn't experience it myself. Their Radeon 5870 Black Edition was solid.

I'm not sure, I've never owned one or took much notice to be honest, From what I read they did the best RX 480 last gen.

Soldato
There was a known black screen issue with a small number of 79xx cards IIRC solvable with a firmware update but not 100% on that as its been awhile. Early 200 series were plagued by it (seemed to be down to a dodgy batch of VRAM in >80% of instances) but not aware of anyone reporting the same issues with the 300 series except very isolated cases which are likely to be either the normal failure rate for GPUs or something specific to their setup i.e. dodgy system RAM.
I had 2 290X cards that had the issue. It was fixable by forcing a fixed clock speed. The problem was that the card would switch to 2D clocks in times of low demand, and it'd cause a hang as the VRAM voltage went too low.

It was frustrating as hell, but went away with a very minor fix.

Soldato
I want a GPU that gives me peace of mind, without black screens and bs like these.

So you are saying that I am a victim of nvidia marketing?

Look at my signature I am using an AMD card, also my last 3 cards were also from AMD.
My experience with AMD cards are just horrible (black screens left and right) I had enough from AMD, on the other hand I had around 10 nvidia cards in the past and I didn't had any issues with them. So it is only logical to go with the GTX 1080 instead of vega, maybe when the time comes I will get NAVI, to give AMD another chance, but right now I am too scared to try another AMD card.

I have used ati 1950 (xt i think it was) then 4950 then a 6950 unlocked to 6970. Then 290x. Every card for me has been flawless. Drivers were great except with 1950xt when i tried 3rd party drivers called omega drivers but they were modified ati drivers.

Now i went 980ti and had driver issues. Put my pc into a boot loop. Had to reset my cmos and boot into safe mode and uninstall drivers. Was a fekin heasache. Had a couple issues with 1080ti fe at first but sorted them. No issues putting it under water though. Point is ive had more issues with nvidia than ati/amd. Problem is 980ti was more attractive last gen and so far 1080ti was more attractive performance wise. Cba to wait for vega. So i go with performance. I dont let past problems put me off as you get them with both sides. If its a QA prpblem from a vendor then thats different.

Soldato
AMD have history of releasing new hardware at this event coming up right, hope lives but Raja will not be speaking in the next week at all ?

This website needs some inception music, more hype required

http://ve.ga/

They have already confirmed that RX Vega won't be released at Computex. It doesn't mean they won't release something Vega or maybe Thread Ripper.

V F

V F

Soldato
I have used ati 1950 (xt i think it was) then 4950 then a 6950 unlocked to 6970. Then 290x. Every card for me has been flawless. Drivers were great except with 1950xt when i tried 3rd party drivers called omega drivers but they were modified ati drivers.

Now i went 980ti and had driver issues. Put my pc into a boot loop. Had to reset my cmos and boot into safe mode and uninstall drivers. Was a fekin heasache. Had a couple issues with 1080ti fe at first but sorted them. No issues putting it under water though. Point is ive had more issues with nvidia than ati/amd. Problem is 980ti was more attractive last gen and so far 1080ti was more attractive performance wise. Cba to wait for vega. So i go with performance. I dont let past problems put me off as you get them with both sides. If its a QA prpblem from a vendor then thats different.

Was Omega the Radeon drivers back in the day under 9700/9800/800/850 cards made by some 3rd party user that added even more image quality? I cannot even remember if I used them with the x1950xtx cards. I remember using Omega with 9800XT and 850XT. They were nice. I think every ATi card I had was near flawless, saying that I do not ever recall having issues with NVIDIA either except with one game, MX vs ATV Unlimited with a 7800GS+.

Soldato
Was Omega the Radeon drivers back in the day under 9700/9800/800/850 cards made by some 3rd party user that added even more image quality? I cannot even remember if I used them with the x1950xtx cards. I remember using Omega with 9800XT and 850XT. They were nice. I think every ATi card I had was near flawless, saying that I do not ever recall having issues with NVIDIA either except with one game, MX vs ATV Unlimited with a 7800GS+.
Yea omega drivers added extra detail and performance. I cant remember what ati card i had before one i tried with the omega drivers but it worked really well. But not so well for the x1950xt. Might of had compatability issues dunno. But yea 3rd party drivers.

Associate
So based upon my extensive research, Twitter :) , AMD needn't have stocked up on all the detergent to clean brown trousers after Nvidia's 'Volta' announcement this morning? Looks just like improvements for enthusiast laptop gaming?

Caporegime
So are we getting a live preview, details and likely release date tomorrow? Please don't screw this up AMD!!! I have been patiently waiting with my hot but trusty 290.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom