• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah, it all just happens. My Titan X Maxwell died within a few days, and so did my R9 390X. It happens sadly.

Worst GPU death for me wa an 8800GTS in a friend's PC when we had a LAN; the one CAP on it blew. Made us all jump!

While at the same time I've had an AMD 4670 and GTX 470 since their launches, and are perfectly fine. The GTX 470 went to a friend as her first desktop I put together from salvaged parts, and it's still ticking. While the 4670 is a reliable back up card for me, used it last year for over 3 months. :p

The only card that was DOA was an Nvidia FX5600, blew the PSU too. Flash, bang, lots of smoke, quite spectacular. Still hurts after all this time never did get the money back for the replacement PSU.

Same
Am willing to bet these guys that had black screen was pushing a GPU overclock that wasn't stable.
When I was just starting out trying overclocking I pushed the memory to high and that resulted in games black screening.

Unstable overclocks usually results in wierd screen artifacts for me on me 390/Fury I've only ever had one card blackscreen on me and thats my current 1080 FTW and I believe thats the VRM's overheating issue. I'm still running a custom afterburner profile for that.

Soldato
The only card that was DOA was an Nvidia FX5600, blew the PSU too. Flash, bang, lots of smoke, quite spectacular. Still hurts after all this time never did get the money back for the replacement PSU.

Unstable overclocks usually results in wierd screen artifacts for me on me 390/Fury I've only ever had one card blackscreen on me and thats my current 1080 FTW and I believe thats the VRM's overheating issue. I'm still running a custom afterburner profile for that.

Artifacts come from a core overclock to much without the required voltage bump. Memory pushed to far results in a black out. Least in my experience of Overclocking.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm willing to bet Nvidia and AMD cards fail at the same rate. After all, other than EVGA and Sapphire (both very good) they are the same board partners.

I loved the Sapphire X1950XTX cards. They were solid though a tad noisy since they were blower. Red, silver and copper. Yum.

You missed a few like Zotac, XFX. HIS, KFA2, Palit & Powercolor,
I'm sure I missed a few too. :)

Didn't XFX used to get a lot of bad reputation? Though I didn't experience it myself. Their Radeon 5870 Black Edition was solid.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Associate
Im willing to bet there is no data to suggest AMD fail more often than Nvidia.
And it really Vega the question. You have openly said you will not be buying AMD again. So why are you in this thread?

I really want to get VEGA but I am simply too afraid to try another AMD card, if only I have some reassurance from AMD at computex, something like this "VEGA will be 1000% black screen free".

Saying AMD cards give you "black screens" is not really helpful and if multiple cards have done it then I would suggest it's more likely another issue.

AMD cards are the issue

Had a HD7950 that worked perfectly fine for a year or so, and then it starts to give black screens, replace it with a new R9 280(same gpu really) and black screens immediately stop, so the HD7950 was responsible here.

Now with the 390 it is on a completely different system, my 390 again worked perfectly fine for around 20 months and suddenly it starts to giving me black screens.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Are you 12? I've never read any thing so ridiculous (except maybe on Reddit).
I really want to get VEGA but I am simply too afraid to try another AMD card, if only I have some reassurance from AMD at computex, something like this "VEGA will be 1000% black screen free".

AMD cards are the issue

Had a HD7950 that worked perfectly fine for a year or so, and then it starts to give black screens, replace it with a new R9 280(same gpu really) and black screens immediately stop, so the HD7950 was responsible here.

Now with the 390 it is on a completely different system, my 390 again worked perfectly fine for around 20 months and suddenly it starts to giving me black screens.

AMD cards have a pretty similar failure rate to Nvidia cards, you might be unlucky with them, but that doesn't mean they are intrinsically more likely to fail. I'm sure there a lots of people with multiple Nvidia cards that have failed.

Associate
So many issues so many black screens with so many cards? Has to be another issue causing all that surely.
didn't read my previous post?

HD7950 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me, replace it with a new R9 280 and I didn't get any black screens after that.

Now on a completely different system the 390 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me.

What do you think is causing all that? I will tell you, AMD incompetence...

Soldato
didn't read my previous post?

HD7950 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me, replace it with a new R9 280 and I didn't get any black screens after that.

Now on a completely different system the 390 worked perfectly fine for a long period of time before it starts black screen on me.

What do you think is causing all that? I will tell you, AMD incompetence...

Did you do ANY testing at all to come to that conclusion or are you just trying to convince yourself that this could be the only possibility?

It could be anything from an overclock going wonky to a power supply not giving enough power but it has to be the cards right? I have had a 9700pro>X800XT PE>X1900>3870>4870>5870>7970>390X and had no black screen issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom