• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who watches Jay's video and wondered what he was talking about with the voltage and temps.. I had thought to myself that AMD already this behaviour, why is he making it out like its an actual issue? Fair enough the board was having a brain fart but immediately blaming this on AMD and not MSI was an odd one (I say this as the problem appeared to be board / bios specific rather than systematic). Maybe he should have geared the video towards fixing the issue and making more of a "tutorial" on what to do if you do encounter such a problem.

Actually the issue is that is using a pre-production review MEG board, which are faulty.
Retail MSI MEG cards haven't inherited that fault.

However his idiocy of promoting downvolting the Ryzen CPUs to 1.35v shows beyond doubt his knowledge of the matter at hand.

Soldato
Lots of comments mention Hardwareunboxed calling him out for having a preproduction board and Jay deleting their comment rather than addressing it openly.

Yeah deleting those helpful comments and then going on Twitter crying that got 10% negative votes from "AMD fanboys".
The guy is a pillock. On reddit is been pelted by rotten tomatoes constantly since yesterday. Especially from people who have the technical knowledge why downvolting the Ryzen 3000 Jay promotes, is bad for the CPU, stability and performance of the system.
According to AMD is fine to use offset negative, but not force all core 1.35v

Soldato
FYI Jay not only deleted Hardware Unboxed comment that the board is using is faulty since it's review/pre-production one, but also started deleting posts which are asking why deleted Hardware Unboxed post and all the responses.

As said the guy is a pillock. Deserves to be boycotted it by MSI & AMD.

Caporegime
I see MSI themselves have commented on the video about it being a pre production sample. They then go on to say they would be happy to send him another board. Very magnanimous of them. I’d have been tempted to tell him to **** off!

Hardware unboxed are right though. Gigabyte are the king of X570 boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see MSI themselves have commented on the video about it being a pre production sample. They then go on to say they would be happy to send him another board. Very magnanimous of them. I’d have been tempted to tell him to **** off!

Hardware unboxed are right though. Gigabyte are the king of X570 boards.

Actually on top of the range. HU has even said X570 Taichi been the best on mid tier (latest video). And at least myself can vouch for it.

Caporegime
Doesn't allow the CPU do it's own thing and downvolt normally, throwing out of the window it's AI functionality of how to boost it self. So maintains high core speed and high voltage all the time.

If you're running a set clock is it damaging? I can run 4.33ghz all core at 1.35V, which is faster than just leaving it to boost.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Can you explain it one more time please for those that don't want to trawl through the thread ! :(

In summary (when running everything on default, out of the box settings);

Firstly, the voltage range for the 3000 series CPU's is 0.2v to 1.5v depending on what is happening with the CPU. Each CPU also has a current/wattage "budget" and a temperature limit.

Generally, on low load, low core count, short duration "bursty" workloads the CPU's will boost a couple of cores to try and reach their max advertised boost clocks (i.e. for a 3700X thats 4.4Ghz) This uses the higher voltages to achieve this i.e. 1.45-1.5v, as it's only 1 or 2 cores and the workloads aren't particularly heavy or intense then current is lower and so can fit within its "budget"

However, this behavior with these short bursts of higher voltage on just a couple of cores means a spike of heat is also generated in a very very small area, causing the temperature of the CPU to increase quickly albeit briefly. This isn't something wrong with the CPU, and will not harm the CPU. The 3000 CPU's are really sensitive to these requests from software and will boost at the most menial of requests i.e. hardware monitoring programs, RGB lighting software, even sometimes just moving your mouse. This wasn't doing any harm or damaging the CPU's, but a lot of people didn't like this behavior and complained, so this has somewhat been negated with recent BIOS and chipset updates from AMD. They now to tell the CPU to disregard a lot of these requests and only really fully boost on longer more sustained low core count requests.

As more cores are loaded the overall boost frequency drops, and so does the voltage to compensate for extra load as current increases. So cinebench for example, which loads all cores, will mean that on a 3700x, the frequency will drop to about 4Ghz, and the voltage will drop to around 1.28v. This keeps the CPU within the current budget and also helps keep temperatures in check.

Temperature also has an effect on the boost behavior, although this doesn't drastically effect boost frequency until about 75c. With regard to temperatures, the latest Ryzen Master software now shows an average, rather than a peak spike temperature that may of only lasted a brief millisecond. However other monitor programs may not have been updated to reflect this change and still show the peak burst temperature spike, and a lot of other motherboard fan control systems tend to still use those peak readings which means some people hear their fans rev up constantly even on desktop, so custom fan profiles really need to be set to mitigate this behavior.

Soldato
If you're running a set clock is it damaging? I can run 4.33ghz all core at 1.35V, which is faster than just leaving it to boost.

Because you pushing the CPU to operate constantly instead of boosting properly.

Look at @ljt post above. Did a better analysis. My advice is leave Boost & core at default using the ABBA bios.
And overclock IF to 1900 and RAM as that is where all the gains on Ryzen are. Up to 36% more fps in games, which is huge overclock, than a mere 100mhz which means nothing.

Caporegime
Have you used the Ryzen RAM calculator correctly? I had no issue when followed to the letter.
What's your motherboard?

Tried the RAM calculator but will give it another whirl. X570 Taichi is my board.

Perhaps not all chips can do 1900mhz. I'll have a tinker and see what other settings are suggested in the Taichi thread.

Back
Top Bottom