• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
IIRC BIOS builds are getting larger also, and the MAX board I think has 32 instead of 16 for BIOS storage, which is one of the reasons going forward it may prove more useful.

Soldato
Yeah I know. I thought that and the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon were regarded as the best budget boards?
As others have said, either that or the Gigabyte B450 AORUS Pro. The MSI was the most recommended because it had BIOS Flashback - with the Gigabyte there's no guarantee you'll get one with a compatible BIOS. I assume there's a much higher chance of getting a compatible one now we're in October.

From what I recall, MSI weren't bothering with a MAX version of the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, hence why the newer Tomahawk MAX was being recommended. As the MAX versions came with a larger BIOS EEPROM, and Zen 2 support out of the box, the Carbon AC has been left to look like a dinosaur despite the fact it was the choice for Zen+ CPUs.

Soldato
so new chipset is needed (PCIe 4.0)

Don't really have much interest in PCIe 4.0 as I don't really see much of a "use case" for me personally, the only use at the moment seem to be SSDs that in "real world" don't really seem to offer anything massively over NVMe M.2.

OK there are some crazy "on paper" numbers but don't really equate to much!

My x399 Taichi will probably have to do for now ;)

Soldato
RAM & Infinity Fabric. But nothing critical if you are at mid 60 range.
eg I am on 63ns latency, having tuned my 3600C16 RAM to the Dram Calculator settings for 3800C16 with 1900IF. (66nm at stock XMP 3600C16 with IF 1800).
A 9900K is at around 56ns however we shouldn't compare apples & oranges. Intel mainstream platform is on Ring topology still with all the limitations that includes. (aka cannot scale easily with over 10 cores).

AMD even on AM4 platform is moving into HEDT territory when comes to overall performance. And there even with quad channel ram the MESH topology based CPUs are at 79ns (9980XE is a good example), with really good ram settings also (3600C16).

That to answer your previous question.

Regarding Dram Calculator is paramount to use it if you want to succeed on tuning the ram. It doesn't only tell you timings etc, but power configuration and how to set other subsystems for maximum performance.
Is a great tool including a memory benchmark/test also.

If you use Thaiphoon Burner, read your memory module and post the image here, I can use the Dram calculator to show you what would be a good setup for your ram. However it won't be 100% accurate, as it required to read your RAM settings on it's own.

I'm just doing it on my own as a sort of learning objective for myself really as I've never done any sort of OC'ing in my life.
I'm currently trying to get my Crucial Ballistix 2x16GB 3200CL16 stable at 3733CL16. So far I'm at 1400% on memtest with a latency of 68.2ns. I can't seem to get any lower than that no matter what I change.

Soldato
PCIe 4.0 requires active cooling on most boards and X570 has a hefty early adopter tax attached to it. However, older chipsets work fine too. With Zen 4 though, AM4 compatibility will be gone. They'll probably end up having say an X770 chipset with PCIe 5.0 and a B750 or X760 chipset with PCIe 4.0, and that'll be the main (if not only) delineation between the top two chipsets.

Soldato
PCIe 4.0 requires active cooling on most boards and X570 has a hefty early adopter tax attached to it. However, older chipsets work fine too. With Zen 4 though, AM4 compatibility will be gone. They'll probably end up having say an X770 chipset with PCIe 5.0 and a B750 or X760 chipset with PCIe 4.0, and that'll be the main (if not only) delineation between the top two chipsets.

X760 - First time ever seen, water cooling built into motherboard (to cool the chipset). :D

Back
Top Bottom