• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I'm either going to buy tomahawk max or wait for the carbon AC version of b550

I've a tomahawk max which seems to do what it should in regards boosts, seems stable, runs cool, and that under stock.
Still playing about with it, but frankly, as I am not planning to push that machine to do much, i won't be spending long at it, all seems to do what it should do, including the boosts.

If you are buying 3600 3600x or low end, I'd have no hesitation regarding the max, as long as you only need 1 m2 slot, and don't need pcei4, which the B550 probably won't have anyway.
If you are planning to slot a future processor inside, then consider wait.

Soldato
I'm either going to buy tomahawk max or wait for the carbon AC version of b550

If you do not want PCIe 4.0 get a B450 or B550 board. Tomahawk Max is a great board already.
It works nicely with 3900X and it would with 3950X.

Keep away from Carbon. No other reason the X570 carbon is a pile of poo, already replaced by the Hybrid in just 2 months.

Associate
I've a tomahawk max which seems to do what it should in regards boosts, seems stable, runs cool, and that under stock.
Still playing about with it, but frankly, as I am not planning to push that machine to do much, i won't be spending long at it, all seems to do what it should do, including the boosts.

If you are buying 3600 3600x or low end, I'd have no hesitation regarding the max, as long as you only need 1 m2 slot, and don't need pcei4, which the B550 probably won't have anyway.
If you are planning to slot a future processor inside, then consider wait.

Good to know, I honestly can't be bothered messing about with it since theres no OC headroom, I will tweek my ram thats it, 3600 unless 3700x gets some big sale. I did want better sound codec than whats on the tomahawk if paying 110£ to be honest, will only be using one m2 as well. Just know soon as I buy full b550 range be announced within a week and out before christmas

Soldato
Aye that is the thing, my wife's machine was so old I cba waiting, and it isn't going anywhere, there is a usb c on the back, and a usb3..2 as well as 2*3.1 on the back, so i am happy enough from a remote connection POV in future.
Sound isn't a big issue with her, there are various speaker connections, but bar a simple 2.1 I wasn't adding anything more. So can't comment on sound.
I think the b550 are not far away tbh.

Associate
Aye that is the thing, my wife's machine was so old I cba waiting, and it isn't going anywhere, there is a usb c on the back, and a usb3..2 as well as 2*3.1 on the back, so i am happy enough from a remote connection POV in future.
Sound isn't a big issue with her, there are various speaker connections, but bar a simple 2.1 I wasn't adding anything more. So can't comment on sound.
I think the b550 are not far away tbh.

If they Q4 ill wait (I know they oem Q4) as would rather pay 10-20 more for better sound and newer but if they Q1 i'll get the tomahawk.

Soldato
Ok thanks. I'm trying to learn how to do it on my own without Ryzen calculator so was just curious.

RAM & Infinity Fabric. But nothing critical if you are at mid 60 range.
eg I am on 63ns latency, having tuned my 3600C16 RAM to the Dram Calculator settings for 3800C16 with 1900IF. (66nm at stock XMP 3600C16 with IF 1800).
A 9900K is at around 56ns however we shouldn't compare apples & oranges. Intel mainstream platform is on Ring topology still with all the limitations that includes. (aka cannot scale easily with over 10 cores).

AMD even on AM4 platform is moving into HEDT territory when comes to overall performance. And there even with quad channel ram the MESH topology based CPUs are at 79ns (9980XE is a good example), with really good ram settings also (3600C16).

That to answer your previous question.

Regarding Dram Calculator is paramount to use it if you want to succeed on tuning the ram. It doesn't only tell you timings etc, but power configuration and how to set other subsystems for maximum performance.
Is a great tool including a memory benchmark/test also.

If you use Thaiphoon Burner, read your memory module and post the image here, I can use the Dram calculator to show you what would be a good setup for your ram. However it won't be 100% accurate, as it required to read your RAM settings on it's own.

Soldato
That is rather interesting, in half the benchmarks they jumped the 9900K.
I assume these games are AMD friendly?
Or has there been that much of a change with maturation of the platform?

Soldato
That is rather interesting, in half the benchmarks they jumped the 9900K.
I assume these games are AMD friendly?
Or has there been that much of a change with maturation of the platform?

It has and more coming in with the next AGESA. Can see it on the games I play and couple are CPU bound (ESO) while others which are stretching to 10 cores feel better (X4)
Benchmark eg Cinebench has remained overall the same, but that's expected given the type of benchmark and how Ryzen 3000 works.

Associate
If you do not want PCIe 4.0 get a B450 or B550 board. Tomahawk Max is a great board already.
It works nicely with 3900X and it would with 3950X.

Keep away from Carbon. No other reason the X570 carbon is a pile of poo, already replaced by the Hybrid in just 2 months.

I thought the B450 carbon was regarded as one of the best?

Soldato
Anyone think overall gaming performance gonna improve much with Zen 3? Wonder if minimums will get up to Intel level or so where they are behind a bit.
8 core CCX per CCD with new better I/O, plus 20 million more transistors, plus 7nm+ process.

However thats not the case. Considering AGESA 1004 fixes the boost clocks on holding on 3900X/3950X mainly.

Already AGESA 1003ABBA show difference in performance in games when benchmarks are used. (check guru3d), with the new 1004 expect any gap left after ABBA to completely close when 3600C14 or 3800C16 ram is used.
Check Guru3d review of the Asrock X570 ITX. Using both ABB & ABBA on 3700X vs 9900K.
Yeah 3700X, not 3800X or 3900X!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom