• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
We have people like this in the paintball world as well. Swinging from super mouthy drama negative to super mouthy drama positive and vice versa. If the casual observer comes along and reads these things, it is damaging.

2700x is great price right now and only looses out to 3xxx series in gaming. The go-to chip right now for perf/value imo.

3 series looking really good in general.

Soldato
We have people like this in the paintball world as well. Swinging from super mouthy drama negative to super mouthy drama positive and vice versa. If the casual observer comes along and reads these things, it is damaging.

2700x is great price right now and only looses out to 3xxx series in gaming. The go-to chip right now for perf/value imo.

3 series looking really good in general.

AT least those folk in the paintball world actually do paintball. 4k8k owns a laptop and never built a PC before and his knowledge is his google brain. He won't read this as I too, am ignored for calling him out.:p

Soldato
QUOTE="Woodsta888, post: 33198089, member: 152943"]AT least those folk in the paintball world actually do paintball. 4k8k owns a laptop and never built a PC before and his knowledge is his google brain. He won't read this as I too, am ignored for calling him out.[/QUOTE]

Does it not show when quoted if the user quoted is said on ignore list

Associate
Would a 3600 be better than 3770k at 4.6ghz in games? 1440p?
it depends by what you better - fps for shooters or reducing turn times in say Warhammer 2 mortal empires. Things like reducing turn times where is is much computation then ryzen may be better. It is diificult to know as not many reviewers include turn times in their reviews.

if you are taking about fps then you may not see any difference as the reviews tend to try and get a cpu bottleneck by reviewing at 1080 res using a fast gpu like a GTX2080. If that is not the case with you then you will probably find that you are gpu bottlenecked and that the cpu difference is negilgable.

Associate
Hey guys, quick question for those of you running 3900x/3950x. I've heard they can run quite hot. With my MSI MoBo they did a promotion for a Coolermaster ML240R so I managed to snag one of those ready for when the CPU arrives. Is a mid range cooler like this with a 240 rad good enough? I imagine it is, but while I have time to look in to it while waiting for the CPU, I'd like to be sure haha.

I've never done watercooling but (admittedly for aesthetics) I've been looking in to doing it eventually, but obviously in less of a hurry if this cooler will run OK with the 3950x.

Will mainly be playing games, with the odd Maya/Zbrush/Photoshop/Premiere usage. I'm currently swapping out from an Alienware laptop that I had LOTS of overheating issues with (mainly due to the poor cooling system it had and how hot the M2 in it would get), so would like to run this rig as icy cool as possible.

Thanks!

Caporegime
Hey guys, quick question for those of you running 3900x/3950x. I've heard they can run quite hot. With my MSI MoBo they did a promotion for a Coolermaster ML240R so I managed to snag one of those ready for when the CPU arrives. Is a mid range cooler like this with a 240 rad good enough? I imagine it is, but while I have time to look in to it while waiting for the CPU, I'd like to be sure haha.

I've never done watercooling but (admittedly for aesthetics) I've been looking in to doing it eventually, but obviously in less of a hurry if this cooler will run OK with the 3950x.

Will mainly be playing games, with the odd Maya/Zbrush/Photoshop/Premiere usage. I'm currently swapping out from an Alienware laptop that I had LOTS of overheating issues with (mainly due to the poor cooling system it had and how hot the M2 in it would get), so would like to run this rig as icy cool as possible.

Thanks!

That cooler will be fine, Guru3D measured 70c during WPrime 1024MB runs on a Kraken X62 which is a 240mm AIO.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_9_3950x_review,7.html

In comparison, where the Kraken X62 scores 71c the ML240R scores 75c so while the X62 is better, its not by much.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/cooler_master_masterliquid_ml240r_rgb_review,12.html

Caporegime
AMD's mindshare is growing.
Study finds that 60 percent of enthusiasts are choosing AMD over Intel

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/...of-enthusiasts-are-choosing-amd-over-intel/1/

That's a substantial increase on previous years, where 50 percent preferred AMD in 2018 and a mere 40 percent preferred the firm in 2017.

The EHA believes that this increase is related to the launch of AMD's Ryzen 3000 series, and a general better perception of AMD within the CPU market. CPUs such as the 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X and the 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X are ably demonstrating that AMD know what it's doing within the field right now, and while not everyone will be able to afford such a high-end processor, it makes AMD look highly capable, whatever one's budget.

Associate
Associate
between these CPUS it is safe to say that ryzen 3600 will be faster (or equal in case of other bottlenecks like you mention) in any task. Just from far better IPC and faster memory.
I have two ryzen 3600 and I think that they are great value for money and really fast. However I didn't want to be biased in my reply and the low latency bus arictecture of intel can still give you a few fps more at times. Overall though the 3rd gen Ryzen is far better.

Associate
I have a 3600 in a desktop with a good cooler and ramp the fans up to 100% when it reaches 60ºC to ensure that the max boost and automatic overclocking continues to work.

However I have another 3600 in a SFF build that is not for gaming and I want quiet. is there any temp limits that I should pay attention to? could I let the temp exceed 65ºC so that the fans stay quiet(eg. if I ramp the fans up to only 50% at 65ºC)? and so so how much should I let the temp increase to (before ramping the fan up further)?

Caporegime
I have a 3600 in a desktop with a good cooler and ramp the fans up to 100% when it reaches 60ºC to ensure that the max boost and automatic overclocking continues to work.

However I have another 3600 in a SFF build that is not for gaming and I want quiet. is there any temp limits that I should pay attention to? could I let the temp exceed 65ºC so that the fans stay quiet(eg. if I ramp the fans up to only 50% at 65ºC)? and so so how much should I let the temp increase to (before ramping the fan up further)?

For 24/7 use ~75c - 80c is normal so 65c you're good.

Soldato
Build complete :)

vrh1hf4gco241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom