• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Just been having a look into the Power Plans, as im currently using the Ryzen Balanced, which has my 3700X doing an average 4.20GHz on the desktop, when looking at the Task Manager.

If i change it back to the Recommended Balanced one, it only does average 3.20GHz, and in the Advanced Options, the only difference i can see is, the Minimum Processor State, is on 5% (which i may have changed it too sometime, i can't remember now :p) where as on the Ryzen Balanced Plan, its on 0%.

Ive ran a couple of benchies, to see if while im on the Recommended Balanced Plan, i get any drops in performance or anything, but i don't, everythings the same, apart from the lower clock speed on the desktop, the Recommended Balanced Plan gives.

Ive done a bit of googling on it, and found where someone asked if the Ryzen Power Plans were still needed on Zen 2, and AMD Robert gave this reply, so im wondering now, wether to just use the Recommended Balanced Plan, instead. :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a9q96u/is_the_ryzen_balanced_power_plan_still_relevant/

The Ryzen balanced plan should be used on Zen 2 because it allows the cores to go to sleep to save power, zen 2 cores wake up a lot faster than Zen 1 and Zen+

Associate
The only problem that I see is 1080p only benchmarks with that combination of CPU/GPU. Anyone that can afford a high end CPU and a 2080ti will definitely not be playing on 1080p. I am not against 1080p, but other resolutions would had been appreciated. Also something that would be nice to see is benchmarks running RAM at 3733Mhz. I am sure it will provide a bigger boost compared to decreasing sub timings at 3600Mhz.

Soldato
The only problem that I see is 1080p only benchmarks with that combination of CPU/GPU. Anyone that can afford a high end CPU and a 2080ti will definitely not be playing on 1080p. I am not against 1080p, but other resolutions would had been appreciated. Also something that would be nice to see is benchmarks running RAM at 3733Mhz. I am sure it will provide a bigger boost compared to decreasing sub timings at 3600Mhz.
The benchmarks for these people are useless though, their setup is killing 1440p twitch shooters at low settings gsynced 144 or 244hz. At 4k or higher (oo er) the GPU get's hit more, we haven't got games that load up the CPU horsepower we have available now. Another issue for the uselessness of benchmarks is sync technology. There just isn't much difference between 85fps and 95fps if you take the fps counter off and your running sync, it'll all just look nice and smooth.

Associate
Build complete :)

vrh1hf4gco241.jpg
Nice, I like the blue colour fluid. You are giving me inspiration to have a go at a hard tubing build for the first time. Although I can’t afford a water cooled GPU.

Associate
Ok this seems to be my max cb r20 oc, 4.25 @ 1.30625. it will run at [email protected] but any lower than that performance starts to decrease. However the temps are 5-6° cooler @1.29 so now trying to decide if the .5mhz is worth the heat. Average piece of silicone but still a nice upgrade from the 1700 @3.8 and very happy.
Over the years I have overclocked a few CPUs. However yesterday was the first time I have tried with a Ryzen and using Ryzen master. I am now having difficulty getting a stable system.

I have a 3600 with an aurous pro x570. In Ryzen master I could get to 4.225 at about 1.32v and was ok in Ryzen master stress testing. I was locking all cores and only changing the multiplier and vcore. however when stress testing with prime95 or even upon rebooting it kept crashing or doing the blue screen of death. I then even tried changing the multiplier to 42.25 and vcore to 1.43v in bios manually and could not get a stable system.

using hardware monitor at stock I see the 3600 briefly going to a max of 1.475v to give a max 4.175 - so to me it seems as if for my cpu that it briefly needs these high voltages. Note that when in games or stress testing hwm is typically 1.32v for 100% load.

any advice?

Soldato
Anyone else using an older X370 board? Finally got around to installing my 3900X into my Gigabyte X370 K7 board with the F50a BIOS, but I'm getting random restarts every now and then. Nothing in event viewer, temps looks fine but I can't seem to work out what's causing the issue.

EDIT: After fiddling with all the BIOS settings (reflash, default settings, force disable PBO, gen 3 PCIe, voltages, etc) I can't get the thing to be stable. Stuck back in my 1600X and all is stable again.

Last edited:
Associate
The Ryzen balanced plan should be used on Zen 2 because it allows the cores to go to sleep to save power, zen 2 cores wake up a lot faster than Zen 1 and Zen+
Back Zen 2 released and people complained about Ryzen Balanced not properly optimized, AMD recommended to use Windows Balanced with 80% minimum since it also supports core parking and decent reaction. However to get the best out of Zen 2 Ryzen Balanced is better.

Associate
Must stop posting after drinking wine. But having swapped memory for dark pro, I have to say having been playing bf5 and subnautica below zero all weekend . I have never been so happy with a system in all my life (42) it just sings. 3700x and sapphire vega 56.

Soldato

I agree, but it's a CPU benchmark and it's no fun running at 4k and they all produce basically the same results, maybe an edge for the 3950x in lows. Playing at 1440p/4k with good memory and a 2080ti - the 3950x is as good IF not better than the 9900k. That's why I've swapped my 8700k for a 3950x, the 3950x is a beast and can match now and later better anything from Intel for my configuration.

It will and has been tested by Gamers Nexus.

The sweet spot for memory for Ryzen 3000 (for gaming) is 3800mhz, CL16 and 1900 IF.

Second best is 3733mhz, CL16, 1:1 IF

Last edited:
Associate
Must stop posting after drinking wine. But having swapped memory for dark pro, I have to say having been playing bf5 and subnautica below zero all weekend . I have never been so happy with a system in all my life (42) it just sings. 3700x and sapphire vega 56.
yes, me too, I have dark pro and vega 56 and I am finding a 3600 great with a decent double fan cooler.

Associate
have you tweaked the memory timings of your dark pro with the ryzen dram calculator? I have a it helps a little to make it even more responsive.

Associate
have you tweaked the memory timings of your dark pro with the ryzen dram calculator? I have a it helps a little to make it even more responsive.

No I haven't, I was going to but I use the PC most days for work so I am concerned about stability, the dark pro at 3600Mhz has decent timings though 16, 16, 16 I think. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them though.

Associate
No I haven't, I was going to but I use the PC most days for work so I am concerned about stability, the dark pro at 3600Mhz has decent timings though 16, 16, 16 I think. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them though.
I got the dark pro 3200 cl14 and if you do a search for ryzen dram calculator you will find it and all you do is plug in the basic info on the left column I think and it gives timings that you just type into your bios. (overall though when I benchmarked before and after it didn't make much of a difference overall - although in the passmark test it did for memory obviously)

Associate
I got the dark pro 3200 cl14 and if you do a search for ryzen dram calculator you will find it and all you do is plug in the basic info on the left column I think and it gives timings that you just type into your bios. (overall though when I benchmarked before and after it didn't make much of a difference overall - although in the passmark test it did for memory obviously)

Thanks mate, may well try it over xmas when I have a few weeks off. Honestly though the machine is so rapid. Working on it today writing python, doing some android studio and some visual studio and its a dream. Gaming wise its on another level from what I have had previously, hoping to keep the vega 56 until AMDs next cards as I am not sure the 5700Xt will give me anything.

Soldato
just upgraded to 3900x from 9900k, hope it's worth it - the upgrade cost me nothing after I sold my intel space heater, also picked up a 5700xt. picked up 64gb ram 3200 c16 is it worth overclocking

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

just upgraded to 3900x from 9900k, hope it's worth it - the upgrade cost me nothing after I sold my intel space heater, also picked up a 5700xt. picked up 64gb ram 3200 c16 is it worth overclocking

What is going to be your main use for this?

If its mainly gaming the difference will hardly be there, but if its for any other stuff like editing etc... Difference will be huge

Soldato
What is going to be your main use for this?

If its mainly gaming the difference will hardly be there, but if its for any other stuff like editing etc... Difference will be huge

i don't game much, mainly multitasking, and software development. Most benchmarks unfortuantly only show single applications - i wish they showed real workloads, ie multitasking + gaming, or multitasking + video editing etc.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

i don't game much, mainly multitasking, and software development. Most benchmarks unfortuantly only show single applications - i wish they showed real workloads, ie multitasking + gaming, or multitasking + video editing etc.

Then you will definitely see a big difference here, the extra cores coupled with great IPC you would see a notable difference in multi-threaded workloads!

I do agree though, if there was some sort of benchmark that shows multiple different tasks being run at once, that will be a much more realistic indicator

Back
Top Bottom