• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
After having a few days to play with the 3950X in the new system, have settled for a manual OC per CCX of 44 44 43 43 (1.34 VID), and with the 4266C17 32GB sticks I've ported over from my 9900K build, have dialed in the memory at 1.45v 3666 C14-15-14-36-1T (1:1) (SOC 1.05v) with majority of the secondary and tertiary timings at their minimal spacing.

Three generations in there really isn't a lot of user intervention required, as most of the motherboard vendor rules and mCode are aligned perfectly for most CPU. Intel is starting to make less and less sense for enthusiasts, gamer or not.

dB5OXDb.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks mate, may well try it over xmas when I have a few weeks off. Honestly though the machine is so rapid. Working on it today writing python, doing some android studio and some visual studio and its a dream. Gaming wise its on another level from what I have had previously, hoping to keep the vega 56 until AMDs next cards as I am not sure the 5700Xt will give me anything.
I don’t think that you will notice much difference between your vega56 and a Radeon 5700xt apartfrom you losing much money.

Soldato
Associate
Sorry what? There is like a 20-30% uplift between those two.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/review/1870-amd-radeon-rx-5700/

Edit: I would say not to upgrade now and wait till next round of GPUs anyways but to say there no difference is just not true.

Yeah not worth it currently as I game at 1440p anyhow and I am not one to mind turning down a setting or two, will wait for PS5 (living room gaming) and see what cards come next year or the year after. My point really is just how good the system is as a whole, I have always owned intel systems with top to mid range gpus in the past but nothing has been close to how balanced and quick my current build is for everything I need it for.

EDIT - I don't doubt that an equivalent intel system would feel the same, its simply that I have done it for a much lower price point with an upgrade path and none of the associated security risks which would compromise my system (no matter how small) as it is used for many software development projects.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got around to draining the loop to fit the 3600x, gone from a 1700. Idle temps are higher on the 3600x but it's hitting 4400mhz and staying there whilst gaming so happy there, got to let the loop bleed out and see if it makes much difference.

Caporegime
Finally got around to draining the loop to fit the 3600x, gone from a 1700. Idle temps are higher on the 3600x but it's hitting 4400mhz and staying there whilst gaming so happy there, got to let the loop bleed out and see if it makes much difference.
I noticed this too going from a 1600 to a 3600, physical temps seem a little higher and those temps certainly react to load bursts much more than the 1600 did, however the actual heat it kicks out is significantly lower than the 1600 was, the rad never gets much above room temperature.

During gaming the temps fluctuate quite sharply between 45c and 55c, high stress load i have never seen it hit 70c, the 3600 is defiantly more power efficient but the heat is more densely consecrated which is why it appears to get hotter.

Man of Honour
Posted this in the 3900X thread, but it's more of a Zen 2 question as opposed to 3900X specfic, so will post it here too:

Enabled virtualisation on my 3900X while I play around with Docker and teach myself Zalenium. No noticeable difference in performance around day to day use but I do get a 10-15% drop in Cinebench score. Is that expected? I would have though it would make no difference at all, either positive or negative as it's not used unless you're using a VM but does it do something within Windows and core utilisation that might affect a benchmark?

Associate
Posted this in the 3900X thread, but it's more of a Zen 2 question as opposed to 3900X specfic, so will post it here too:

Enabled virtualisation on my 3900X while I play around with Docker and teach myself Zalenium. No noticeable difference in performance around day to day use but I do get a 10-15% drop in Cinebench score. Is that expected? I would have though it would make no difference at all, either positive or negative as it's not used unless you're using a VM but does it do something within Windows and core utilisation that might affect a benchmark?

A quick google found this which seems to imply it does regardless of some of the comments

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1315634-does-virtualization-technology-slow-down-a-machine/

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Three generations in there really isn't a lot of user intervention required, as most of the motherboard vendor rules and mCode are aligned perfectly for most CPU. Intel is starting to make less and less sense for enthusiasts, gamer or not.

Yep, value is with AMD like it or not. They are not perfect but looking around, who is? :)

Associate
Totally agree, coming from mainly all Intel systems in the past, when it came to upgrading they weren't even a consideration and that was before the 3000 series came out. 2700x was a brilliant CPU and this 3900x is the first time I've thought "wow, holly c**p" since I went from a Cyrix 200mhz to an Intel 266mhz P2! (iirc).

Soldato
Still waiting for the 1004 Agesa on my x370. :o

A lot of the older Asus boards haven't seen the new BIOS yet. There's a beta out there but no final.

One of the reasons that I bought the GB Aurous x370 gaming 5, now on bios 1004B, was crappy support from Asus, and I was an Asus only supplier for 10 years. I haven't bought an Asus board for any of my builds for over 3 years now, they are not the Asus of old.

Back
Top Bottom