• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
I get that, but I doubt it maintained the 4.7GHz for the entire run; Gamers Nexus specifically tested this after the power draw saga after its release, and they found that it dropped to 4.2GHz after 24 seconds.
The Stilt, a highly respected tech guy on Anandtech, had previously referred to a 28s ACT limit, hence why I quoted 24-28s myself.
How long was the CB run?

It was there for all to see, it maintained the same speed all the way through the run, and its not going to run for longer than the Intel one and score higher is it?

The Ryzen system finished fractional before the Intel one.

Caporegime
The die shot and power consumption figures suggest that a 16core version for desktop as per the original leaks is definitely on the cards. Core for core, same performance as the 9900K, just twice as many.

Indeed. If it turns out that half of AMDs top mainstream CPU beats a stock 9900k, and as ES at that, AMD will be sitting pretty.

Associate
Who cares? if they haven't beaten Intel on IPC the thing is running at at least 5Ghz, its an 8 core 16 thread chip that beat the 8 core 16 thread 9900K.

what is more likely, higher IPC or higher clock speed, and what would it matter? ITS FASTER ITS BETTER.
Actually the theory's being posited by those at CES are that the AMD CPU was running 4.2-4.6GHz. Which would put it below the 4.7GHz of the 9900K.

Caporegime
In Cinebench...what about games ?

Threadripper destroys my 9900k

In games....oh wait...

2yyp6j6.gif

Watching the Keynote felt like AMD were advertising other companies for free lol.
Apple got a mention. Microsoft got on stage. Ubisoft got on stage. Google got a mention.
Certainly got better as it went on though, apart from my stream dying immediately before Ryzen got a mention lol.

Caporegime
Ok so If that zen chip is running 5ghz it’s a success is it even if the 9900k is running 4.7ghz?

Hmmmm

Explain...

Because this chip is half what fits on AMDs mainstream CPU. So their midrange CPU running at whatever speed, beats Intels highest end CPU.

Yes it's Cinebench, yes it's an ES, yes we don't know the clock speeds but this is a good time for CPU buyers.

Soldato
Hmm, short enough to be 4.7GHz the entire run.

Yes, the you can do between 2-3 runs in succession before the power limit kicks in hard. So it's pulling ~119w to achieve 4.7GHz that puts the AMD part miles ahead in PPW terms, and is huge for the segment that I work in as low power 8+ core CPU's can be seriously considered possible in the next 12 months.

Caporegime
Yes, the you can do between 2-3 runs in succession before the power limit kicks in hard. So it's pulling ~119w to achieve 4.7GHz that puts the AMD part miles ahead in PPW terms, and is huge for the segment that I work in as low power 8+ core CPU's can be seriously considered possible in the next 12 months.

You can get a 65W 2700 now, that's impressive as it stands anyway.

Caporegime
Because this chip is half what fits on AMDs mainstream CPU. So their midrange CPU running at whatever speed, beats Intels highest end CPU.

Yes it's Cinebench, yes it's an ES, yes we don't know the clock speeds but this is a good time for CPU buyers.

So in June I can get a 16 core 32 thread Ryzen that’s double the speed of my 9900k in rendering and games for less money ?

Back
Top Bottom