• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I think moving forwards, game engines (from the ground up) won't be written for "8 cores" or "12 cores". They will simply be coded for "many" cores. And will scale, using as many cores as available. Which would lead to a massive boom in core counts for the desktop.
Pretty much. It would be rather silly to code for specific core counts these days. Especially when PC's in peoples homes can be anything from dual core to 32 core...

The R7 1700 will still run most games pretty well when combined with an appropriate GPU, especially if we consider it relative to the typical Steam Surveys that get posted. If we're talking about low-end, it is only really nearing that in terms of pricing; performance-wise it certainly isn't low-end.
Edit: it's useful lifespan will also far exceed even the best and latest quads.

Soldato
OK we need to talk about the elephant in the room...

Assuming leaks are more or less corerect:

Do you buy the "5Ghz" 12/24 when Ryzen 3000 launch.
Or do you wait for the "5Ghz" 16/32 ?

do we have any clue when that one might release? Because I am kinda tempted to wait.

Soldato
True but remember that whilst the R7 1700 is fantastic value for people who need the cores, an i9-9900K is clocked around 50% higher (all core boost). The R7 1700 can be overclocked of course to maybe halve that gap.

Yep. there is a difference, but considering you can build an entire PC with the R7 1700, 16GB RAM, a 500GB NVMe SSD, an a decent GPU etc. for ~£500 that difference start to make it look like pee poor value unless you *need* the Intel. Also as others have said, you literally can type 37x or 38x in the multiplier in the BIOS and not even touch anything else and you have an all-core boost of 3800MHz, with almost no effort, so you've narrowed the gap spent nothing extra. :)

If you compare it against the CPU at around the same cost then the 9400F seems to be excellent value, but then if you are buying on a budget you end up with less for your money not more.

Associate
OK we need to talk about the elephant in the room...

Assuming leaks are more or less corerect:

Do you buy the "5Ghz" 12/24 when Ryzen 3000 launch.
Or do you wait for the "5Ghz" 16/32 ?

do we have any clue when that one might release? Because I am kinda tempted to wait.
I believe there were rumblings of it being later than October for the 3850X but that's assuming a hell of a lot and needs more than a little bit of salt for the information. I have a feeling EK, Alphacool and co are rubbing their hands at the thought of 5GHz all core overclocked Ryzen 3xxx's...

Soldato
I believe there were rumblings of it being later than October for the 3850X but that's assuming a hell of a lot and needs more than a little bit of salt for the information. I have a feeling EK, Alphacool and co are rubbing their hands at the thought of 5GHz all core overclocked Ryzen 3xxx's...
I've got a Kraken X62, heres hoping it can handle an overclocked 12 or 16 core Zen 2 part! (Also I think I might need a new PSU).

Associate
I've got a Kraken X62, heres hoping it can handle an overclocked 12 or 16 core Zen 2 part! (Also I think I might need a new PSU).
Yeah should be ok, but these days I tend to deal with people buying more high end gear. Personally I'd just go for the Alphacool Eisbaer 280 Extreme. It's got proper copper water cooling components and a proper DDC pump, none of that Asetek nonsense.

Soldato
Yeah should be ok, but these days I tend to deal with people buying more high end gear. Personally I'd just go for the Alphacool Eisbaer 280 Extreme. It's got proper copper water cooling components and a proper DDC pump, none of that Asetek nonsense.
I'm not buying anything I'm just mentioning what I have.
Bit weird to just take what someone has said they own and say "Well this is better than what you have". Lol

Back
Top Bottom