• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
If the 3800x is level with a 9900k in games using just xfr I'd still say that's a success and will sell well given it will be cheaper, run cooler, have pcie4 compatibility and a possible upgrade path to a refresh. Even if the 3800x is only fractionally cheaper taking the board into account, it's hard to justify the 9900k now. Then again, it's been out a while so is that really a surprise.
This is where motherboard prices will be really important.

For people planning a total system upgrade, Intel wouldn't have to drop the price of the 9900k by an awful lot to turn my head, as the motherboards are (presumably) cheaper than the X570s will be on release.

For example if I'm left with a £480 9900k vs. a £400 3800X but can get a top spec 9900k motherboard for £100 less than equivalent X570 (given I have no use for PCIE4), I'd have to think twice about Zen2.

Obviously that doesn't account for upgrade paths.

Soldato
If the 3800x is level with a 9900k in games using just xfr I'd still say that's a success and will sell well given it will be cheaper, run cooler, have pcie4 compatibility and a possible upgrade path to a refresh. Even if the 3800x is only fractionally cheaper taking the board into account, it's hard to justify the 9900k now. Then again, it's been out a while so is that really a surprise.
Alas, Intel looks to be releasing a 10 core, faster still part just around the corner. So again AMD will be in the "so near yet so far" category. Trust me I want AMD to beat Intel. But it just always seems to be just out of their grasp. (in gaming).

Soldato
This is where motherboard prices will be really important.

For people planning a total system upgrade, Intel wouldn't have to drop the price of the 9900k by an awful lot to turn my head, as the motherboards are (presumably) cheaper than the X570s will be on release.

For example if I'm left with a £480 9900k vs. a £400 3800X but can get a top spec 9900k motherboard for £100 less than equivalent X570 (given I have no use for PCIE4), I'd have to think twice about Zen2.

Obviously that doesn't account for upgrade paths.

There is definitely extra cost there.

Looking at the gigabyte extreme - the X570 board looks like it will be $100/100 pounds more expensive than the Z390 price

Caporegime
A snip at £650 :p (for the record I made that price up and have no idea what it will cost).

Might hit the mid range this time around. 3600 with a non-enthusiast chipset.

Hopefully these are overclocking beasts.

Last edited:
Soldato
The one niggling thing in all of this launch is the pricing... Not only AMD's CPU pricing but the motherboard manufacturers i suspect will overprice their motherboards, while discontinuing their previous gen Ryzen series boards X470/B450 etc which basically means your forced to pay more. You can see this with MSI already hiding behind the excuse of not wanting to support previous gens with the new chips via BIOS updates due to concerns over stability and or the probability of killing your rig, by flat out refusing to release BIOS they are forcing you to buy their new motherboards if you want Zen 2.

AMD have released at previous price points, so in effect they are staying true to themselves, however i can see the motherboard manufacturers actually doing AMD more harm than good if they price their products excessively higher than their Intel counterparts. Its obvious that they have faith in AMD's Zen2 judging by the sheer volume of motherboard options were are getting, does Asus alone have 30 models? that speaks volumes about the confidence they have in the platform, compared to Zen and Zen+.

I still think we will see price reductions from AMD after the initial day one buyers have settled down, and if you really want to save some cash, Black friday is a good time if your prepared to wait it out.

Im on a 1700 and im tempted to buy the 3800x day one, pending reviews, and swap out my CH6 for something else, but part of me is saying wait a few months to see everything settle and just buy something then, probably around Black Friday, may get some good deals on Zen2, X570 and Navi, and have a good idea of how they all play together by then as well.

Caporegime
...part of me is saying wait a few months to see everything settle and just buy something then, probably around Black Friday, may get some good deals on Zen2, X570 and Navi, and have a good idea of how they all play together by then as well.

That's probably wise but I'm just not sure we'll see massive discounting on these come Black Friday etc. The products will still be very new and I'm wondering if AMD will take a more 'performance leader approach' to any reductions.

I'm in a bit of a mire with this one and a big part of me is saying - balls to it, suck up the outlay and invest in good kit that will last five years (3900X + X570 + 32GB RAM).

Soldato
All these exotic motherboards look very nice but I am not paying more than the current Taichis cost. When you have really solid boards at under £100 like the MSI B450 Tomahawk, paying over £350 for a board just seems insane.

Back
Top Bottom