• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I only use PC for gaming really, am I going to need any more than 8/16?
Best to wait for reviews to see how 8 core and 12 core do against each others.
Next-gen consoles are going to bring major increase to CPU usage of multiplatter games and if you like having browser etc open on background extra cores are never bad thing.
(current consoles may have 8 cores, but those are pocket calculator performance level cores)

Caporegime
MSI already hiding behind the excuse of not wanting to support previous gens with the new chips via BIOS updates due to concerns over stability and or the probability of killing your rig, by flat out refusing to release BIOS they are forcing you to buy their new motherboards if you want Zen 2.

Link? I new BETA bios just hit fot my B450 Pro Carbon....

Gonna be funny if AMD reveal at E3 that their CPUs do boost to 5GHz under XFR, with the listed boosts being all core boosts. I don't see it happening but you never know.
I'm not convinced that Adoredtv is that wrong; the SKUs anjounced by AMD were all on that very early leak, with only naming at pricing being off...which is easily explained by a later review into their branding policy. Of course, we've not see any of the 5GHz SKUs yet, so there is that...

Soldato
Urmm no the comparison with the 9900K was with the 3800X which is £399, it's quite possible that a 3800X and X570 motherboard will cost the same as a 9900K with a similar spec Z390 board give or take a round of beers.

Indeed but if you check out the performance levels of the 3700X it is within 1% at single core and 7% in multithread. It is shown there. The only reason the 3800X shows otherwise is the clock speed, nothing else. If you can get your 3700X to gain the 100Mhz in boost then your all good to have the same performance.

So I would say within reason the 3700X really is something that could possibly give within reason very similar performance to the 9900k.

Soldato
That's probably wise but I'm just not sure we'll see massive discounting on these come Black Friday etc. The products will still be very new and I'm wondering if AMD will take a more 'performance leader approach' to any reductions.

I'm in a bit of a mire with this one and a big part of me is saying - balls to it, suck up the outlay and invest in good kit that will last five years (3900X + X570 + 32GB RAM).

As i said in another post in this thread, i do intend to get a 3900x on release and then swap it out when the 16/32 parts release.
I am in a very undecided about a mobo though. Asus already has a bios for Zen2 to flash my CH6, so initially i will keep the CH6 and see how well the 3900x clocks and how well the bios clocks my B-Die. When i bought the CH6 on the 5/5/2017 it was the best AM4 mobo and cost £207.49 from our hosts. Inflation has hardly moved that much since then, so i can't see why a top Asus X570 now should be the sort of figures being bandied about. One thing is for shure though, if the CH6 clocks as well or near to a CH8 and the CH8 is £300/£500 then i will be sticking with my CH6.

Soldato
That's probably wise but I'm just not sure we'll see massive discounting on these come Black Friday etc. The products will still be very new and I'm wondering if AMD will take a more 'performance leader approach' to any reductions.

I'm in a bit of a mire with this one and a big part of me is saying - balls to it, suck up the outlay and invest in good kit that will last five years (3900X + X570 + 32GB RAM).

I guess it all comes down to what you have now and what your needs are :) im happy with my current setup, im only really playing Division 2, Grim Dawn and Everquest, and they all work fine on my current setup. However i do like new shineys, and i was waiting for Zen2 to replace my current mobo and CPU, so pending reviews on the 3800x / 3900x i will decide once reviews are out if i want to jump in right now, or wait for the prices to lower. If its obvious that the 3800x is the goto chip for gaming and theres plenty of room in the tank for OC'ing then i'll just day 1 purchase, if it turns out the chips at its limit out of the box i'll probably wait for prices to come down some.

Bit factor will also be motherboard choices and prices, im drawn towards the Taichi or CH8 but that will be expensive, and after buying my kids the MSI b450 Carbon Gaming Pro im tempted to wait out the B550 motherboards as well to see what is on offer there, as i am really impressed by their motherboard.

Soldato
I'm in USA until July 5th! Wonder if I could pick one up in a store early for cheap!
I buy all my silicone from America now, either in person or just get it shipped here. It works out cheaper by far. I'm sick of the gouging UK retailers. They won't get anymore of my money until they stop taking the proverbial with their pricing.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
seems everyone is ignoring that AMD WILL BE SHOWING AT E3!!!!!! 2 weeks guys calm down and we should see gaming demos that are a little less dubious then and maybe that 16 core beastie will be shown.

im just sitting waiting on asus to release its list of what x370's support what cpu, and then come christmas a nice quick simple upgrade for me, i wonder 3900x for 350 notes maybe :p

Soldato
seems everyone is ignoring that AMD WILL BE SHOWING AT E3!!!!!! 2 weeks guys calm down and we should see gaming demos that are a little less dubious then and maybe that 16 core beastie will be shown.

im just sitting waiting on asus to release its list of what x370's support what cpu, and then come christmas a nice quick simple upgrade for me, i wonder 3900x for 350 notes maybe :p
Waiting patiently for everyone excited about the 12 and 16 core to loose their minds as they are shown as poor gaming chips. again. Lisa clearly stressed the 3800x is the gaming chip.

Caporegime
Waiting patiently for everyone excited about the 12 and 16 core to loose their minds as they a poor gaming chips. again. Lisa clearly stressed the 3800x in the gaming chip.
Didn't she say it was the value / mass market gaming chip to have, or something akin to that, rather than the outright best?

The 3900X boosts higher so gaming performance seems from the info we have that it would be better, but not on a £ / performance basis.

Soldato
Didn't she say it was the value / mass market gaming chip to have, or something akin to that, rather than the outright best?

The 3900X boosts higher so gaming performance seems from the info we have that it would be better, but not on a £ / performance basis.
Nope, she made clear that the 3800x was "thee" gaming chip of the lineup.
Then then tested the 3900x against a HEDT system. NOT in gaming like the 3800x.

Im telling you. people are going to be dissapointed if they think these 12 and 16 core chips will beat the 8 core in gaming. She couldn't have been clearer. I'm assuming it's inter chiplet latency.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Waiting patiently for everyone excited about the 12 and 16 core to loose their minds as they are shown as poor gaming chips. again. Lisa clearly stressed the 3800x is the gaming chip.

poorer gaming chips than the 3800x sure, but poor overall not really BUT im expecting a streaming demo or 3 at e3 with them doing some 1440p or even 4k streaming encoding.

Caporegime
If the 3800X is THE gaming chip yet the 3900X boosts higher (and has twice the cache), there must surely be more to that than meets the eye, whether that be XFR / manual overclocking performance or whatever.

So current speculative spec list:

3800X (if best gamer)
Mid-range X570 board
32GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Whatever the best available Navi is at launch

Back
Top Bottom