• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
:cool:

2jakowi.jpg
Ohh what desk is that?

Soldato
Nope, I played wow for about 6 weeks when it was released in 2004 and never really touched it again.
The amount of additional software running when my other half is raiding is insane. There's always some kind of voice app for the guild as well as Firefox for some info on the particular raid. She also runs a few WoW add-ons as well. So although her attention may be locked exclusively on the game, her system is running more than just said game. And it's the same with all MMOs. Us FPS players have no need for other things running alongside the game, but MMO players do and that's where you'll get the benefit from having as many cores as possible.

Hell, if in some mythic future the latest MMO maxes 8 cores, you're gonna need at least another 2 just to run the voice apps and add-ons!

Associate
It's only 3.61 roentgen. :p

Also at the time I was building a hella big custom water cooled system( project 0001 here on the forums ), and was always tinkering. That was in 2009.

I still have that case, and system inside of it! Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB RAM, 6600GT ( replaced the 4800Ti it had ). It's still alive and kicking as well.

Just done some googling to avoid work, it wasn't that case but the one before, Thermaltake Xaser II - Complete with window and blue cold cathodes. Athlon XP 2500+ and a Radeon 9800 pro. The joys of disposable income when living at home!

Soldato
The amount of additional software running when my other half is raiding is insane. There's always some kind of voice app for the guild as well as Firefox for some info on the particular raid. She also runs a few WoW add-ons as well. So although her attention may be locked exclusively on the game, her system is running more than just said game. And it's the same with all MMOs. Us FPS players have no need for other things running alongside the game, but MMO players do and that's where you'll get the benefit from having as many cores as possible.

Hell, if in some mythic future the latest MMO maxes 8 cores, you're gonna need at least another 2 just to run the voice apps and add-ons!

wow got a masisve boost with dx12, i7 4 cores were like a new PC all together lol. and then theres Eve Online..... multiple clients ....

Soldato
Just done some googling to avoid work, it wasn't that case but the one before, Thermaltake Xaser II - Complete with window and blue cold cathodes. Athlon XP 2500+ and a Radeon 9800 pro. The joys of disposable income when living at home!

I had the blue cathodes myself, but never used them.

Sadly my 2500+ got fried when I tried my first ever overclocking. Took the motherboard back for a replacement, and they accidentally gave me a brand new AMD Socket 754 motherboard.

Didn't notice until I got home, and decided..."Well, might as well get on these brand new Athlon 64 processors so".

Soldato
Starting to wonder if a 12C part is way overkill for me. Starting to consider an 8C and change to 12 a few years down the line once prices ease right back or just go whole hog now and upgrade again in 5+ years.

Associate
Like many of you I have no real use for 12C. But 4C8T is not enough anymore, and I am looking for best possible single-thread performance. Strong feeling that by virtue of being 3 core per CCX (more L3 cache per core) and better binned thatn 6C models, the 3900X will be the kind of sweet spot.

Caporegime
Get outta here with that crazy sci-fi level computer usage! Everyone knows the only true gamer has a system like this still!

Dual core at most, single monitor, and at Most runs Ventrilo while gaming.

wSe6BmU.jpg

I'm very excited to see how the 3900X 12 core manages. Should be a fantastic upgrade over my 6 core.

Even now it has issues in games as old as GTA V. Been playing that recently, and maxed out ( MSAA x 4 for all incl reflections ) graphics, and advanced settings turned on, I get 45-57% GPU usage.
I remember reading that even back when it launched the game liked more Cores.

With consoles going AMD Zen2, and likely 8 core + HT; and Microsoft allowing their Game pass to bring console exclusives to PC; won't be long before 8 core seems the norm for decent performance.

Good Grief how nostalgic is that? in fact i had that very Microsoft Keyboard in the early 2000's

What a blast from the past that thing is. thanks for the memories :)

Man of Honour
Nah, it was a fleabay job after lots of running around with a scammer. I don't even think I had MM access when I bought it :p

Time to do a quick search then :) still an awesome cpu for it's time imo. Upgraded to it from a q6600 for more cores on the virtual lab. Went from that to a 16c/32t 1950x... massive upgrade that was. Edit... sold it in 2017 to @pandem0nium

Back
Top Bottom