• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Yes, but you said Zen and Zen+ were built on low power mobile nodes, Zen was but with Zen+ they modified that low power mobile node so it wasn't a low power mobile node anymore.

There not the same thing in the same way as converting a 2 bedroom house into a 4 bedroom house is not the same thing, it's still a house but by adding two bedrooms you've made pretty substantial changes.

You're splitting 'Straws' 12nm is an enhancement on the original 14nm, they are the same thing refined, shrunk, Boosts of 4Ghz vs 4.35Ghz and all core overclocks still requires 1.3v and 1.4v+ respectively, its just a 10% improvement on the original, exactly as they describe it.

Last edited:
Soldato
r7-1700-vs-2700x-volt-frequency-1.png

Soldato
You're splitting 'Straws' 12nm is an enhancement on the original 14nm, they are the same thing refined, shrunk, Boosts of 4Ghz vs 4.35Ghz and all core overclocks still requires 1.3v and 1.4v+ respectively, its just a 10% improvement on the original, exactly as they describe it.

Well that's just daft, it's like saying 14nm is the same thing as 32nm as they're the same thing refined, they're not because they're fundamentally different, 14nm uses 9 tracks whereas 12nm uses 7.5, 14nm cells height is 576nm whereas 12nm is only 480nm, the contact areas are different, the height of the contact barrier is different, and the fins are thinner and taller, it's not as you originally stated built on low power mobile node.

Soldato

I'd go with humbug on this. It's not 4 bedrooms. It's a small box room/attic conversion at best using your analogy Murphy vs a completely redesigned 4/5 bed in a nicer part of town.

The lithography sets what track and pad sizes can be used which are as important to chip design as foundation is to a house.

7nm tsmc is using materials twice as good in the foundation and putting a vastly better designed house on top rather than just adding a bit to what's already there.

It's NOT just a shrink. It's a fundamentally different lithograph process. Edit: and ok. 12nm wasn't just a shrink either but it still has the same base

A better analogy would be 12nm is solar power with improved photovoltaic cells. It's neat, it's power efficient and it's had a first pass at improvements to improve its performance.

7nm is...More like nuclear or, to not sound hyperbolic, gas or oil. It's meant to go faster without the "greener" thought process behind it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I knew i shouldn't have used an analogy. :)

Also the size of the lithography has largely been meaningless marketing rubbish for almost a decade, since everyone moved over to FinFet's.

Soldato
I knew i shouldn't have used an analogy. :)

Also the size of the lithography has largely been meaningless marketing rubbish for almost a decade, since everyone moved over to FinFet's.

Lol, fair.

Apologies for picking on your analogy but the difference genuinely is that glofo's 14 and 12 had the same origin. It's still a modified, power efficient process.
7nm tsmc seems to have been build to a rather different philosophy.

We're all rather at a point of semantics. ("what amount of difference signifies a legitimately different litho process?").

Soldato
Lol, fair.

Apologies for picking on your analogy but the difference genuinely is that glofo's 14 and 12 had the same origin. It's still a modified, power efficient process.
7nm tsmc seems to have been build to a rather different philosophy.

We're all rather at a point of semantics. ("what amount of difference signifies a legitimately different litho process?").

On that i agree, both the 14nm Zen and 12nm Zen+ are refinements on the original Samsung 14nm, what i was taking issue with was saying, or at least imply, that 12nm Zen+ was a refinement of the 14nm Zen.

I know analogies are flawed but it's like saying 12nm Zen+ is the grandson of Samsung 14nm when it should really be another son, they're both off shoots of the original design rather than Zen+ being an off shoot of Zen, if that makes sense.

It's just IMO it does Zen+ a disservice to call it a refined mobile design.

Soldato
You should post semantics in American English as opposed to...English.
American English is always right.

I wonder where American English came from? ;) Probably something to do with the "Thirteen British Colonies". Trouble with lending things out, they often don't get returned in the same state they were in when they were lent out lol

Caporegime
On that i agree, both the 14nm Zen and 12nm Zen+ are refinements on the original Samsung 14nm, what i was taking issue with was saying, or at least imply, that 12nm Zen+ was a refinement of the 14nm Zen.

I know analogies are flawed but it's like saying 12nm Zen+ is the grandson of Samsung 14nm when it should really be another son.

That was not my point, however it is, Zen+ is a microcode tweak on Zen to improve the inter-core latency improving IPC by about 4%.

The node it is built on is an enhancement of the same 14nm.

Soldato
That is unless theres another way around this I don't know about.

Don't use windows :p

Mine was a free upgrade from Windows 7, that was originally a Retail key, i don't even have the key anymore, not for a couple of years, never needed it on Windows 10, as long as i installed the hardware before reinstalling windows its always automatically activated, its been about 4 different systems now.

The amount of times you reinstall I doubt it even bothers to check any more. :D
I wonder where American English came from? ;) Probably something to do with the "Thirteen British Colonies". Trouble with lending things out, they often don't get returned in the same state they were in when they were lent out lol

That's an understatement!

Soldato
That was not my point, however it is, Zen+ is a microcode tweak on Zen to improve the inter-core latency improving IPC by about 4%.

The node it is built on is an enhancement of the same 14nm.

There's not enough No's in the world for that, Zen+ is not a microcode tweak on Zen, the engineering is fundamentally different, i assume you've read the articles i posted so you know full well they're different so i can only assume you're being obstinate for no reason so maybe it's best if we agree to disagree.

Caporegime
There's not enough No's in the world for that, Zen+ is not a microcode tweak on Zen, the engineering is fundamentally different, i assume you've read the articles i posted so you know full well they're different so i can only assume you're being obstinate for no reason so maybe it's best if we agree to disagree.

I did and the only disagreement it has with me is stating a 3% IPC gain as opposed to my 4%.

If you see something in it that does disagree with me please point me to it, and don't try and data bomb, if you know what you're talking about you can point right at it.

Soldato
That was true for Zen but not Zen+, the former was manufactured on Global Foundries' 14 nm process Low Power Plus (14LPP) while the latter was manufactured on Global Foundries' 12 nm process Leading-Performance (12LP), an enhanced version of their 14nm process.
That was GloFo's marketing naming for "We still don't have proper high performance node, but pretend otherwise".
Better name would have been 14nm+.
Intel has had similar clock speed bumbs for their 14nm.

14nm uses 9 tracks whereas 12nm uses 7.5, 14nm cells height is 576nm whereas 12nm is only 480nm, the contact areas are different, the height of the contact barrier is different, and the fins are thinner and taller, it's not as you originally stated built on low power mobile node.
I've read from few clearly knowleable (about CPU design and manufacturing) people that AMD didn't even use much of those/changes are really minor to not need much of chip redesign.
There's lots of R&D cost in making real physical changes to chip and retesting everything etc.
Something AMD really couldn't afford to waste resources, with lot bigger goal of 7nm and maturing Zen architecture in Zen2 in mind.
(+ Intel's 10nm plans to catch up)

Back
Top Bottom