• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Gee

Gee

Soldato
jns90zhx3o731.png

Caporegime
Make your own reviews.... I don't get this review culture..... All reviews are inherently biased....and not in your system for your uses....

Honestly, and seriously, what exactly is your problem around this. Go run a series of benchmarks at stock settings on a bunch of games and cpus, are your numbers wildly different to reviews out there? No, then serious get a grip with this "no one can review it but you" nonsense because it's insane. You work in a store where you have access to and test kit, for all intents and purposes everyone else here has to spend this stuff called money to get these products and the only way to review them, as you suggest, is buying every single cpu from both companies on the market, test them and then return them all except the one you want?

That's not how the world works, it's insane to push that idea. Reviews are mostly pretty close to each other and outliers can be spotted a mile away. One reviewer might be an Intel shill and use the wrong memory settings to reduce performance, even then it's probably going to lose 2-3% performance, not 50%. If you think reviews can't give you an exceptionally good idea of the performance of what you're buying, then how do you expect to sell products to your customers and how do you think you don't have 95% of products returned for failing to live up to expectations.

It is extremely easy to read a few reviews from different sources and know what performance a product has, implying this isn't possible is just being dishonest. If 5 reviews all show lets say a 3800x beating a 9700x in Cinebench, you think that result will change if we buy and test it for ourselves, you think somehow the scores will be 10% higher or 25% lower and we got tricked into buying the wrong CPU? I honestly have no idea what planet you're living on if you think all OCUK customers should just randomly pick parts and test for themselves as reviews are apparently not any good.

A 3800X will perform the same in the Anandtech system, as the techpowerup system, as my system. if I want a 3800x for working with Maya, I'll check a few reviews that use Maya, if I want it for gaming, I'll check several reviews that have gaming results and if I mostly play RTS or FPS I'll compare the performance in those games. That's how 99% of the world makes decisions on buying products.

The whole point of "review culture" is that, a few people get all the stuff and compare them so that every single user doesn't have to. Because a few hundred people doing that around the world means millions of people don't have to test every single chip themselves.

It's worth pointing out that you seem to post a lot of negativity around any AMD product being launched and don't post that with Nvidia/Intel product launches.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Honestly, and seriously, what exactly is your problem around this. Go run a series of benchmarks at stock settings on a bunch of games and cpus, are your numbers wildly different to reviews out there? No, then serious get a grip with this "no one can review it but you" nonsense because it's insane. You work in a store where you have access to and test kit, for all intents and purposes everyone else here has to spend this stuff called money to get these products and the only way to review them, as you suggest, is buying every single cpu from both companies on the market, test them and then return them all except the one you want?

That's not how the world works, it's insane to push that idea. Reviews are mostly pretty close to each other and outliers can be spotted a mile away. One reviewer might be an Intel shill and use the wrong memory settings to reduce performance, even then it's probably going to lose 2-3% performance, not 50%. If you think reviews can't give you an exceptionally good idea of the performance of what you're buying, then how do you expect to sell products to your customers and how do you think you don't have 95% of products returned for failing to live up to expectations.

It is extremely easy to read a few reviews from different sources and know what performance a product has, implying this isn't possible is just being dishonest. If 5 reviews all show lets say a 3800x beating a 9700x in Cinebench, you think that result will change if we buy and test it for ourselves, you think somehow the scores will be 10% higher or 25% lower and we got tricked into buying the wrong CPU? I honestly have no idea what planet you're living on if you think all OCUK customers should just randomly pick parts and test for themselves as reviews are apparently not any good.

A 3800X will perform the same in the Anandtech system, as the techpowerup system, as my system. if I want a 3800x for working with Maya, I'll check a few reviews that use Maya, if I want it for gaming, I'll check several reviews that have gaming results and if I mostly play RTS or FPS I'll compare the performance in those games. That's how 99% of the world makes decisions on buying products.

The whole point of "review culture" is that, a few people get all the stuff and compare them so that every single user doesn't have to. Because a few hundred people doing that around the world means millions of people don't have to test every single chip themselves.

It's worth pointing out that you seem to post a lot of negativity around any AMD product being launched and don't post that with Nvidia/Intel product launches.

Just ignore him, it's what I do. Unfortunately you can't seem to actually put OcUK staff on ignore properly, but I just let his comments pass right by.

Soldato
it's probably becuase most of the 'halo' products branded with 8Pack are intel systems and quite a few cost a small fortune. assuming the review leaks are close to correct amd are just about to put a huge dent in the 'premium' these currently command and indeed in some instances render them obsolete. it could be a bit of 'shilling' but equally and more likely means a lot of work revamping those product lines to include amd equivalents. that's gonna bite into the gym time :p

Gee

Gee

Soldato
thanks Gee, looks like i am covered with both boards i have.

happy days - if that list is correct then it looks like my x370 Gaming 5 will be fine right up to the 3900x. lets me ride it out until the inevitable board price drops - i really want to switch to mATX but ain't paying an early adopter tax to be a guinea pig!

I think there's another revision incoming with a few tiny changes; mainly on the names etc. but it's pretty accurate. Glad I went with a C6H from the get-go.

• Every current draw bracket has some CPUs at the top of the column to indicate what CPU under what scenario fits there, so for example the 150A category is appropriate for highly OC'd 3900X's.

• These current draw figures are for very high current draw scenarios, like with P95 AVX or IBT running. The [OC] tag represents a very aggressive ambient OC, like 4.2GHz at 1.38V for a 2700X. The [Stock] placements I'm a bit more uncertain about, particularly with the 3950X, that could be closer to somewhere in between 150A and 100A.

• For phase count, something like 6 + 6 indicates a 6 phase design using doublers, and also there's no differentiation for "big" phases, which have more components per phase. Instead the mosfet count per phase is just increased.

• If the rating is "not recommended" that doesn't mean it won't work, I just don't think it'd work very well, or if you had less stringent requirements, then you might be able to get it to work. Like some of MSI's decent B450/X470 boards (B450/X470 Gaming Plus etc.) might be okay with a 3950X OC if you weren't hammering it and if you had a less aggressive OC or if you had some airflow in combination with some of those other stipulations.

• I've also included a column for mobos that support BIOS Flashback without a CPU installed, as per this list.

• If there's something in the square brackets for a mobo name, that row includes both the variant that includes whatever's in the brackets and doesn't include it. For example the TUF B450[M]-Pro Gaming's information is accurate for both the TUF B450-Pro Gaming and the TUF B450M-Pro Gaming.

OcUK Staff
X470 Strix did not try....

I actually tried very limited X470 (5-6 boards). More B450 with lower core counts.... Specifically for an SI system I was asked to check over.

For me X470 is of zero interest with a new CPU and is probably of limited interest in terms of tuning efficiency for MB vendors... The MB vendors resources will be devoted to tuning the new platform. Old platforms work with the lower core count CPU I confirmed this with the boards I tried....

I will develop my stuff with the latest products. That's always how it works. We are developing new memory for this platform etc etc..... To say I am not interested in AMD is totally incorrect.

Last edited:

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Looks good for my X470-F Strix based on this. Slightly concerned (though still unclear) about what 8Pack meant with the comment about poor RAM efficiency compared to the X570 boards clock-for-clock, but fingers crossed this all looks okay when the chips finally see light of day.

Probably something to do with the better traces & PCB thickness (to comply with PCI-E 4.0 standards). Plus the fact that most X570 will be daisy chained as opposed to T-topology like what was on a fair amount of X370/470 boards.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
all Aorus boards have Bios flash button :)

nice list , need to include PWM controllers , PCB layers and SoC (prob mainly for B and ITX boards)

also CPU Power Plus would be helpful, i.e 8 pin, 8+4 or 8+8 .

There's already a document out there that has PCB layers on (for x570 at least). Single 8 pin is plenty for the vast majority of users (384w?), LN2 will probably need an extra 4 pin.

Associate
happy days - if that list is correct then it looks like my x370 Gaming 5 will be fine right up to the 3900x. lets me ride it out until the inevitable board price drops - i really want to switch to mATX but ain't paying an early adopter tax to be a guinea pig!
It is correct, all you need to do is visit Gigabyte's website if you are still unsure. But you don't have to as I've already done it some time ago :). X370 Gaming X series of MoBos from GB are all compatible all the way up to the new 12-core.

Soldato
There's already a document out there that has PCB layers on (for x570 at least). Single 8 pin is plenty for the vast majority of users (384w?), LN2 will probably need an extra 4 pin.

they were using the extra 8 pin with 16 cores ;) Not just about the amount of power supplied but how

be interesting to see changes when chips come out and run on older boards fully overclocked :)

Back
Top Bottom