• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
OP
Associate
Absolute nonsense! (But a great way to sell CPUs...)
AMD have confirmed there will be loads of CPUs to go around. If OCUK run out, or start gouging then buy elsewhere. AMD are not suffering from the same issues Intel were. Stock is not a problem.

Bit silly if they try this, people will just shop elsewhere. Price gouging only works if you have market dominance!

Associate
So I have a spare louqe case I wanted to build in and it accepts mITX only. Looking at the compatibility list it states the MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC supports all CPUs I including a 3950x OC?!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-33w-ms.html

Pretty insane if that's the case. I don't even want to overclock I just want to have a small form factor for another room.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure it has the flashback bios though...

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
So I have a spare louqe case I wanted to build in and it accepts mITX only. Looking at the compatibility list it states the MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC supports all CPUs I including a 3950x OC?!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-33w-ms.html

Pretty insane if that's the case. I don't even want to overclock I just want to have a small form factor for another room.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure it has the flashback bios though...

Thoughts?

No it doesnt support any of the RyZen 3000 CPU's out of the box, and doesnt have a flashback button, so you would need a 1xxx or 2xxx series CPU to flash the bios.

Associate
Yeah that's an idea. I'm just going to hold tight and see what price the X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI comes in at.

But I have a feeling it will be very expensive!

Rumoured £220. i can only get an itx board as well and my 2 board of choice are exactly the two you have mentioned

Associate
Any AM4 chip before third-generation Ryzen will work to flash the BIOS. You could pick up a Bristol Ridge A6-9500 or Athlon X4 950 and do it. I believe AMD still sends out kits to do it anyway. No reason why this can't apply once again.

I heard that a lot of manufacturers removed Bristol ridge support from bios a while back so they'd have room for Zen 2? At any rate if you check the CPU compatibility list for many boards the old A series are missing. It's really hard to figure out whether this is because the compatibility lists correspond to the latest bios which supports Zen2 but not Bristol ridge, or whether they never supported Bristol ridge, or whether there's an interim state where neither were supported. As you also don't know what bios revision you're getting until you power up your board, I'm really glad I don't work in tech support.

Soldato
Any AM4 chip before third-generation Ryzen will work to flash the BIOS. You could pick up a Bristol Ridge A6-9500 or Athlon X4 950 and do it. I believe AMD still sends out kits to do it anyway. No reason why this can't apply once again.

I looked a quite a few b450 and x470 boards. All I looked at only had Ryzen 1200 and up CPU listed on CPU compatibility.

That and the 200GE for APU were as low as it goes.

The older CPU may well be fine on the 3xx series boards but check compatibility before you buy

A certain second hand shop wants £25 for a 200ge or £35 for a 1200. Doubt you get a heatsink though.

Associate
i should say so the leaked benchmarks put the 3700x and 3900x on par with the i9 9900k wich is 5 genertaions newer than your chip, hold off until the reviws tommorow and make your choice then, quite a few ppl are saying the 3700x/3800x should be the sweet spot for gaming

Yea im holding out for reviews, doubt i will be buying the 1st week of release either im gonna see how it plays out.

Yes, hopefully a bonkers upgrade in most games. Google it but you're looking at a vast improvement.

Im hoping for a bonkers upgrade ha

Is your 4690K overclocked? That might close the gap somewhat, but I guess the answer ultimately depends on what you're playing. There should be no regressions, that's for sure.

Nope dunno how to overclock

Associate
I think the way they portrayed all 4xx boards as Zen2 compatible during the launch coupled with the predicted price and messaging surrounding x570 means AMD are probably going to have to rerun their processor loan scheme or there will likely be a lot of miffed customers. We might find out tomorrow I guess..

Associate
I mean at roughly £100 more I might bite...

*If* the rumoured price is true that is...

Yea thats whats got me holding back, the rumoured range price is between £210 and £230 so im gonna wait until tomorrow and see, if reviews say the dont really add much in the way of performance over the 450s then il put my £100 into the gpu fund for another day and get the msi board

Associate
I heard that a lot of manufacturers removed Bristol ridge support from bios a while back so they'd have room for Zen 2? At any rate if you check the CPU compatibility list for many boards the old A series are missing. It's really hard to figure out whether this is because the compatibility lists correspond to the latest bios which supports Zen2 but not Bristol ridge, or whether they never supported Bristol ridge, or whether there's an interim state where neither were supported. As you also don't know what bios revision you're getting until you power up your board, I'm really glad I don't work in tech support.
I looked a quite a few b450 and x470 boards. All I looked at only had Ryzen 1200 and up CPU listed on CPU compatibility.

That and the 200GE for APU were as low as it goes.

The older CPU may well be fine on the 3xx series boards but check compatibility before you buy

A certain second hand shop wants £25 for a 200ge or £35 for a 1200. Doubt you get a heatsink though.

Good point, guys. I had forgotten about that.

Those prices are crazy, considering what you get for it.

The safer bet would be to rely on AMD giving out upgrade kits once again. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Nope dunno how to overclock

Okay. Consider what games you are most likely to play. Have you checked any comparisons between a 4690K and any first- or second-generation Ryzen products, just to get a taste of what you will be getting? If you can't find any 4690K comparisons, a 6500/6600/6600K will be pretty similar.

Associate
Crosshair VII Hero Wifi has a new updated BIOS released today. Just throwing it out there in case you have one (has yesterday's date but it was not there earlier)

Back
Top Bottom