• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Of course, it is a best case scenario. 10-15% is more reasonable.

Wouldnt put it past AMD playing down performance to really surprise people with a decent uplift, much like Zen1 they were always stating 40% or so and then hit what? 52%? but they played it down bigtime before release

Soldato
Wouldnt put it past AMD playing down performance to really surprise people with a decent uplift, much like Zen1 they were always stating 40% or so and then hit what? 52%? but they played it down bigtime before release
I dunno, I can't think of any other recent incidence of AMD sandbagging like that. If anything, their recent history is of over-promising and under-delivering, particularly in the GPU space.

For Zen, the initial claim was that they were aiming for a 40% IPC uplift over Excavator, and this was all the way back in 2015 I think. Eventually it ended up having a 52% IPC uplift but it's not like they sneakily changed their minds from 40% to 52% a week before launch.

Associate
I have a feeling they are sandbagging a little bit as well. The reason they used what they used at Rome demo, the program, which does not use AVX, which resources were doubled in Zen2.
With Zen 40% was their aim, and from simulations they saw they could hit that 40%. But once they got their chips, I think they still kept saying 40% to not reveal the real uplift.

Soldato
Guys this ^^^ <15% but at that a 4.5Ghz Zen 2 would beat a 5Ghz 9900K.

If we look at that Rome leak it has a clock of 2.35ghz on that HP super computer, Epyc zen1 had a 2ghz clock iirc? So if you said ok Zen2 has a 350mhz uplift over Zen+ that puts Zen2 at 4.7ghz XFR...
I still think we are going to see 4.8ghz Zen2 chips on all cores.

Caporegime
Of course, it is a best case scenario. 10-15% is more reasonable.

Best case scenario on a chip that has literally doubled FPU throughout, would be a 100% FPU benchmark, it's extremely unlikely to be best case scenario but was put in there for a specific group of customers they were going after who the earlier they get an idea of IPC increase the better.

Without some other major bottleneck, performance in FPU should be increasing somewhere at 60+% or more, maybe even a straight 100% but I'm assuming memory bandwidth and some other issues are limitations in performance. 29% IPC screams of a balanced workload between say 15% integer performance increase and 60% FPU performance increase.

Soldato
If we look at that Rome leak it has a clock of 2.35ghz on that HP super computer, Epyc zen1 had a 2ghz clock iirc? So if you said ok Zen2 has a 350mhz uplift over Zen+ that puts Zen2 at 4.7ghz XFR...
We don't know if that 2.35 GHz is a base clock or a boost clock though.

Soldato
Do supercomputers even use boost. I think boost is disabled and base clock is used for consistency in performance and power. Though this is my opinion, and not a fact :)

They almost certainly use any "boost" available, as long as the CPU itself is at stock. Because who ever the CPU vendor is, boost of any sort at stock is well within the published and accepted norm for that CPU.

HeX

HeX

Soldato

You also have to remember that Rome is double the cores while also being clocked .35GHz higher than previous gen... so probably even more in the tank.

Permabanned
It would be a nice surprise if the Zen 2 series supported DDR5. Any chance of that?

If it uses DDR5, say goodbye to the backwards compatibility with B350/B450/X370/X470 chipsets.
Unless, it is like some previous CPUs that supported DDR2 and DDR3 at the same time.

Do supercomputers even use boost. I think boost is disabled and base clock is used for consistency in performance and power. Though this is my opinion, and not a fact :)

I think no.

On a scale of 1 to 11 how excited are you about Ryzen 3000 ?
Im going to put myself at an 8

Myself 5. Even though 29% IPC uplift sounds extremely impressive just two years after the 57% Zen 1 IPC uplift, I find it more important for AMD to catch up in the GPU department.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom