• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
IB came out in 2012.
First PCI-E 3.0 support was Sandybridge-e.

PCI-E 3.0 support came from the CPU. Z68 didn't bring PCI-E 3.0 support.

Well it's both to be fair. The boards have to be capable, as in the traces, lane switches have to be pcie 3.0 compliant.

Sandybridge-e gen 3 wasn't officially supported, but just worked anyway. Although hacks were needed for nvidea cards.

Soldato
Let's not forget that PCI-E 3.0 has been around since 2011 and the Z68 chipset, and it will have been 8 years come July since MSI introduced the Z68A-GD80 (G3) which I believe was the first mainstream board to support PCI-E 3.0, and July looks like when 4.0 will debut. Back then I don't think anybody though it would take the best part of a decade for 3.0 to be superseded, not to mention how easily you can now saturate the PCI-E lanes due to super fast disk subsystems and 10GBe etc.

Intel has basically the same design for the CPU/Chipset configuration it did back in 2009, ans it does 10 years later, at least AMD have moved to SoC and expanded the HEDT segment from 40 lanes to 64+

Still have my Z68A-GD55 (G3) sat here in a box.. :)

World's First Gen 3.. and UEFI?

ftnlMZU.png

X3JwnSI.png

Soldato
That was rather my point though.

Read what I was saying rather than "riding to the defence" of 1080p gamers.

When any modern graphics card can do 1080p half asleep, it doesn't really need any work optimising for. It wouldn't matter if 99.9% were still suckered into staying 1080p, if the graphics hardware will do it with it's eyes closed, it's time to move (engineering hours previous spent creating 1080p optimisations) on. The folks playing at 1080p with a 5.4ghz Intel chip pumping a 1080 with enough instructions to not be sat at 30-60% idle are into vanishingly tiny percentages.

I'd guarantee 200+ fps@1080p is a smaller market than 4k.

The vast majority are on 1060's or below at the minute, even then, pretty much anything they buy (new) from now will absolutely knock 60fps 1080p out of the park without even trying. There's no need to spend effort "optimising" it. It'll just have the GPU sat doing even less work.

Who cares about the 94% I say. That 94% would be better off owing a console, they just don't know it yet.

Here is the interesting part. 1080p is losing nearly 1% market share per month now - but all the resolutions UNDER 1080p are gaining market share...

Currently 30% of steam gamers are playing under 1080p and this is actually INCREASING.

1440p, 4k etc are also increasing, just slowly.

Soldato
Who cares about the 94% I say. That 94% would be better off owing a console, they just don't know it yet.

Here is the interesting part. 1080p is losing nearly 1% market share per month now - but all the resolutions UNDER 1080p are gaining market share...

Currently 30% of steam gamers are playing under 1080p and this is actually INCREASING.

Those adopting sub 1080p resolutions to game on in 2019 are not likely to be spending large budgets. Which means they are not driving super high FPS on 144 to 240hz displays where they will need a CPU to keep up. This is irreverent data really. If they are then it's a super niche rather odd group of people.

Soldato
Dying to switch my 3570k, it's holding back my vega 64. Tempted to get a 2700x but think I'll wait for 3700x, will they work with current AM4 boards? Would it be safe to buy a board now?

Soldato

I'll try again, with less words. Don't make me break out the crayons.

1080p is easy. It doesn't need optimising for. No future hardware will find 1080p "hard".

Soldato
Dying to switch my 3570k, it's holding back my vega 64. Tempted to get a 2700x but think I'll wait for 3700x, will they work with current AM4 boards? Would it be safe to buy a board now?

2600K (with a huge clock to be fair) to 2700X was a sidegrade (mild upgrade) for gaming (not saying I regret it in the slightest, been a wonderful rig). Amazing everywhere else, benchmarks look mighty impressive. Not... particularly skull shattering on the gaming front.

If you have a productivity reason for 8c/16t, absolutely go for it.
If you really can't wait and have to buy something, sure, a good crosshair VI X470 will be a worthy companion for the new gen.
If you can wait though, the new gen boards have PCie 4, (probably) more power phases and likely will enable an additional trick or 2 in the new chips.

I'd hold if you can help it.

Associate
Please explain why you want to buy a board now and keep it on a shelf for 3 months while you wait for a 3700x?

Well just did exactly this, but that was because my Z97 board gave up the ghost so it was either bite the bullet and hope for the best or waste money on replacing a Z97 board which just seemed pointless. But yeah I get where you are coming from :)

Back
Top Bottom