• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I just wanted an educated guess, that's literally what I wanted lol
ah fair one but just wait for reviews mate. you're on a 2700x, it's not like your sitting on an antiquated system that is in desperation of upgrade. i'm in a simialr position to you albeit i'm only on a 1600 used almost solely for gaming and a bit of streaming/recording game play. i'd rather wait on proper reviews even though i know everything releasing sunday will be an improvement.

you gotta calm those upgrade itches - i know it's hard!! :p

Soldato
I don't understand how a gamer (plenty on this forum) can order on release day without seeing reviews? We don't know if the 3800x or 3900x is best in gaming? which has lowest latency? which overclocks higher? Is the 3800 faster than the 3900x even (overclocked)?? We just don't know yet. So any "gamers" buying on day 1 I find a bit mental. Just give it 48 hours at least to see the real data,

Budget maybe?

Soldato
ah fair one but just wait for reviews mate. you're on a 2700x, it's not like your sitting on an antiquated system that is in desperation of upgrade. i'm in a simialr position to you albeit i'm only on a 1600 used almost solely for gaming and a bit of streaming/recording game play. i'd rather wait on proper reviews even though i know everything releasing sunday will be an improvement.

you gotta calm those upgrade itches - i know it's hard!! :p
Hahaha, exactly!
I do a little streaming too but I'm a upgrade addict, help me, help me!
Im trying so hard to not get the 3900x for absolutely no reason other than it has 12 cores... And that's more than the 8 i have. That's it, that's the reason....
So I just wanted to know what others were going to get that isnt so silly

Gee

Gee

Soldato
CH6 already has bios support for new processors.

On the older AGESA though if memory serves.

AGESA 1.0.0.1 & newer should fix the problems with Inter-Core latency & Inter-Core bandwidth.

Just gotta keep an eye out on your mobo vendors support page.

Soldato
The reviews will be out on day 1 as I understand, it's literally a matter of spending 10 minutes reading a review and seeing the numbers before going and ordering and since the launch is on Sunday one can delay the ordering part until Monday morning as the earliest we will get it delivered would be Tuesday.

Associate
Say that to Division 2 & Battlefield 5. Game Devs are utilising cores now more than ever.
I know there is a few like B5 and D2 that use more than four, that is why I said "most". But it is only a handful that are using more than 4, let alone using 12 cores. It is the reason why I personally decided to upgrade my 7700K to the 3800X.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Not yet but I fully intend to be in readiness for dropping the new CPU in, the new Ryzen 3000 bios updates have been released and are available on the gigabyte support site.

I dont tend to update the bios unless I have an issue and as my 1600 has been ticking along nicely for a good while I didnt want to tempt fate until i had to :)

Fair point, but depending on how old your BIOS version is, you may be missing out on some performance! The newer ones come with better memory compatibility for the most part, so you may be able to quicken that ram up ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hahaha, exactly!
I do a little streaming too but I'm a upgrade addict, help me, help me!
Im trying so hard to not get the 3900x for absolutely no reason other than it has 12 cores... And that's more than the 8 i have. That's it, that's the reason....
So I just wanted to know what others were going to get that isnt so silly
hold on, are you me - i'm confused and a bit scared right now!
the moment i saw the link that showed my current mobo (x370 gigabyte gaming 5) could handle a 3900x i thought - sod it, i'll just buy that for now and when the motherboard prices drop a bit i'll look to switching that out too. even though i have absolutely zero, nil, nada, zilch need for a 12c/24t cpu! a 3700/3800 or even the 3600 would do me perfectly well for the next few years. but noooo, the 3900x is stalking me, haunting my dreams, telling me it wants me, it needs me. yes, i'm sad :(:p.

Associate
I know there is a few like B5 and D2 that use more than four, that is why I said "most". But it is only a handful that are using more than 4, let alone using 12 cores. It is the reason why I personally decided to upgrade my 7700K to the 3800X.

As the next generation of consoles comes around and game engines are getting updated, 8 cores will be commonplace. If you're planning to upgrade every year or so, doesn't matter. If you want 5+ year life line, 8 cores is a minimum.

Soldato
Got my X470 Taichi Ultimate today, exciting!! Sticker on it says BIOS version 3.20, released on the same day I bought it (lucky coincidence). Impressive service (not OcUK though as they have no stock).

Quick question... my PSU has 2x 4-pin CPU power connectors. For an AM4 motherboard with 1x 8-pin + 1x 4-pin, should I be plugging both 4-pin connectors into the 8-pin socket, or 1 4-pin connector into the 8-pin socket and the other 4-pin connector into the 4-pin socket?

Soldato
In case anyone can't be bothered I've converted the publicly released $ prices to £ plus 20% VAT.

Hg5cG1M.png

For the hell of it I've done a VERY CRUDE measure of how many MHz you get for your pound, with a 15% penalty on the Zen+ parts. SC is based on boost speeds and MC on base clock.

Associate
As the next generation of consoles comes around and game engines are getting updated, 8 cores will be commonplace. If you're planning to upgrade every year or so, doesn't matter. If you want 5+ year life line, 8 cores is a minimum.
Well let me ask you guys a quick question (let me know if its against forum rules), how do you think I can get out of a 7700K and a Z270E since I am planning to sell it once I get Zen 2. Depending how much I can maybe go for the 3900X.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Got my X470 Taichi Ultimate today, exciting!! Sticker on it says BIOS version 3.20, released on the same day I bought it (lucky coincidence). Impressive service (not OcUK though as they have no stock).

Quick question... my PSU has 2x 4-pin CPU power connectors. For an AM4 motherboard with 1x 8-pin + 1x 4-pin, should I be plugging both 4-pin connectors into the 8-pin socket, or 1 4-pin connector into the 8-pin socket and the other 4-pin connector into the 4-pin socket?

Just use the 8-pin (so your 2x4 pin connectors in this), ignore the 1x4 pin - it's not needed unless on LN2.

Back
Top Bottom