• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 - Threadripper 3rd gen thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
multiple nvme drives when you only have a 16c processor? Pointless.

Also, Ive never understood the need for 10gb internet when barely any ISP's even offer 1gb speeds?

A home server or NAS with lots of spinning rust on a 10Gbps network is a thing to behold.

It’s surprising what you can get from ISP’s I’m looking at asymmetrical 10Gbps lines now.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
You say you "get it" and then immediately return to a line of questioning regarding internet speeds, so I'm not sure you do "get it". It's like asking why you'd want WiFi 6 over WiFi AC or Gigabit Ethernet over 100 Mb/s Ethernet. For faster connectivity between devices, of course.

I meant I get that internal networks always seem to need 10gb network (like at my workplace) but that never makes sense to me, because the ISP can only provide 200mb?

Soldato
I meant I get that internal networks always seem to need 10gb network (like at my workplace) but that never makes sense to me, because the ISP can only provide 200mb?

Internet access speed isn't everything. If you're working with files or file sets in the 10s or 100s of gigabytes on your LAN then 10Gb makes sense. Consider, if you will, as it's an approximation of a real-world example, that you are working on a model of something and the file set totals 100 GB. To transfer those files from your server to your PC will take approx 1000 seconds - over 15 minutes - on gigabit ethernet. Change that to 10 Gb and you're looking at under 2 minutes. Now consider that the person involved is very highly paid and 10 Gb pays for itself very quickly..

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Internet access speed isn't everything. If you're working with files or file sets in the 10s or 100s of gigabytes on your LAN then 10Gb makes sense. Consider, if you will, as it's an approximation of a real-world example, that you are working on a model of something and the file set totals 100 GB. To transfer those files from your server to your PC will take approx 1000 seconds - over 15 minutes - on gigabit ethernet. Change that to 10 Gb and you're looking at under 2 minutes. Now consider that the person involved is very highly paid and 10 Gb pays for itself very quickly..

Ohhh okay I understand now! Thanks for explaining!

Soldato
Yes seems to be two different chip sets and sets of CPU, one HEDT like we have already and one more workstation orientated with no overclocking on cut down EPYC.

I think they will probably offer 16/24 and 32 core on the HEDT with 64 PCIE/quad channel memory and 32/48/64 on the workstation models with more PCIE lanes and 8 channel memory.

Supposed to be 280W TDP CPU

Best of both worlds really, sounds really good.

Gamers Nexus have provided some info supposedly from a insider source

Associate
Yes seems to be two different chip sets and sets of CPU, one HEDT like we have already and one more workstation orientated with no overclocking on cut down EPYC.

I think they will probably offer 16/24 and 32 core on the HEDT with 64 PCIE/quad channel memory and 32/48/64 on the workstation models with more PCIE lanes and 8 channel memory.

Supposed to be 280W TDP CPU

Best of both worlds really, sounds really good.

Gamers Nexus have provided some info supposedly from a insider source

Certainly if they do a 16 core threadripper this round that could be amazing for the vast majority of people considering anything 16+ core wise (eg why both with 3950X?).

Back
Top Bottom