• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Aye, i know i'll be taking a big loss on the sale price but i knew this when i bought it back in June.

As the owner of a 3900XT that's actually worse than an average 3900X (lesson learned with refreshes) I feel your pain. I bought this chip on XT release day for £520 and I'll be lucky to get £300. I'll probably end up keeping it and shipping out the 3600x instead to take less of a loss.

Associate
Alright sweet, yea my Giga board auto settings are a bit lower now on newer bios. 3533 is vSoc 1.08, Vddp 0.95, Vddg 1.0, 3733 settings as above auto, i'll leave all that now seems to be working. Might have to retest memory timings now with increased memory compatibility on newer bios, got sucked into tweaking again when familiarising myself again ready for 5000 series, but not bothering upgrading now. Thanks again.
You're welcome, happy to have been of some help :)

Feel free to dm me or start a new thread (or both) if you get stuck on memory tweaking, I'm addicted to it... :p

Stu

Stu

Soldato
You're welcome, happy to have been of some help :)

Feel free to dm me or start a new thread (or both) if you get stuck on memory tweaking, I'm addicted to it... :p

I also want to say thanks... I've copy/pasted your last few posts into my notes to look back over when I get the new system up and running.

Soldato
Might have to hold of jumping ship to AMD, because if the shared resources between CPU / GPU work perhaps Nvidia might come up with a solution or maybe Intel that allows their CPU/Mobo to do something similar with Nvidia. Maybe that'll mean jumping from AMD back to Intel. Unlikely but ya never know I guess.

Associate
Might have to hold of jumping ship to AMD, because if the shared resources between CPU / GPU work perhaps Nvidia might come up with a solution or maybe Intel that allows their CPU/Mobo to do something similar with Nvidia. Maybe that'll mean jumping from AMD back to Intel. Unlikely but ya never know I guess.

But in what time frame can they do this? Is it worth not buying for 12-18 months while they put something together? 2 years? 3?

Soldato
No, what AMD announced is different to direct storage.

The AMD cards can do both, Nvidia’s can’t currently but in theory they could do something similar.

Associate
No, what AMD announced is different to direct storage.

The AMD cards can do both, Nvidia’s can’t currently but in theory they could do something similar.

Fair play. I remember the dude playing Crysis installed on his 3090 vram and Jensen saying direct streaming from SSD to GPU with the cpu able to decompress addressed GPU memory. Sounded the same to me but wrapped in leather jacket BS :)

Can't believe I watched some of that announce again to find the timestamp for Direct IO, he's so cheesy. Like a slimy door to door salesman.

Soldato
Would it not be something they can do at driver level or would

No, Nvidia’s system could potentially access the SSD over the PCI-E bus, but it’s rather complicated and may not work. Lots of ducks require alignment.

What AMD have is a coherent system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom