• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Technically possible. :p

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1323818388817211395/photo/1

He doesn't say who screenshot is but I think it's still Jumper based on the board. Edit: Confirmed via video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJFZGBIdG4

@Jumper118 Can you do C14 again and tighten up the other timings to see what a safe daily 24/7 would be?
with more normal timings its around 53-55ns. its pretty much same as 3300x if you look up benchmarks for that :) you have to remember adia64 is affected a bit by cpu clock speed as well.

Associate
we have one 5950x so far showing 5ghz using pbo (single core not all core)

Yeah the issue with the dual die chips is always going to be the one fast die one slow die approach AMD take and then fitting everything into the power budget available. My 3900XT pulls an ungodly amount of power with a manual overclock in place compared to stock for what id guess is an overall gain of about 10%. I have seen 260w at the wall according to my watt meter in benching trim. Having an entire extra die hanging off there does negatively affect peak boost duration times compared to running the second die disabled from bios, this is especially noticeable using auto boost management options. I wouldn't like to try and make a prediction for what the multi die chips will manage when manually overclocked as the power envelope is so tight. I think its pretty telling that base clocks have gone down by 100mhz on both multi die CPUs when compared to the 3000 generation though, its going to be a hard fight against power draw with all cores active.

The 5800x could have a lot more going for it than at first glance though, I don't think the numbers AMD showed are giving the full picture. Everything depends on the quality of the cores throughout the die, if they are binned for each core being able to do the similar boost targets that's great. if they are binned for a few cores being able to do it and who cares about the rest, well that's considerably worse. Its where the "uneven" capability dies go that is going to matter when talking about overclocking. If it turns out that the even binned dies are going to the 5800x and the "peaky" dies are going to the 5950x my vitriol about their choices has been misplaced. Around 4.7 boost with all cores capable of reaching that is far better than 4.9 on a couple and 4.5 on the other six for gaming and low core count workloads. Same could apply to 5600x and 5900x CPUs. This is why we need reviews before release dammit!

Associate
A Pro for the 5900x is:
You could game on one die and use the other die for something else - that would reduce your latency but also you only be using 6/12 to game

Associate
i have never been able to oc in windows with ryzen master at all. i have always used asus turboV as its much lighter. Honestly when i bought it i didnt think it was going to arrive or be real, so i have much less time to bench and test than i would have liked XD.

Totally understandable, I was vehemently against any form of software overclocking until I tried ryzen master on the 3900XT. Even then I used it for testing without reboots the matched my final settings in bios and haven't loaded it since. My only previous experience was the asus "fat" software from early generation core cpus. That put me off even trying for years. Honestly having now checked the release dates of both the chipset driver and ryzen master, I don't think this feature would work anyway even if now enabled at the cpu without updated software. I'm guessing AMD have released reviewer software packs and are waiting until tomorrow for the public software releases.

Thanks again for taking the risk on the cpu and then putting in the effort to do the video. There's a fair few of these cpu's that have been bought before release and you're the only one I know of who has bothered to let others know what the experience is.

Associate
A Pro for the 5900x is:
You could game on one die and use the other die for something else - that would reduce your latency but also you only be using 6/12 to game

Process lasso works well for this. Last time I looked though it couldn't be automated and had to be set up each time you launched an application. Its actually also possible to do this in windows natively using powershell in which case you can save the command as a script for each application and one click run it before you start the app. It adds a layer of complexity but its possible. This used to be a thing when there were more apps around that ran much better when limited to physical cores only so they didn't go on virtual threads.

Caporegime
A Pro for the 5900x is:
Yeah, gotta watch that latency man... I am sure it's the first thing that people will notice when they start using their new Zen3 CPU's. :D

Associate
Yeah, gotta watch that latency man... I am sure it's the first thing that people will notice when they start using their new Zen3 CPU's. :D
Worth it for a benchmarker, totally unnoticeable in daily gaming. There's a really, really small amount of edge cases where it can matter but those are all real workloads rather than pew pewing :D

Soldato
@Jumper118 , have you got a link to Asus Turbov download ? Everytime i have ever tried installing it in the past i've always come up with incompatibility issues.
i'm not sure where i got it from now :( i've has it for ages.

Totally understandable, I was vehemently against any form of software overclocking until I tried ryzen master on the 3900XT. Even then I used it for testing without reboots the matched my final settings in bios and haven't loaded it since. My only previous experience was the asus "fat" software from early generation core cpus. That put me off even trying for years. Honestly having now checked the release dates of both the chipset driver and ryzen master, I don't think this feature would work anyway even if now enabled at the cpu without updated software. I'm guessing AMD have released reviewer software packs and are waiting until tomorrow for the public software releases.

Thanks again for taking the risk on the cpu and then putting in the effort to do the video. There's a fair few of these cpu's that have been bought before release and you're the only one I know of who has bothered to let others know what the experience is.
Yes well this is why i posted about it. loads of people had them, but wouldn't use them or tell how they performed, so i thought i would :p

Associate
@Jumper118 , have you got a link to Asus Turbov download ? Everytime i have ever tried installing it in the past i've always come up with incompatibility issues.

I think this is the most recent version (its old). TurboV Core is/was updated by Shamino you have to go hunting around to find new versions. I'm not sure if he still posts them over at kingpincooling or not, thats where I used to grab most of the OC bioses and light versions of the OC apps. This particular link is not mine, its owned by Dumo and was posted over at Xtremesystems last summer in his CH8 Impact review. Worktool download is also hosted at the same link, its the per ccx windows clocking tool (Ryzen master does that now so you dont really need to use it unless you dont have RM installed).

Soldato
I think this is the most recent version (its old). TurboV Core is/was updated by Shamino you have to go hunting around to find new versions. I'm not sure if he still posts them over at kingpincooling or not, thats where I used to grab most of the OC bioses and light versions of the OC apps. This particular link is not mine, its owned by Dumo and was posted over at Xtremesystems last summer in his CH8 Impact review. Worktool download is also hosted at the same link, its the per ccx windows clocking tool (Ryzen master does that now so you dont really need to use it unless you dont have RM installed).

Thanks for the link to the old version @MrPils. Lol, the reason i'm interested in it is because unlike RM, it dosn't put permanent handles into the bios, unlike RM. I learnt very early on with a 1700 just how invasive RM is, so will never use it again.

Associate
Thanks for the link to the old version @MrPils. Lol, the reason i'm interested in it is because unlike RM, it dosn't put permanent handles into the bios, unlike RM. I learnt very early on with a 1700 just how invasive RM is, so will never use it again.
I got baited/trolled by Ryzen Master tbh, it says right there in the readme and all the advertising blurb that you can do per core overclocking in Ryzen Master. Well I guess you can its just the CPUs don't support it and never have despite the "feature" existing and being advertised in RM for 2 years now. It also claims you can adjust memory timings from within windows...well you can but you need to reboot afterwards to get them to apply and all its doing is changing the setting in bios.

Between the worktool, TurboV Core, hwinfo64 and ZenTimings you can get everything you need to tweak stuff in windows without installing Ryzen Master if you have an Asus board. There is a Gigabyte version of TurboV Core as well but I've never found a version that works with my X570i. As far as I know MSI don't have anything comparable thats public.

Soldato
I got baited/trolled by Ryzen Master tbh, it says right there in the readme and all the advertising blurb that you can do per core overclocking in Ryzen Master. Well I guess you can its just the CPUs don't support it and never have despite the "feature" existing and being advertised in RM for 2 years now. It also claims you can adjust memory timings from within windows...well you can but you need to reboot afterwards to get them to apply and all its doing is changing the setting in bios.

Between the worktool, TurboV Core, hwinfo64 and ZenTimings you can get everything you need to tweak stuff in windows without installing Ryzen Master if you have an Asus board. There is a Gigabyte version of TurboV Core as well but I've never found a version that works with my X570i. As far as I know MSI don't have anything comparable thats public.

Yep, RM to me is something i have no intention of re-visiting. Apart from a few weeks early on when i had a 1700 i have never used it since. The bios for me works fine. I was interested in Turbov because i know it dosn't actually put a permanent handle into the bios but have not found a version that works, the one you linked to does. Obviously it also works with Ryzen 3 as well, which could be a big Brucie bonus :D

Associate
Yep, RM to me is something i have no intention of re-visiting. Apart from a few weeks early on when i had a 1700 i have never used it since. The bios for me works fine. I was interested in Turbov because i know it dosn't actually put a permanent handle into the bios but have not found a version that works, the one you linked to does. Obviously it also works with Ryzen 3 as well, which could be a big Brucie bonus :D

The only thing I'm interested in with the 5000 chips and Ryzen Master is whether that per core multiplier and voltage setting is working as 1usmus has indicated in recent tweets. If its implemented in bios happy days I won't need to go near it, but it'll take a bit for new lite tools to surface so it could be an RM only feature for a bit after launch. Annoying, but I'm not going to kid myself into claiming I have the willpower not to try it and wait for 3rd party tools. I just don't... :D

I've decided to keep the Crosshair Impact no matter which cpu I get tomorrow. Even if I don't get a 16 tomorrow, being able to drop a 16 core into an ITX board at the end of AM4 is worth it and the Asus tools should creep out the woodwork first. I'll be lurking on hwbot forums, have had plenty of practice playing the F5 game for a 3080. I'll link it and @ you if I find anything interesting in the coming days/weeks :)

Soldato
The only thing I'm interested in with the 5000 chips and Ryzen Master is whether that per core multiplier and voltage setting is working as 1usmus has indicated in recent tweets. If its implemented in bios happy days I won't need to go near it, but it'll take a bit for new lite tools to surface so it could be an RM only feature for a bit after launch. Annoying, but I'm not going to kid myself into claiming I have the willpower not to try it and wait for 3rd party tools. I just don't... :D

I've decided to keep the Crosshair Impact no matter which cpu I get tomorrow. Even if I don't get a 16 tomorrow, being able to drop a 16 core into an ITX board at the end of AM4 is worth it and the Asus tools should creep out the woodwork first. I'll be lurking on hwbot forums, have had plenty of practice playing the F5 game for a 3080. I'll link it and @ you if I find anything interesting in the coming days/weeks :)

Lol.......................you can install RM if you want :D i never will again. I actually think FBO FMAX Enhancer is one hell of a step forward even for Ryzen 3000. If it actually works for Ryzen 5000 as well, it could well be a MAJOR game changer....................plus of course the link between the cpu and an AMD gpu :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom