• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
word going around the 5700 cpu will be 8 cores with smt disabled. again just rumors going around on other forums.
I wouldn't be supprised by this since AMD has morphed into Intel as of late and also AMD knows from experience of the 3000 series that if they release cheaper versions of the same CPU then people will buy those instead of the higher margin parts like the 5800X but by cutting SMT then AMD will force more users to go with the more expensive part.

I wouldn't be supprised by this since AMD has morphed into Intel as of late and also AMD knows from experience of the 3000 series that if they release cheaper versions of the same CPU then people will buy those instead of the higher margin parts like the 5800X but by cutting SMT then AMD will force more users to go with the more expensive part.

It would be odd to release one without SMT though, as they haven't done so far IIRC?

I think it'll still have SMT enabled, as those people who would be interested in buying the 5700X (i.e. people like me) wouldn't buy the 5800x anyway unless the prices dropped. I wouldn't feel "forced" to get the 5800x instead, I just wouldn't buy anything at all.

Glad someone see what I see :D but was obvious never understood fanboys, at least Intel had mostly constantly delivered speed for years, AMD isn't really on the same boat even if they always did competitive CPUs.

At current high price I think people build AMD mostly for PCIe 4.0, Intel should have never stopped board partner to support PCie 4.0 on the current z490 (all formats!) as many people seen lack of stock probably would have bought that, I am talking people preferring that platform.

I doubt they will disable it, Intel made a mistake there and I doubt AMD will follow suit, but then again they seem to like exceeding their competitor mistakes...look GPU launch after mocking Ngreedia.

If the 5700/x is SMT disabled I'd not be surprised in the least. There is a good reason why the 5700 series has not been released - AMD's boosting algorithm is very aggressive now and all Zen 3 CPU's more or less hit very similiar clocks.
A 8 core 16 thread 5700x would essentially be 99% as fast as the 5800x - and that's a problem for AMD because it's makes the 5800x useless.

AMD delayed the 5700x until they could find a way to nerf it so that the 5800x still has a place and in the case that AMD cannot find a way to make the 5700x slower, they will just sell the 5800x as they are doing now because it's a higher margin CPU

No, not really.

It would be odd to release one without SMT though, as they haven't done so far IIRC?

I think it'll still have SMT enabled, as those people who would be interested in buying the 5700X (i.e. people like me) wouldn't buy the 5800x anyway unless the prices dropped. I wouldn't feel "forced" to get the 5800x instead, I just wouldn't buy anything at all.
They released the 3500X 6/6 last time around so disabling SMT is nothing new, maybe this time they will do this with both 5700X and 5600 non X.

Yeah there would be people who choose not to buy at all but AMD can afford to miss out on a few sales this time as they are making 30~50% more cash per CPU with the high mark up on the lower end SKU's with the 5000 series.

Last edited:
Have we considered that they’ll just not release as many SKUs this time round?

They had way too many SKUs in the last gen and a few of them significantly outsold the rest. Especially now they are ahead the need to have a SKU at every £50/£75 just isn’t there anymore.

Have we considered that they’ll just not release as many SKUs this time round?

They had way too many SKUs in the last gen and a few of them significantly outsold the rest. Especially now they are ahead the need to have a SKU at every £50/£75 just isn’t there anymore.
The 2 that outsold the rest are the 2 that are missing this time around.

The 2 that outsold the rest are the 2 that are missing this time around.

But if you want to achieve a higher average selling price because your parts are now better in all measurable metrics, what would you do?

Delete the two lower prices SKUs and push people to the ‘X’ parts seems like a logical step. Particularly given the process is mature, I can’t see many, if any not making the ‘X’ bin.

If you look across at team blue, they are only really pushing 5 tiers of performance. 100, 400, 600, 700, 900 with K and non-k parts available at some tiers. Given AMD doesn’t offer an equivalent non-k part it really doesn’t make that much sense to have so many SKUs available when what you have on offer is just better.

Atleast intels offers a range of SKUs
But if you want to achieve a higher average selling price because your parts are now better in all measurable metrics, what would you do?

Delete the two lower prices SKUs and push people to the ‘X’ parts seems like a logical step. Particularly given the process is mature, I can’t see many, if any not making the ‘X’ bin.

If you look across at team blue, they are only really pushing 5 tiers of performance. 100, 400, 600, 700, 900 with K and non-k parts available at some tiers. Given AMD doesn’t offer an equivalent non-k part it really doesn’t make that much sense to have so many SKUs available when what you have on offer is just better.
AMDs previous highest seller was in the sub £200 category so by leaving out a CPU in that range cuts out a large portion of the market.

They released the 3500X 6/6 last time around so disabling SMT is nothing new, maybe this time they will do this with both 5700X and 5600 non X.

Yeah there would be people who choose not to buy at all but AMD can afford to miss out on a few sales this time as they are making 30~50% more cash per CPU with the high mark up on the lower end SKU's with the 5000 series.

So stop gap CPUs which are good for today but won't have any longevity....just like the Core i5 9600K was a while back!

Atleast intels offers a range of SKUs

AMDs previous highest seller was in the sub £200 category so by leaving out a CPU in that range cuts out a large portion of the market.

I didn’t say they wouldn’t release a lower tier SKU, there is clearly a gap for two more before the 3600X. One at £100-£150 and another at around £200-£230 There is also an obvious gap between the 3600X and the 5800X.

What I am trying to say is that I wouldn’t be holding out hope for a 3600 non-X. They just don't need to release a SKU at every £50, particularly when those SKUs are so similar in performance. Very few people shop that way and just buy what is the best value within a £100 range.

word going around the 5700 cpu will be 8 cores with smt disabled. again just rumors going around on other forums.

Shocker... I said this already near release and everyone said how wrong I was. It just makes financial sense. Not everyone needs SMT, and if you start making chips without them, you can focus that power into clock speeds.

My wish was for them to have 5800X and 5800G (the G being a gamer focused variant that comes with higher base clocks and no SMT)

G = graphics aka an APU.

A 3700 with no SMT makes sense in that slot, as does a 3500 6c/6t below the 3600x

below that a quad core and an APU or two (one quad and potentially a 6 core if it made sense).

To me that would make the time up complete with clearly defined product tiers at clearly segmented price points (unlike the 3000 series).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom