• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Associate
You'd be a fool to buy one of these cpu's at the moment. Cost of the chip, mobo and ram makes an upgrade stupid. No B series boards yet and X series boards are way overpriced for the spec.

Soldato
I'm curious, has anyone decided that they definitely won't buy a B650/B650E motherboard, and will only consider a X670 motherboard?

If so, what would put you off getting a B650 motherboard?

Last edited:
Associate
You'd be a fool to buy one of these cpu's at the moment. Cost of the chip, mobo and ram makes an upgrade stupid. No B series boards yet and X series boards are way overpriced for the spec.
not if you're on 5-6 year + old tech or looking for a brand new build - unless the 5000 (and the motherboards) come down a lot in price which doesn't look likely rn

Associate
not if you're on 5-6 year + old tech or looking for a brand new build - unless the 5000 (and the motherboards) come down a lot in price which doesn't look likely rn

on a 1700. 5900x is the best upgrade for me. Don't have a top end gpu so not going to see much in the way of difference in games (current system is fine for games) but want more HP for davinci resolve.

Soldato
"Whereas B550 motherboards launched almost a year after X570, this time around the gap is set to be a matter of weeks"

This was another (price) related reason I never bothered with Zen 3, AMD get it right this time!

Soldato
So basically, the 6 core chips are good but the 6 core chips from the previous gen offer a better bang/buck, the 8 core chip is the sweet spot but the 3D version next year will be better, and the 12/16 core chips are kinda scam-ish. Essentially the 7000 series story is the same as the 5000 series story was xD

Associate
They should do them again for that....
Of course they will, more videos = more income for them, any band wagon they can jump on is good for their business.

I mean hell, look at all the videos that come out in the lead up to releases, all the 'rumours' - a new video every few days about 'what if'... worse than the news nowadays :D

Anyway, personally i'd love some more cpu intensive games tested to see how they stack up in games I play! :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in for a 7950X on an X670E board. I've been without a PC for over 2 years now for a number of reasons, but jumping back in. I only game around 30% of the time, so most of my other workloads are in the "Productivity" lane. The reason for X670E is that I generally repurpose my old desktop platforms for my NAS/Server, and will need at least 3 PCIe slots, a bunch of M.2 and having 2.5G or 10G onboard will be useful (although I know a dedicated NIC is usually better), as well as USB 4.0.

Last edited:
Associate
Fun finding is that pretty much all the reviews you saw today were done on configurations that would put you out of warranty. Configurations sent via the review guides and kits by the vendor itself. New trend incoming.

unknown.png

Back
Top Bottom