• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
For gamers I don't get this launch. Some charts with the X3D above zen4 and the odd few reviews I've seen no one's really talking about it

Last edited:
Soldato
Well today's reviews of the 7000 series cpus knocked the prices of the 5950x back up to £700 ..

And the 5900x to £500.

EDIT:

Wow and OCUK is currently the cheapest for them... Other retailers are £600 for 5900x and £908 for 5950x ... and another well known retailer 5900x £550.

All remaining 5000 series have shot up everywhere.
Gibbo already covered this, discounts for retailers have now ceased with the arrival of am5

Associate
For gaming my take away from these results is wait for zen4 3d (and i didnt realise quite how good the 5800x3d was). I so wanted to like ZEN4, but feels a little flat tbh, unless you need ultra fast for productivity. I was hoping for some good old AMD price / performance stars but the 7600x doesn't seem like thats it. In fact, AMD and INTEL seem to have really very similar offerings right now, hot (even if by design), power hungry (although different reviews have very different values for the 7950x) similar perf and around the same price.

Associate

This will be miles ahead of any fabric and RAM focused information you’ll get on zen 4 so def worth a read.

Soldato
This is the first time I've seen reviewers say they were required to use a specific ram kit though.

In ADL reviews half the reviewers didn't even use DDR5 etc so I'm sure there was no requirements.
In ALD reviews people used 4400c40 ddr5, lol. Is there anyone that used that kind of kit for zen 5?

Soldato
Tech reviews.
Maybe it's because i'm old school but i'm no fan of the video reviews. I admit the first reviews I went to was Anand and Tom's. I prefer a written piece, segmented with explanations etc. Black and white to be referenced. Not a man with his 'influencer shirt and wizard hat on.
With a written review, the author has thought about it, reviewed it, put his name to it. It maybe not always correct but at least to the author it must be a genuine attempt at being honest.

YouTubers? nah not for me. (only on fast forward) with the sound off.
Why are they any different. If say GamersNexus wrote what is in video (which kinda already did as there is a giant script) why is that worth more than the video he puts out? Rubbish we all read, write and such here and talk rubbish most time. The video person has still written a script, thought about it, reviewed it and put their whole franchise on it? What a daft statement.

Caporegime
AM5 Raphael Overclocking: What's New (Part 1)

MLID Ryzen 7000 analysis, some of it actually make a lot of sense, icnluding the part where he says the 4090 will be ideal for testing Ryzen 7000 based on the results below which show how much faster the 7000 series in GPU limited scenarios.
ZzgDTps.jpg
The only thing he missed out in his anaylsis was that Ryzen 7000 performs better with an AMD GPU vs a Nvidia GPU as shown by PcGamesHardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well today's reviews of the 7000 series cpus knocked the prices of the 5950x back up to £700 ..

And the 5900x to £500.

EDIT:

Wow and OCUK is currently the cheapest for them... Other retailers are £600 for 5900x and £908 for 5950x ... and another well known retailer 5900x £550.

All remaining 5000 series have shot up everywhere.
Clearly your google skills are weak, 5950x can still be had for £539 and the 5900x for £411.

Soldato
It scales with memory and cores cause it basically unpacks assets on the fly. The bigger zen 3s are memory bottlenecked thats why they are pretty close to the 5600x. Also ht is broken in this game, disabling them gives you a LOT of performance.

My 12900k with HT off was hitting 85-90% usage, so do the math for the 7600x. It will probably be restricted by the multicore performance.

So? Nobody said it will be unplayable. Im saying it scales beyond 6 cores, so why would you buy 6 or 8 when you can get 14 for similar or even less money?

There doesn't seem to be much relationship between the framerate and the number of cores.

Other factors like the L3 cache amount, IPC, clock rate and frequency of the RAM seem to count for more.

If those E-Cores on the 12900K were disabled, I doubt it would make a big difference.

Doesn't seem crippled with it having 6 cores the way you suggested still making improvements even if core count is the same, anyway I wouldn't myself buy an 6 core just wanted to point it out

1YlsivH.jpg

yJuQcyk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
MLID Ryzen 7000 analysis, some of it actually make a lot of sense, icnluding the part where he says the 4090 will be ideal for testing Ryzen 7000 based on the results below which show how much faster the 7000 series in GPU limited scenarios.
Nah, he just a dum-dum. You don't need to wait for the 4090 to eliminate GPU bottlenecking, there's this free solution universally available called "just drop the resolution down more". Unfortunately as we can see 99% of reviewers are just as stupid as he is, so ignorance is spread the most. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't seem crippled with it having 6 cores the way you suggested still making improvements even if core count is the same, anyway I wouldn't myself buy an 6 core just wanted to point it out

1YlsivH.jpg

yJuQcyk.jpg
Did i ever say it will be crippled? Im saying its restricted by the number of cores most likely. Also his numbers are just funny, i have a way worse ddr5 kit than him and im hitting way higher framerates on a stock 12900k. Sadly it doesn't have an ingame bench but just running around the city I get 150 to 190 fps.

Soldato
This graph from Igor's Lab implies that Zen 4's memory controller can run at full speed with 6400 MT/s RAM, is that correct?

Assetto-Corsa-Competizione-FPS-1080p-2.png

Last edited:
Associate
For gaming my take away from these results is wait for zen4 3d (and i didnt realise quite how good the 5800x3d was). I so wanted to like ZEN4, but feels a little flat tbh, unless you need ultra fast for productivity. I was hoping for some good old AMD price / performance stars but the 7600x doesn't seem like thats it. In fact, AMD and INTEL seem to have really very similar offerings right now, hot (even if by design), power hungry (although different reviews have very different values for the 7950x) similar perf and around the same price.

Im happy with my 3900x for now. ill wait until DDR5 matures a bit before I jump.

Soldato
My rig is pretty aged now, a 4770K clocked at 4.5Ghz since day 1, about 10-12 years ago!!! It still copes admirably in many games, but I'm now considering a jump to a new platform. Since I don't do regular upgrades I'm considering AM5, and I'll probably go for the 7600X now to get on the new platform, then replace the CPU with the rumoured 7800X3D at some point next year. This will hopefully see me through another decade!

What attracts me most is AMD's commitment to a platform, allowing me a relatively simple future upgrade path should I desire it in the future. I'm no longer chasing the ultimate in performance.

Associate
My rig is pretty aged now, a 4770K clocked at 4.5Ghz since day 1, about 10-12 years ago!!! It still copes admirably in many games, but I'm now considering a jump to a new platform. Since I don't do regular upgrades I'm considering AM5, and I'll probably go for the 7600X now to get on the new platform, then replace the CPU with the rumoured 7800X3D at some point next year. This will hopefully see me through another decade!

What attracts me most is AMD's commitment to a platform, allowing me a relatively simple future upgrade path should I desire it in the future. I'm no longer chasing the ultimate in performance.
That i believe is why motherboards are being priced through the roof. They feel their part will last longer in a new build, so they make less money overall as people don't upgrade motherboards as much. Now with AM5 having DDR5 and PCIe5 and AMD supporting it for years, same as AM4 really. Their just won't be money in new motherboard next year, or the year after or even the year after.

Last edited:
Soldato
That i believe is why motherboards are being priced through the roof. They feel their part will last longer in a new build, so they make less money overall as people don't upgrade motherboards as much. Now with AM5 having DDR5 and PCIe5 and AMD supporting it for year, same as AM4 really.
I'll probably wait until the B650 MBs come...I've waited 10 years, I'm in no desperate rush. The B650 timing should also coincide with Intel's 13th gen release as well, so we'll have a clearer picture of how things play out then as well.

Back
Top Bottom