• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Honestly with most blocks etc needing a new bracket anyways it seems like making it thicker was wasted. They should have just got companies to make a new mounting system for the lower Z height and be done with it since the holes otherwise are same and it honestly wouldn't of been any different, made chips about 10degree cooler and saved 5-10watt still.

I would have to agree rather be having to get bracket

Associate
Thanks. Can the speed deficit be corrected through a cpu or bios upgrade? or are we still looking at new motherboards.

Motherboard will play a major factor in DDR5 maturation.

DDR5 signal integrity requirements are greater than DDR4. That's why you see high layer PCB's as a baseline for the even entry level boards over ddr4. As DDR5 matures, they will need to scale up. The routing of the traces themselves, mrc tuning, termination voltage tuning will evolve as mobo manufactures learn more. These aren't things they can retrofit.

Depending on the signaling needs, bad designs today will be problems tomorrow. Look at Z690 Apex Channel issues as an easy example. If someone is serious about high end RAM, you just have to unfortunately do your research and there's no easy answer.

But on Zen4, i wouldn't worry about RAM due to the poor implementation so it's a theoretical conversation anyway. Spend on the money on a delid kit, not high end RAM

Associate
is there expected to be a shortage of these new 7000's? i see gibbo said they have a few hundred of each, but i presume theyll go pretty quickly today?.... has there been any news on stocks with the run up to xmas?

Associate
So will there be any way to run say a 7600X under a NH-D15s and still keep your fans at about 600rpm with these chips or is the fan curve right out the f*ning window?
You can set whatever fan curve you want. The CPU will target 95C and adjust clock speeds and voltages to stay within that under heavy multi core workloads. If you run lower fan speeds and thus have less capacity for cooling all that will mean is the CPU will boost a little lower as it can't get rid of the head as quickly as it might like.

Associate
Serious question: if the things constantly Turbo until they hit 95 deg, how are we going to keep our fans and pumps silent-ish whilst still adapting to load?

I'm sure there's a solution, but not one which jumps out at me.

Soldato
Can someone also explain why the backplate needs updating to work sometimes. The holes and the Z height are same so if you have a backplate for the AM4 cooler surely the mounting point is the same there? I get not using the stock AM5 backplate but anyone with a custom cooler like EK or similar has a custom backplate anyways no?

Or is it for coolers that came with no backplate only? der8auer/EK state that you need one for the EK but that has a custom plate. Is there something on the AM5 spec that fouls the old backplates?

Associate
Serious question: if the things constantly Turbo until they hit 95 deg, how are we going to keep our fans and pumps silent-ish whilst still adapting to load?

You can run something like fancontrol and keep the fans low.

having fans blasting full speed won't help you any. The heat transfer from the die to the top of the IHS is the main issue.

Soldato

eco mode. reduces temps signifigantly and only a minor performance hit, sometimes its the same vs stock in games

Associate
You can run something like fancontrol and keep the fans low.

having fans blasting full speed won't help you any. The heat transfer from the die to the top of the IHS is the main issue.
Keeping the fans low doesn't adapt to load though.

Appreciate what you're saying about the heat not being dissipated to the IHS, that's new info to me. GN suggested it was due to an uneven surface on the IHS itself. Either way I'm sure keeping fans/pump running in line with load would be at least somewhat beneficial. I can set my fans to run off water temps, so I suppose my real issue is the water pump.
eco mode. reduces temps signifigantly and only a minor performance hit, sometimes its the same vs stock in games
Interesting. I figured I'd start undervolting rather than overclocking one day with Moore's law dying and companies chasing the last drop of performance via crazy power levels.

Reading Anandtech's article it seems to suggest you can set predetermined or manual TDP etc. limits that will hit before the 95 deg limit, so basically will boost like a Zen 3?

Soldato
Keeping the fans low doesn't adapt to load though.

Appreciate what you're saying about the heat not being dissipated to the IHS, that's new info to me. GN suggested it was due to an uneven surface on the IHS itself. Either way I'm sure keeping fans/pump running in line with load would be at least somewhat beneficial. I can set my fans to run off water temps, so I suppose my real issue is the water pump.

Interesting. I figured I'd start undervolting rather than overclocking one day with Moore's law dying and companies chasing the last drop of performance via crazy power levels.

Reading Anandtech's article it seems to suggest you can set predetermined or manual TDP etc. limits that will hit before the 95 deg limit, so basically will boost like a Zen 3?

overclocking days are pretty much done for real usage and everyday use undervolting has been the way for quite awhile now to increase peformance ,improve power and temps :)

Associate
overclocking days are pretty much done for real usage and everyday use undervolting has been the way for quite awhile now to increase peformance ,improve power and temps :)
Yeah Zen 3 was not exactly like the Conroe days :cry: Still; I managed to eke another 100 odd MHz max and 200 MHz all-core out of my 5900X: now it looks like I'll be reducing peak and sustained speeds to keep my rig silent.

Back
Top Bottom