• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

If rumours of 13900K (Raptor Lake) running 70-80C at full load are correct, then it would seem AMD have started building space heaters!

You see what i mean?????

I do wonder if too many people equate PC component temperature to the rise in room temperature, those that do need to go back to school.

You see what i mean?????
"Space Heater" is a joke that's been thrown around forums for many years now. Power consumption is the more important metric for the heat output to a room, though this is common knowledge ;)
Not as common as you may think. Certain people are fixated on temperature readings when it's watts drawn that matters. Who cares if 13th gen tops out at 80c, what if it's pulling north of 300w all by itself? that's a space heater

Hi all

I've always cooled my computers using air. Would a Noctua NH D15 and a load of Noctua fans be suitable for a 7950X in a mesh type chassis? Are all in one water coolers now a better solution? I can't go to full on custom water cooled due to lack of understanding / time!

Recommendations welcomed.

Ta

Hi all

I've always cooled my computers using air. Would a Noctua NH D15 and a load of Noctua fans be suitable for a 7950X in a mesh type chassis? Are all in one water coolers now a better solution? I can't go to full on custom water cooled due to lack of understanding / time!

Recommendations welcomed.

Ta

The NH D15 is better than a lot of AIO's so..... i think you're good with it.

Again why would this be a problem now? Now that AMD are doing it, why was it not a problem in all of the years Intel have been doing it?

Steve Burke never gave AMD any kudos for the efficiency of their CPU's during the previous years compared with Intel, instead he tried to manipulate in such a way as to make you believe AMD was somehow being dishonest while at the same time his own testing, which he can't fake without looking like a blatant lair, showed he was talking absolute nonsense.

That question is obviously not aimed at you, its rhetorical :)
I'm sure many of people here complained at intels chips for being hot and power hungry with pricey boards although it seems ok now AMDs chips are in the same boat.

Its crap, uses way too much power, too difficult to cool and you can't stick it on a $150 board if such a thing even exited on the Intel side.

Forget about the 12900 anything, the 12700K is the best CPU you can get right now, but even that has its problems.

I'm sure many of people here complained at intels chips for being hot and power hungry with pricey boards although it seems ok now AMDs chips are in the same boat.

Why are you quoting an old post of mine for that?

I never made a hypocritical argument for AMD on that, you don't know what i think, don't start putting words in my mouth.

Why are you quoting an old post of mine for that?

I never made a hypocritical argument for AMD on that, you don't know what i think, don't start putting words in my mouth.
I just thought it was ironic that all the things you said about the 12900k can be applied to Zen 4.

Last edited:
I do wonder if too many people equate PC component temperature to the rise in room temperature, those that do need to go back to school.
so, the air coming from the back of your pc isn't warming than the air int he room? how big is the room your pc is in?

Obviously, people are exaggerating and making it like a meme.... since AMD users used to claim how cool the chips run.

Even spiders seem to notice the wall near my pc is warmer than the rest of the room

Ordered 7900x earlier, bit discounted with a code elsewhere. 6400 Kingston RAM i wanted already went up to over 300 quid, 50-60 increase on the RGB kits pfft.. Got a non RGB kit for 240 odd instead as it was the last one in stock, which promptly went up in price.
I imagine i may regret these buys but i dunno, i was thinking Intel but then i was also thinking about no more upgrades after RPL, not sure i can be arsed to change out the board in 1-2 years when needed.

Now to decide what board.

Back
Top Bottom